Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3757

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3757

Glenn

futurshox
Total Posts: 2744

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, where's Lady Jo? I'm getting worried about her. And how about Sir Donald?

*raises hand*
I'm here! Just haven't had a lot to say recently.... mind you, Glenn's been taking up the slack from this corner of Texas, I think....

I have booked a trip to the UK in March. It will be busy; I'm seeing five different sets of friends/family and spending a week in the office. I will be transitioning from Heathrow across London on Saturday 9th March, and back again on Monday 25th. If anyone's in the area those days and wants to grab a coffee or beer, please do let me know!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 18828

Good to hear from you Jo. Glad you're doing well. Sounds like your trip east will be action packed.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2832

Nineteen seconds of monumental stupidity in North Texas.
http://www.kens5.com/news/FAA-looking-into-dangerous-stunt-at-North-Texas-airport-188028631.html

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

The monumental stupidity was letting someone on the runway with a camera who obviously doesn't "get it"

I've seen exactly the same type of video come out of other airshow performer's camps but nobody is screaming like a little girl.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Appropriate Signage...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4056

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Appropriate Signage...

["Use Noise Abatement Procedures"]

Too late!

stevezzzz

Tim Adams wrote:
http://www.kens5.com/news/FAA-looking-into-dangerous-stunt-at-North-Texas-airport-188028631.html

Well...

If I were setting up this shot I would have marked the runway spot where the videographer was to stand at a half-span-plus-n-feet from the edge stripe, so the pilot has something to aim for that guarantees clearance, minimal though it may be. You can see in the video that the pilot has the Pitts stabilized, wings level, angling across the runway and clearly aimed to miss the videographer. Then he starts a bank _toward_ the videographer about a half-second before passing his/her position. It's awfully close, but the angle's improving rapidly in the last couple of frames before he passes by. Mind you, I would never volunteer to be that videographer and it was _really_ close. All I'm saying is that it was probably carefully set up and there was an easy out until a moment before minimum separation, if anything hadn't looked right.

Reminds me of the story Derek Piggott told us one day at the late, lamented Black Forest Gliderport, talking about filming the classic aviation movie, The Blue Max. His stunt on this occasion required flying a WWI fighter under a bridge with piers that were spaced only a few feet wider than his wingspan. In setting up the stunt he placed two poles at different distances on the far side of the bridge to set up a sort of range: if he had the poles lined up on approaching the bridge he could be assured of clearance on both wingtips; if he didn't have the poles lined up, he'd just pop over the bridge and go around to try again. It worked, they shot 20 takes, and he lived to tell the story.

Here's an imdb.com page that mentions the stunt: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/trivia

stevezzzz

Those Wacky Canadians, Eh?

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1958

if I were setting up that shot I would have put the camera on a tripod or any other form of support and recorded the screaming in post...which is what the lawyer should claim :P

realistically though, given how much the movements seem amplified, I would imagine there is a bit of a zoom going on there, the plane is moving across the runway, and then banks back over it, so I could foresee a circumstance where it's not nearly as close as that video makes it seem. Still close enough to piss off the FAA though...and the ridiculous screaming probably doesn't help.

RobMoser
Total Posts: 864

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Appropriate Signage...

It looks worse from the back than the front

"Do these prop disks make my butt look big?"

Rob

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 958

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, where's Lady Jo? I'm getting worried about her. And how about Sir Donald?

Jim, All,

Just to let you know that I hit the panic button this afternoon. Donald just checked in by text about 15 minutes ago. I do know that there has been a lot of snow down where he lives. He knows about our concern.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2744

Good news about Donald! He's pretty rural isn't he? Maybe his internet went down.

Now, what's with all you lot hating on the looks of the Piaggio? I think they look cool.

Meanwhile, Kirby Chambliss crashed in El Salvador today, practising for a show. His plane is a write-off but he's OK. The news report is here (in Spanish; use Google translate): http://www.elsalvador.com/mwedh/nota/nota_completa.asp?idCat=47654&idArt=7625045

However I am sure Skip Stewart won't mind me copying his Facebook update here:
There is a lot of false information about Kirby out there. I was flying off his wing practicing a dual routine when it happened. So this is the correct information. We were flying a formation high alpha pass. At the end of the runway Kirby's engine quit. There was nowhere to land. He descended into a rocky ravine and crashed onto the side of a steep embankment. I was watching him the whole way. The plane crashed into small trees and flipped over. The airplane was badly damaged, but Kirby extracted himself and walked to a clearing. I had immediately called for the rescue helicopter and they were there very quickly. A testament to the readiness of the El Salvadorian military. Kirby is fine with superficial scrapes and bruises.

TOPP:

Angry
Total Posts: 1216

Good to hear everyopnes AOK & accounted for...

I have a friend just out of London,...hes headed for a large Motel in the centre of town for a few days, figures its warmer & better supplied there than home.

Someones gotta give me some info on the Piaggio noise thing ? i dont get it,...is it REALLY loud ??

Al

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Tim Adams wrote:

Hmmm well if he has a waiver what would be done? Crazy yes, but if allowed to -shrug- Not sure where I fall on this one, except I wouldn't be holding the camera. What worries me most is how close he comes to the ground, one little unexpected drop in height, it would be all over.

stevezzzz

Angry wrote:

Someones gotta give me some info on the Piaggio noise thing ? i dont get it,...is it REALLY loud ??

Al

The Avanti is really loud for what it is, and the noise it makes is unlike anything else you've ever heard with two props, very harsh and un-turbine-like, almost a snarl. I suspect the prop tips are close to supersonic and there's some funky interference with the airflow coming off the wing.

stevezzzz

Nice ride, Mr. Hinton. Man, talk about smooth: those contra-rotating Allisons just purr.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2832

Yes, I would say Big Steve has a pretty good job.

1       2       3              3516      
       3518              4835       4836       end