Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3519

1       2       3              3519      
       3521              4345       4346       end

dtw757
Total Posts: 112

Thanks for posting this info and a remembrance to a man who was indeed a real life Hero. Not a Michael Jordan or a Michael Jackson but someone who did something for his adopted country that involved more than a basketball and a hoop or a glove and a moonwalk. I had the pleasure of meeting him following SERE school early in my Navy flight career. Along with Jess McElroy (Korean War POW) and Douglas Hegdahl(Vietnam POW) you could only hope that you would have the strength and drive that these people had. For those that can't find the documentary, there is an excellent read from HarperCollins publishing, "Hero Found" by Bruce Henderson.

Slug69 wrote:I
Hi Everyone am posting here as you all would appreciate better than some others,

People have amazing stories to tell and sometimes they get documented really well. I felt compelled to tell/remind you about Dieter Dengler (Lieutenant, USN) after recently showing my wife the documentary made about his amazing life. “Little Dieter Needs to Fly”

You don’t have to be born in America to become an American Hero. He most certainly is an American hero.

His lust to fly aircraft meant he left his ancestral home in Germany after WW2 to move to America to become a pilot. What happened to him is simply amazing and without a doubt one of the best stories I have heard to come out of the Vietnam war.

I won’t spoil it for anyone as I am not a good story teller and recommend purchasing the Documentary as it is Dieter Dengler himself who narrates and describes what happened to him in first person and his enthusiasm in explaining gives an insight about how passionate he was about flying. It was made by Werner Herzog in 1997 who is one of the most accomplished directors/movie makers of our time. Part of Dieter’s life was also made into a feature film as well “Rescue Dawn” (2007)

If you can’t do the movie thing, there is a Wikipedia page and many tributes/info pages about him online.

After cheating death many times he sadly passed away a few years ago after becoming ill with ALS. (true to form though, he died when he chose and where)

Navy Cross
DFC
Purple Heart
Air Medal

His gravestone photo, with permission, credited to www.arlingtoncemetery.net

dieter-dengler-section60-042304 by www.arlingtoncemetery.net, on Flickr

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3073

Jay:
the moon shot - yes!

Glenn Watson

I dont know about you guys, but I think the Baron is one the best looking airframes out there..

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

The ones with the double doors make darn good platforms too Glenn. Not that you need any advice..........

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1907

USAF jello making machines headed for the EOR...

Glenn Watson

Hi JW:
Thanks I'd love to have a subject that needed B58 speed...hmmm.

Great pics of Bryan!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Sad to report the Sukhoi that i've been learning aerobatics in has been sold...My friends Andrew and Jeff have owned for 8 years and wanted photos that clearly showed their faces. Jeff didnt care about full discs..

oops, i accidentally got both

Glenn

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

A couple from the recent Temora Aviation Museum fly day...

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1907

Another from my recent visit to Luke…

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3893

david russell wrote:
stevez wrote:
astrobrian wrote:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/small-earthquake-hits-north-texas-late-tuesday-night/ Another paycheck hits the bank for Jim

Californians are smirking behind their hands over the sight of a 3.0 making the headlines in Texas. Sort of the way Coloradans laugh when a half inch of snow brings Atlanta to a standstill.

Looks like Colorado had a 4.4 out West this evening. Still smirk worthy, but bigger.

Or another nuke went off underground !

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16221

Looks like today is going to be a perfect day to run more Hero 3 Beta tests once the fog lifts. I'm headed to HQ to warm the Cub up.

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 73

Have fun Jim and remember to post the shots for all of us stuck to the ground.

yipDog
Total Posts: 132

Fun at Sky Harbor last night...

futurshox
Total Posts: 2415

I have a new video! This was filmed last April at the Bluebonnet Airshow in Burnet, at which I put a pair of GoPro2 cameras into each T-28 of the Trojan Phlyers. The release has been delayed for a few reasons (the team used some footage in their ICAS video, for one) but now I can show it to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3GFTPR1u8

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3430

yipDog wrote:
Fun at Sky Harbor last night...

Nice work!

Looks like you and Jay were dancing cheek to cheek.

stevezzzz

futurshox wrote:
I have a new video! This was filmed last April at the Bluebonnet Airshow in Burnet, at which I put a pair of GoPro2 cameras into each T-28 of the Trojan Phlyers. The release has been delayed for a few reasons (the team used some footage in their ICAS video, for one) but now I can show it to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3GFTPR1u8

Well done all around, Jo: good camera angles, nicely edited for an aviation audience, cockpit audio adds a lot, and the music is well chosen, too.

Leviathor
Total Posts: 193

FYI for people not stuck in the frozen north:

Commemorative Air Force
2017 N. Greenfield Road
Mesa, AZ 85215

www.azcaf.org

There will be a time of remembrance for Robert Odegaard at the CAF Arizona Wing on
January 31, 2013
from 4:15-7:30 pm.

A Missing Man Fly Over will take place at approximately 4:15.

For all of the Snow Birds and folks who were unable to attend either the
Celebration of Life Memorial Service in Kindred or the Fargo Air Museum.

Please forward to your fellow Snowbirds, aviators and friends
who would like another opportunity to pay tribute to our dear friend Robert.

stevezzzz

Glenn Watson wrote:
I dont know about you guys, but I think the Baron is one the best looking airframes out there..

Glenn

It's a classic, for sure. Still looks good after all these years, and you made the most of it.

1       2       3              3519      
       3521              4345       4346       end