Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3482

1       2       3              3482      
       3484              4286       4287       end

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

Glad i'm not the only one that thinks so JW!

How many hours you up to in the 51 Chris? Just wondering, no reason whatsoever do I hope its close to 25.

Glenn

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2961

Guess I need a pic -

My favorite part of air 2 air shooting - the flight back to base..

Glenn

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

A little fun one of Frankie the flying dragon

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3866

DanNehmer wrote:
Happy New Year from Iowa & the Nehmers! Partly sunny and 17 deg here (Burr), so Belle said lets go chase some birds!!! She even flushed her 1st Pheasant, now daddy just needs to shoot straighter.

Dan

Dan, I'll do the shooting or at least send 2 pheasants please !

Bill Gass

astrobrian

Leaving the target happy

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

And now for something totally different...

Rodeo time !!, You Texas boys should appreciate these....

bergenor
Total Posts: 126

I do!!
Cool pics,3rd one is my favorite

Bill Gass

I still laugh when I see them wearing sunglasses.
3 is a winner as well....HANG ON !!!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16066

That flight back to base is wonderful Glenn. Glad you're getting to experience all of this, I'm proud of you and knocked out by the work you are producing.

JWilsonphoto

Nice work Al!

JWilsonphoto

Dear Bill,

That tree image reminds me of the days of Timothy Leary, probably dating myself with that observation.

JWilsonphoto

A few days ago I was in a serious conversation with JR about what types of aircraft I'd like to own. He asked me if I still wanted a Mustang, or given the choice, would I rather have an impeccably restored Tucano like one of our friends and partners has. Kind of caught me by surprise. Actually my hesitation caught me by surprise. A Mustang is a MUSTANG, of course, but there are a lot of things to be considered in the choice. The most beautify Tucano in the world can be had for 1.4, a cool 1.0 to 1.2 less than a beautiful 51. Insurance costs, parts availability, never ending maintenance, and low overhaul times are items on the other side of the fulcrum.
After chewing on the whole thing for 30 minutes I told him that I'd make that decision when the time came.

astrobrian

Angry wrote:
And now for something totally different...

Rodeo time !!, You Texas boys should appreciate these....

That last one is well timed for sure, captures that "this is about to hurt" feeling well done

Chris Luvara
Total Posts: 140

Glenn Watson wrote:
Glad i'm not the only one that thinks so JW!

How many hours you up to in the 51 Chris? Just wondering, no reason whatsoever do I hope its close to 25.

Glenn

Half way there.. 13 so far.

JWilsonphoto

Congratulations Chris! Quite a logbook milestone!!

Bill Gass

Just tell him, another cub on floats

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3535

JWilsonphoto wrote:
A few days ago I was in a serious conversation with JR about what types of aircraft I'd like to own. He asked me if I still wanted a Mustang, or given the choice, would I rather have an impeccably restored Tucano like one of our friends and partners has. Kind of caught me by surprise. Actually my hesitation caught me by surprise. A Mustang is a MUSTANG, of course, but there are a lot of things to be considered in the choice. The most beautify Tucano in the world can be had for 1.4, a cool 1.0 to 1.2 less than a beautiful 51. Insurance costs, parts availability, never ending maintenance, and low overhaul times are items on the other side of the fulcrum.
After chewing on the whole thing for 30 minutes I told him that I'd make that decision when the time came.

Well you have a point there sure a P51 would be awesome to have and own.
If I could fly and I had the resources to acquire a P51 I would do it in a heartbeat but that would mean that had plenty of spare cash to maintain and operate it.

I think owning and operating a restored Tucano would also be very nice even performance wise witch probably costs considerably less .
The Merlin should be treated like a little baby to get the most out of it before overhaul.

But you know us we will like it whatever it's going to be but it has to be a dual seater if you know what i mean......

nrferguson
Total Posts: 1662

waterflyboy22 wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year to all my MA2A family. Jack has his 10 month birthday today, so I thought I'd post a photo in honor of the occasion.

Be a light unto the world...

[
And an airplane picture just 'cause I should. (too bad the Brits retired them!)

Amen to that This is the last ever UK Harrier flypast at Farnborough on 9th December 2010. We were expecting them to do a curtsey or similar, as they had apparently two weeks earlier, but they came from behind us and flew through so fast that if you blinked tou missed it!
Niall

JWilsonphoto

I'm with Ya Jan Arie! The only single seat aircraft I would have an interest in would be a Pitts and only a mild interest at that. The Tucano would be a kick and could be used for business transportation as well. The added bonus would be tens of thousands of dollars annually that you wouldn't have to spend. Cool as it is, it isn't a Mustang, and that's what one would have to come to grips with. Joe Dobransky was all over me for the 8 months it took for Legend to build my Cub. He said I'd never be happy with a new Cub, the "nostalgia" wouldn't be there, blah, blah, blah. I owned a 1939 J3 and much as I loved flying it for a thousand hours, it was a "nostalgic" PIA. My Legend is a joy to own and fly and I've never, no not ever, given the nostalgia factor a second thought. What comes with nostalgia is chasing parts, lots of maintenance, always wondering what's going on in those old tubes and components.

On the other hand, if I got a 51, I'd have Nelson Ezell do the pre-buy and take care of it for me, so that would eliminate a number of headaches. Still, I don't think I'd be too bummed about flying a Tucano around behind the smooth whine of a turbine. I think I could make the adjustment either way.

1       2       3              3482      
       3484              4286       4287       end