Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3512

1       2       3              3512      
       3514              4137       4138       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15464

I'm supposed to shoot a pair of them air to air in the Spring. The angle of choice is going to be from slightly above to minimize the aforementioned design characteristics. My guess is that they'll look fairly cool from that angle, in the right light. Heck, Moms Mabley can be made to look ok "in the right light".

Now see! This post was not a TOP a few seconds ago and now it is....uh, with no pic..............

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4220

A most excellent page of adds!

Hey, need a favor...

I swapped out my old SpyderPro 2 for a ColorMunki "Display" today and the Munki took my apparent brightness way, way down when it did its thing.

Anything about this shot look wonky? First edit with the new monitor profile...
Per the histogram in LR, nothing is blown or crushed and the whites are a few degrees warmer than dead neutral because it was early morning.

JWilsonphoto

On the subject of A2A, one of my clients just bought a new BBJ and we're going to put it behind the 25 soon. Looking for sunset and a stable layer so we can play with the "Paul Bowen" effect. BBJ's with winglets really churn up the air.

JWilsonphoto

No Jay, looks beautiful on my MacBook Pro. Wonderful capture btw. Look at all the cool stuff happening on that guy's wings. Isn't that an amazing thing to watch?

FlyingPhotog

Thanks for applying your Mk1Mod0 eyeballs Jim.

BBJ in flight sounds like a dream man!

bobl
Total Posts: 2747

Here's an interesting read...
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/article_e8c2e43a-63a2-11e2-bb69-001a4bcf6878.html

JWilsonphoto

I think I mentioned this before, but I bought all that calibration stuff and went through the motions on my MacPro, and MacBook Pro. I ended up liking the Adobe sRGB profile better. I know there are repeatability issues if you are printing your own images, so that might change things. I just set everything back to sRGB and it's been that way since.

I'd say your settings are especially good on contrast because you have some very tender areas there that could blow out in the blink of an eye, and everything looks very nice.

JWilsonphoto

Now Bob, that's a guy to emulate! Everyone should have at least an hour of 51 time in their logbook! 94, hmmm, that'd give me 30 years and a few months left to hone my skills, I'd take that if You're listening Lord.......

JWilsonphoto

There's a possibility that I'll have a BBJ behind us at Alliance this Fall as well. Anyone interested in shooting something on a larger scale?

JWilsonphoto

Yesterday afternoon I rolled the Cub out and put an hour on it. The air was pleasantly stable and temps were comfortable. Nine hot air balloons were in the process of launching just off to the east of KTKI. I flew Glenn's and my low level route around the lake. The water was like a mirror. The day was made for a Cub, low and slow taking it all in. What a privilege and a blessing it is to be able to lift off and lose one's self in the wonder of flight.

JWilsonphoto

Yesterday afternoon I rolled the Cub out and put an hour on it. The air was pleasantly stable and temps were comfortable. Nine hot air balloons were in the process of launching just off to the east of KTKI. I flew Glenn's and my low level route around the lake. The water was like a mirror. The day was made for a Cub, low and slow taking it all in. What a privilege and a blessing it is to be able to lift off and lose one's self in the wonder of flight.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3815

Jim...I think that is worth saying a third time !...

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 2980

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Hey, need a favor...

I swapped out my old SpyderPro 2 for a ColorMunki "Display" today and the Munki took my apparent brightness way, way down when it did its thing.

Per the histogram in LR, nothing is blown or crushed and the whites are a few degrees warmer than dead neutral because it was early morning.

Nothing wonky to my eye on either the 30" Cinema HD or the new, 27" iMac: gorgeous, Jay. Gotta love Mother Nature's high-alpha boundary layer control solution.

For reasons that are not clear to me, the iMac's screen is bluer and brighter than the 30" Cinema, and that's after I used Apple's manual calibration functions on both. Like Jim, I ended up reverting to the iMac's native calibration. I don't own any 3rd-part calibration gear; anybody want to recommend something?

FlyingPhotog

I guess I can give the X-Rite ColorMunki Display an opposable thumb up given that the feedback here is solid!

Got mine from NewEgg and it came bundled with the pocket-sized Color Checker!

Angry
Total Posts: 1209

stevez wrote:
Bill Gass wrote:
What a goofy looking plane Jeff. Do you have to have a different rating to fly one like this compared to a normal twin engine ?

Goofy looking? I've always thought the Avanti looks great though, granted, it's not your grandmother's executive twin turboprop.

But from the ground it sounds like a demented chainsaw on nitromethane. And you can quote me on that.

Always thought they were way cool...
Funny Italian styling usually means beautiful form & flowing lines,...guess it needs the canard but it looks like an afterthought n spoils the lines....

Whats with the sound

Al

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

I can wish huh Zim, but no wasn't me, looks like Greg. I wasn't able to be up at Alliance with the crew. The reasons for that are being dealt with as we speak though

That said, I am making sure I get up there for '13

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2550

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Hey, need a favor...

Nice, you know you have one of the best in the country right there is AZ by you. http://www.ejphoto.com/
He does mostly nature, but runs a duck workshop and is a fantastic avian photographer also.

rkelley
Total Posts: 511

Just checking in folks, it's been awhile since I've had anything to contribute. As always y thanks to each of you for the outstanding images shared in this thread.

My family and I spent sometime yesterday afternoon with an old friend, and while I don't have images to share yet I will in the future. This fellow is one of the true gentlemen of aviation, he is the founding president of both the Abbotsford Flying Club and the Abbotsford International Airshow. What an amazing experience to sit in his home and listen to his recollections and stories of the 50+ years these organizations have been around.

And to top the afternoon off, he let us have a look at some of the documents he's collected over the years. He has a collection of programs from each of the years of the Abbotsford airshow, what a great look into the history of our community. Each of these programs is a reflection of what was important and happening in the community each year.

And then there was the look at his personal log books, spanning an amazing array of aircraft flown. He first flew as a part of the Dutch Airforce in Tigermoths, Harvards, Oxfords, Spitfires, and the Meteor. His log book then goes onto reflect his time as a flight instructor in Canada, and a bunch of his students are now well recognized aviators in their own right. And then there's a bunch of time flying the Hercules for Pacific Western Airlines. And I think I saw early 737 and L-188 time.

And speaking of holding history in your hands, it seemed an amazing privledge to hold and leaf through his pristine copy of the 1947 version of the Spitfire pilots manual.

Folks, when you have the opportunity to spend time with these folks who've come before us, take it! You'll never regret learning from the experience of these people. They have so much to offer, of we're just willing to listen.

RK

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2550

Couple from OSH.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 2980

rkelley wrote:
Folks, when you have the opportunity to spend time with these folks who've come before us, take it! You'll never regret learning from the experience of these people. They have so much to offer, of we're just willing to listen.

RK

Amen, Randy!

1       2       3              3512      
       3514              4137       4138       end