Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3511

1       2       3              3511      
       3513              4354       4355       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16230

Hmmm, better get stitching on those merit badges. Well done, on top of well done Glenn. It appears that you were born for this stuff, ain't it great!? Absolutely addictive.

JWilsonphoto

Ran the first test on my Hero3 this afternoon. Nothing real complicated, just a simple hour in the Cub on a beautiful afternoon. The footage is downloading as we speak.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3099

I'll tell you what was wild was after we peeled off doing loops rear facing with the canopy still open! I was running a GoPro as well with a head mount so i'll see if anything interesting comes from that reel. I feel like i should be in an '80's Olivia Newton John video with that silly head strap.

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

Fun Glenn!

Here's a screen capture from the Hero 3. My first impression is the footage is substantially better than the 2. Not necessarily much sharper, but some. More the 24p frame rate combined with overall quality of the capture. The imagery from the Hero 3 looks much more like it was captured with a higher end video camera. It definitely has a different look. More tests to come.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

One of the many Piaggio's that "push" in and out of KSDL.

JWilsonphoto

That's great performing aircraft, but I'd have to look the other way until I boarded it.

JWilsonphoto

Headed out to get an additional Hero3 and some accessories. The extended life battery seems to be a must, I got less than an hour with it yesterday. I suppose that's understandable with the extra umph that's packed into it. The lens, when you have it in the widest mode seems much wider than the Hero 2. Next B25 mission I'm going to have these stuck all over the place, and in the subjects as well. Done correctly, that should provide clips to make a pretty cool film.

I can hardly wait to see Glenn's film from yesterday. Sitting backwards looping!? Definitely extra points for that!

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3900

What a goofy looking plane Jeff. Do you have to have a different rating to fly one like this compared to a normal twin engine ?

JWilsonphoto

No, the flight characteristics are a bit different due to the "pusher" configuration the position of the engines, and the canard on the airframe, but the rating is the same as any twin turboprop. The Piaggio is fast, but it's fast at a premium price for a turboprop. They try to compensate for the higher initial price by selling potential owners on the reduced operating costs when compared to a jet, which has some merit. Being of Italian descent, I'm surprised that the design isn't sexier, it appears to be modeled after a catfish when viewed head on.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3460

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Fun Glenn!

Here's a screen capture from the Hero 3. My first impression is the footage is substantially better than the 2. Not necessarily much sharper, but some. More the 24p frame rate combined with overall quality of the capture. The imagery from the Hero 3 looks much more like it was captured with a higher end video camera. It definitely has a different look. More tests to come.

So that's why they call it a Hero cam...

stevezzzz

Bill Gass wrote:
What a goofy looking plane Jeff. Do you have to have a different rating to fly one like this compared to a normal twin engine ?

Goofy looking? I've always thought the Avanti looks great though, granted, it's not your grandmother's executive twin turboprop.

But from the ground it sounds like a demented chainsaw on nitromethane. And you can quote me on that.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Jim: I was thinking more a Seal than a Catfish. And if you get video of one bouncing a lighting it might even look more so

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3900

Catfish, good one. Looks like it might be a little more quiet also.

david russell
Total Posts: 749

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Catfish 12:00......................

I think that this previous post by Jim is illustrative of the catfish moniker.

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Caught this lil unusual SEAREY taking off yesterday ... I wouldn't wanna put down on anything higher than a 1 foot chop !

stevezzzz

Mining Alliance folders. I'd forgotten all the stuff I shot on the last day when it was as cold as a witch's tit and Jim and I bailed before noon. Here's Devil Dog: bombs away! Is that you peering out the side window behind the copilot's seat, Brian?

Plus the USAF Heritage Flight featuring the F-4, P-38 and F-86, a beautiful sight.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1909

Like Steve, mining some older images. This is from NAFEC - a little Prowler love...

stevezzzz

A little Mustang love from Alliance. J-A, can you identify this one?

JWilsonphoto

Well Bill, it isn't quieter in or, and especially, out. Zim's description of the audio portion is right on the money. A Beech Starship sounds exactly the same, but the lines are much more aesthetic. That, however is in the eye of the beholder, the diversity of which makes the world go around.

Like the old Indian (am I allowed to say that?) Chief said, "If everyone thought like me, everyone would want my squaw!" We probably should have treated them a little differently and absorbed some of that wisdom.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3635

stevez wrote:
A little Mustang love from Alliance. J-A, can you identify this one?

Surrrrrrre its a beauty the Bratt III all nice and shiney

1       2       3              3511      
       3513              4354       4355       end