3493              4340       4341       end

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

The Dog

TurbosLS1ta
Total Posts: 27

astrobrian wrote:
The Dog

Ugh, I love watching that thing fly, but hate hearing and smelling it take off...

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2648

You mean f/32 is not the 500's sweet spot? That's what you get with harsh morning sun, -.7EV so I don't blow the whites out on the cars, at 1/80, ISO 100.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Very nice, Tim.

dtw757
Total Posts: 112

New paint American Airlines 777-300ER leaving the paint shop in Portland among the scud and drizzle here this morning.

American Airlines new paint by stuart.mike, on Flickr

bobl
Total Posts: 2751

Stuart,
Nice shot of a plain plane.

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

gerov wrote:
Al,
if you have the screwin filterholder, I believe any 52mm threaded filter will work on this. The challenge is that you can't adjust the ND settings without pulling the filter holder out of the lens, and then you're just inviting dust and other cr$p into the lens. I would recommend getting fixed ND filters as Jay has mentioned, and developing a sense for when to use which one.

The other drawback to the variable ND filters is that if you really crank them up, you get an "X" pattern in the image with the outsides being darker, and it happens even with the good filters (I bought a Heliopan variable ND this summer and had this issue). Effectively, the variable ND is two polarizers stacked, which I understand causes this issue as the ND value increases.

I think the cost of two ND filters will also be significantly less than the variable NDs.

just my $0.02,
Gero

Thanks Gero,..I got a filter holder in mine, its got just a gelatin filter atm,...
So i just look for a threaded 52mm filter.., I agree about opening the top to change the filter,....not too keen on that...

Al

Angry

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Angry wrote:
Jay,

Are these the drop in filters in the back of the 300,f2.8
Can you tell me where you get the Variable ones from ??

Al

The shot above was with a 77mm front-mounted filter Al on my 70-200.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably won't find a 52mm version that will work with the large prime drop-in carrier for two reasons:
1) The drop in carrier needs a low-profile, "thin" 52mm filter and a variable ND isn't thin by any means
2) Aside from the purpose-built drop-in CPL, you'd have no way to adjust the filter once it got dropped in

I'm sure the usual suspects carry Variable ND filters. The one in my possession happens to be a Singh-Ray model.

I thought you were using your 300 2.8....., Ive got a 70-200 f2.8 II, & somewhere (??) I have a variable ND which I bought for my WA 10-20 for my Rig shots....

I might look at a CP for the 300 does anyone use them , I dont use one on my 100-400 or 70-200 escpecially at airshows, makes the sky change too much..

Thanks

Al

Angry

Well, Elvis has arrived in Wagga Wagga....
Seems the powers to be have sent malcolm elsewhere...& replaced him with Elvis....
An afternoon shot yesterday... I cant seem to get these guys in the air !!

Firey sunset Down Under...

Al

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3891

That's our sheet metal hangin under that guy ( the water box/tank ).
I guess if he stays put, that's a good thing !
Nice shots Al.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4540

Super, Man!

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2103

TurbosLS1ta, welcome to MA2A. You have now joined the ranks of the best thread on the internet. Please make yourself a part of the family. Enjoy the company that you are now with, because the level of knowledge here is ginormous. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away and someone should be along shortly to answer them.

Regards, Colin

ELinder
Total Posts: 508

Angry wrote:

I might look at a CP for the 300 does anyone use them , I dont use one on my 100-400 or 70-200 escpecially at airshows, makes the sky change too much..

Al

I've only used the drop in CP on my Nikon 300 2.8 twice so far, with mixed results. Some of the shots it helped, some I didn't like the effect, and it makes matching the sky a chore across shots. Still, when it helps I really like the result, so I'll try it a few more times. If it were possible to use an ND filter I'd try it, but I don't see how it's possible. The filter holder isn't interchangeable, and there's no threads on the front.

Erich

yipDog
Total Posts: 132

Thanks

Al

I have tried them for static shots and the control is great, neat results possible. Doesn't do well for moving objects though as you suspected.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16218

The sounds and smells of a B25 on take off, or any other flight mode, pure heaven to me.

JWilsonphoto

Nice image Stuart! Nary a bug smashed on it yet. Man, that must take a few gallons of paint!

JWilsonphoto

My next 5D arrived this afternoon, it will go into service at HQ tomorrow. Once it's configured and loaded, my storage and back up system should be back to a comfortable level with enough space for 2013 and a little beyond. The Drobos have finally allowed me to begin consolidating, thereby reducing a bunch of peripheral drives and smaller arrays. Simpler is better.

JWilsonphoto

The more, the merrier.......................

dtw757
Total Posts: 112

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice image Stuart! Nary a bug smashed on it yet. Man, that must take a few gallons of paint!

Thank you to yourself and Bobi. Guess they got tired(expense) of polishing the aluminum.

JWilsonphoto

Working on the final touches for KTKI's trade show booth. Should be an outstanding presentation for the airport. This will go on the podium that adds dimension to the display.............

1       2       3              3491      
       3493              4340       4341       end