Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3489

1       2       3              3489      
       3491              4533       4534       end

Angry
Total Posts: 1216

msalvetti wrote:
Angry wrote:

I still got my 7D, but bought a 1Dmk4 on Jims & Jays recommendation.... now ive got 2...both per -loved,....$2700 & $2500 AUD ....What a great camera...
However at night under (poor) lights shooting the local Aussie Rules footy I need max ISO the 5D3 purchase pays off....very good high ISO preformance, pretty good AF too.

Al

Thanks Al. I was thinking about how you went to the MkIV from the 7D. I'll probably keep mine too, I like the idea of two bodies, although not sure how often I'll realistically use the 7D. Which has me thinking of selling it.

Not earning any money with my gear makes this obsession hard to justify.

Mark

Obsession is a harsh is a harsh term ,.....I just havent been diagnosed ,....yet....
I was going to sell my 7D but as its only worth about $800 no-one here is keen, they spend $1100 and get a new one....I used it a few months ago , bright sunny day with Long length required at Footy.....that crop factor adds the little extra
Love the 1D4 though......a little different to operate,..n sadly it doesnt have a Q button ...only thing I dont like about it....AF is repeatably awsome....exposure is great,....High ISO is way better than the 7D..

@ Glenn, awsome images,...just love the last light shot....

Al

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19276

Nice work Glenn! Good luck in your competition! Guess you are a bonafide tailwheel pilot!! Now we just need to get you behind a big round engine and your addiction will be in full swing!

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

I'm caught up on most of my MATA reading, but there's still a chunk of the 38th century (pages 3700-3800) that I haven't finished, so here's a note from page 3772...

JWilsonphoto wrote:
The choice came down to the PC12 and the Socata TBM 850. I chose the slower, but roomier PC after researching the two airplanes thoroughly. I figured cruise speeds of 260 to 280 knots would be plenty fast for my missions and the forgiving flight characteristics and stability of the Pilatus would give me the extra margin of safety and confidence that I always look for in an aircraft. This process will be fun!

The practicality of a TBM is very limited in my book. Goes fast, can carry quite a lot of payload... but there's just nowhere to put "stuff". Sure, you can carry 900-1000 pounds of payload, but it's going to be in the cabin with you, or you'll have people plus toothbrushes. I've looked at it a bunch of times, just can't wrap my mind around really using a TBM for many missions.

(I'll go find an image for TOPP now...)

futurshox
Total Posts: 2777

I made a timelapse video at Oshkosh; jut got the thing put together this morning:

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

Sweet video Jo! Makes me want to go back. Is it July 2014 yet?

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3835

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice work Glenn! Good luck in your competition! Guess you are a bonafide tailwheel pilot!! Now we just need to get you behind a big round engine and your addiction will be in full swing!

Hi JW:
I guess so - out of every aerobatic figure i've ever done in my life nothing scares me more than the landing!

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

I agree Rodolfo, not a difficult choice at all. They are telling us that ours will be taken from green to delivery in about 90 days.

Given the mistake we are about to make in the Middle East, jet A should be around $20 a gallon by then.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1651

Nice mixture of aluminum tubes and burners, in HD...

" target="_blank">Wolfe Air Reel

JWilsonphoto

Glenn Watson wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

Hi JW:
I guess so - out of every aerobatic figure i've ever done in my life nothing scares me more than the landing!

Glenn

Oh wait until your are up there all by yourself in some big thundering warbird, looking over the nose at a ribbon of concrete that will virtually disappear before you land on it. All kinds of fun!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4085

Leo Hursh wrote:
Nice mixture of aluminum tubes and burners, in HD...

" target="_blank">Wolfe Air Reel

Nice demo reel. I thought Roger Tonry's presentation at ISAP XII in Seattle was one of the highlights of the symposium.

Rodolfo Paiz

And from page 3774...

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I was just talking with a friend across the way who bought a new TBM 850 9 months ago. He had about 250TT, none in high performance, much less turbines when he bought the 850. [...] I am a different sort when it comes to this stuff though. Paul was ready to solo me in the Six at 5 hours, I had him fly with me for five more until he jumped out one day and told me in mixed polish/english, "Is time, you must be brave!"

On this, I'm even more conservative than you. I forced myself to fly VFR-only for 200 hours (no easy task in a 160hp C172N at a mountain airport at 5,000' MSL) before going IFR, and I logged 90 hours of simulated IFR on business trips with my instructor in the right seat before actually doing my instrument training. I think I had 350 TT before I made my first solo flight in actual IFR, and in my own Seneca II.

Man, I loved that airplane: cheap to operate, cheap to maintain, trustworthy, reliable, safe, and comfortable. That 49" wide cabin puts any Bonanza or Baron to shame.

david russell
Total Posts: 754

Hey all you Austin and San Antonio area pilots, I just saw this on AOPA's daily email:

Redbird Skyport to sell fuel for a buck during October
The Redbird Skyport in San Marcos, Texas, announced that it will sell avgas for only a dollar per gallon during the month of October. The company will ask customers to take a short survey about their flying habits and the effect the cost of fuel has on them. Redbird plans to publish survey results on its website

I imagine that there are limits, but wow, it sounds good!

Rodolfo Paiz

That does sound good! A little too much of a detour from my regular routes, mind you... but good!

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

futurshox wrote:
I made a timelapse video at Oshkosh; jut got the thing put together this morning:

Jo,
that's fabulous.

Gero

JWilsonphoto

Nothing wrong with conservative Rodolfo, that perspective keeps smoking holes at bay. The beauty of my situation is the fact that we'll have pilots on staff, so even after I'm signed off I can enlist one for the right seat if weather warrants. I'm looking forward to flying the G1000 panel in the Skylane a whole lot before attempting much of anything in the Pilatus.

I've got a few more weeks of "sleeping" with Martha King and then I'll have my written behind me. Actually, I say that, but I spent most of today walking properties with an architect which resulted in the addition of six assignments to an already loaded calendar.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

One from the files 2009 going to give it another try in a couple of weeks with Marcel

JWilsonphoto

Nice Lady Jo!

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2457

I was beginning to feel left out with all these Super Cubs - here's the one at Shuttleworth
Niall

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

B&W

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

futurshox wrote:

Nice! So that's what you were up to...

1       2       3              3489      
       3491              4533       4534       end