Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3485

1       2       3              3485      
       3487              4873       4874       end

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

skyhawkpilot wrote:

Your welcome! I have plenty more where those came from. I personally have not taken the Then and Now tour, but I did see a lot of the older launch complexes while I covered NASA/Air Force Launches in college. I didn't sleep for a while after that tour, or before and after any of the shuttle missions I was fortunate witness. I kept having dreams of going into space. Then woke up and realized, I wasn't. I always wanted to go to at least space camp, but never did.

Yeah sleep while covering missions was hard to come by, especially from the time of RSS through launch, great times had even if only for 2 missions

astrobrian

Mike, those Strike Eagles are stunning! Nicely done

astrobrian

stevez wrote:
My strategy when it comes to archiving data is to keep everything I've ever done digitally on the current computer's internal disks or attached external storage. My backup strategy covers both, which means that I don't have to worry about old data storage protocols and/or media: As disk space becomes cheaper and disk drives hold more data, I just copy everything to new disk drives every two or three years and let the old media go. Much better, in my opinion, than worrying about the shelf life of a bunch of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's and Zip drives. (And, yes, I still have some data tape reels from a DEC PDP-4 in storage, not that I need them for anything.) Even if the media is good, who still has the (working) equipment to read Zip drives and reel-to-reel computer tapes?

Or Jazz drives I am one to agree with the internal mixed with external for backing up, add on top of that online ftp as well when the monthly ISP bandwidth isn't exceeded

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4076

Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling just been searching for some decals in different scales mostly 1/48 and 1/32 scale just came about 3 sets in 1/32 scale.
For a specific B25 i can't believe it but Kitsworld from the Uk just released 2 sets in 1/32 scale of the Pacific Prowler and Devil Dog only drawback is that they are only available in 1/32 scale the third set is for the Gunfighter P51 I think i'm going to shoot them a mail if there are plans for releasing them in 1/48 scale in the near future as i don't have the room for 1/32 scale B25 maybe just one but certainly not for two..
Very cool lets see if i can show some of them...

Devil Dog

Only can show the page's of the Prowler and Gunfighter
Pacific Prowler
P51D Gunfighter

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

Such clarity in the plane picture. Amazing shot.

RobMoser
Total Posts: 865

astrobrian wrote:
stevez wrote:
My strategy when it comes to archiving data is to keep everything I've ever done digitally on the current computer's internal disks or attached external storage. My backup strategy covers both, which means that I don't have to worry about old data storage protocols and/or media: As disk space becomes cheaper and disk drives hold more data, I just copy everything to new disk drives every two or three years and let the old media go. Much better, in my opinion, than worrying about the shelf life of a bunch of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's and Zip drives. (And, yes, I still have some data tape reels from a DEC PDP-4 in storage, not that I need them for anything.) Even if the media is good, who still has the (working) equipment to read Zip drives and reel-to-reel computer tapes?

Or Jazz drives I am one to agree with the internal mixed with external for backing up, add on top of that online ftp as well when the monthly ISP bandwidth isn't exceeded

I have two SCSI based Jazz drives and one SCSI Zip drive to hand

Rob

USM IS
Total Posts: 1683

astrobrian wrote:
Mike, those Strike Eagles are stunning! Nicely done

Thank you sir! Mike

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

I was remiss in not giving you an "attaboy" as well for those Strike Eagle shots, Mike. The first one especially is world-class pro material... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Smoking captures.

Rodolfo Paiz

RobMoser wrote:
I have two SCSI based Jazz drives and one SCSI Zip drive to hand

You also have a rather unique penchant for older gear, Rob, along with the technical skills to keep using it in environments where the average consumer -- heck, the average IT guy -- would have long since given up the chase. I'm sure your 500P would agree.

Not only do you have the only Jazz and Zip drives I know to be still in operation, you have the only SCSI devices I know to be still in operation. Mine all went west a long time ago.

Rodolfo Paiz

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Rodolfo, looks like a wonderful vacation spot, and glad you're having so much fun with the small cam. I'm thinking that I should head to the airport in the morning and see how well mine does as a TC on the zoom lenses on the commercial arrivals and departures

And so glad your dad is doing well, keep him at that PT and rehab I'm glad I did, it sure helped with my shoulder after rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago.

Thanks, Laura... I'll do my best to help keep his chin up. The "vacation spot" is a jewel indeed, but it's not mine. Thank God for that, I'd hate to be responsible for its upkeep. Better to be a guest sometimes.

USM IS
Total Posts: 1683

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I was remiss in not giving you an "attaboy" as well for those Strike Eagle shots, Mike. The first one especially is world-class pro material... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Smoking captures.

Thank you Rodolfo, not remiss at all. Just a little twist on air worthy birds.

Mike

Rodolfo Paiz

USM IS wrote:
Thank you Rodolfo, not remiss at all. Just a little twist on air worthy birds.

Poppycock.

If I'd shot that first image, I'd have a 40x60 of it up on my office wall within a week.

ELinder
Total Posts: 993

Wish I had used a slightly slower shutter speed on this one, but I was so excited the Raptor showed up for the passes I forgot to reset the camera.

Erich

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3147

Thanks Steve and Rodolfo on the drive storage thoughts. I like Steve's approach, which is what I'm currently able to do with just two external drives plus the internal 1TB laptop drive. And yes, right now the next step would be to move from the 1.5TB drives I'm using now to 3TB. That seems to be the current sweet spot drive size - 4TB drives jump to almost $400 each.

What I'm worried about is at my current pace, I may fill the 3TB drives before the next generation (5TB or 6TB?) are affordable, and then I'll have to consider some kind of an array, I guess. I really should just stop worrying, and deal with it if it happens.

Mark

Chainshot
Total Posts: 227

I just started the Tamiya 1:48 M10 like my uncle drove in Europe. It's been a long time, but I'm enjoying it. There are some nice weathering techniques, etc... on YT.

Jan-Arie wrote:
Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling

Oops...top of page. Just ran across this today on the www

Rodolfo Paiz

msalvetti wrote:
Thanks Steve and Rodolfo on the drive storage thoughts. I like Steve's approach, which is what I'm currently able to do with just two external drives plus the internal 1TB laptop drive. And yes, right now the next step would be to move from the 1.5TB drives I'm using now to 3TB. That seems to be the current sweet spot drive size - 4TB drives jump to almost $400 each.

What I'm worried about is at my current pace, I may fill the 3TB drives before the next generation (5TB or 6TB?) are affordable, and then I'll have to consider some kind of an array, I guess. I really should just stop worrying, and deal with it if it happens.

You're overthinking this.

Steve and I are doing essentially the same thing. My desktop computer (a tower PC) has three 3TB drives inside in a RAID-0 array for a 9TB storage volume. That holds everything I've ever done and not lost (). I have a Drobo S (USB3) attached to that same computer with 4 x 2TB drives, and that's my first line of backup.*

You could do the same by using two 3TB disks (primary and backup) right now. If you fill them, just add two more 3TB disks and you're done. No big deal to have two disks be your primary storage and the other two be your backups. If you want to think about arrays, Drobos, servers, or anything else, great... we'll be happy to help you and it's not hard. But you will not need to do that before you fill up -- at the very least -- your first 6TB of files.

-----

* One should always have at least one backup copy off-site, so ideally you'd get three new 3TB drives if you're going to sell the older 1.5TB units. Since I have two high-capacity servers (one in Guatemala and one in Miami) that store company and client data, I store additional backups of my personal stuff on those.

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

There is a new 1/32nd scale model of the B25 available now. I can't remember the mfr., but I will try to find it soon and post.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19073

Hi Mark,

B&H will sell you 4TB 7200 drives for $249 all day long.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19073

I can tell you that Thunderbolt is a godsend. Normally, through USB 2.0 interface, it takes a week to clone a 20 TB array. I took the newest 5D to HQ, lit up Carbon Copy Cloner and a day and a half later it was complete. When the 5D I ordered a few days ago arrives, HQ will be all Drobo with Thunderbolt interface. To paraphrase Gordon Gekko..........."Speed is good!"

astrobrian

Jan-Arie wrote:
Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling just been searching for some decals in different scales mostly 1/48 and 1/32 scale just came about 3 sets in 1/32 scale.
For a specific B25 i can't believe it but Kitsworld from the Uk just released 2 sets in 1/32 scale of the Pacific Prowler and Devil Dog only drawback is that they are only available in 1/32 scale the third set is for the Gunfighter P51 I think i'm going to shoot them a mail if there are plans for releasing them in 1/48 scale in the near future as i don't have the room for 1/32 scale B25 maybe just one but certainly not for two..
Very cool lets see if i can show some of them...

Devil Dog

Only can show the page's of the Prowler and Gunfighter
Pacific Prowler
P51D Gunfighter

Awesome find J-A, posting that up on the Facebook page for the Dog

1       2       3              3485      
       3487              4873       4874       end