Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3475

1       2       3              3475      
       3477              4533       4534       end

Razor17
Total Posts: 465

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Seems I'm having an unusually high failure rate on my CF cards in the last six months. Since I've been using CF media I've had very few failures, maybe two. I've had four Lexar 1000X/600X Pro cards go toes up in the past 60 days. I find this very unusual and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing, like dropping a couple of cards in my pocket to rattle around with my iPhone, or something weird. Lexar replaces them asap, but that really isn't my main concern, I am getting a little nervous about trusting them. I had some Sandisk go south so I switched to Lexar, and this failure rate is higher than my Sandisks. Any thoughts from the brain trust?

I have heard that in the past that the Lexar's go Tango Uniform and have used Sandisks for years. I just brought some 32 gig/45mb/s cards for my T-6 flying and have had no problems with them just my 3 point landings.. ;0-)

Lynn

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4097

MMcGrath wrote:
A couple of links to some photos taken by a friend of mine last week.

In Flight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_clements/9537746134/in/photostream/

Short final

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_clements/9526592560/in/photostream/

Cool stuff from Matthew

ELinder
Total Posts: 1071

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Seems I'm having an unusually high failure rate on my CF cards in the last six months. Since I've been using CF media I've had very few failures, maybe two. I've had four Lexar 1000X/600X Pro cards go toes up in the past 60 days. I find this very unusual and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing, like dropping a couple of cards in my pocket to rattle around with my iPhone, or something weird. Lexar replaces them asap, but that really isn't my main concern, I am getting a little nervous about trusting them. I had some Sandisk go south so I switched to Lexar, and this failure rate is higher than my Sandisks. Any thoughts from the brain trust?

Jim, a few weeks ago I had 2 magnetic hotel key cards get erased while I was carrying them. The only thing I could think was that I had them in the same pocket as my iPhone all day. May be coincidence, but who knows.

Erich

Edit for TOPP: At the airport about to fly out to, so no plane pics. But here's where I'm off to for the next 2 weeks.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

JamesG wrote:
Another from Normandy, the excellent museum at Utah Beach:

(appreciate HDR isn't everyone's cup of tea! )

James
@James - I think your gentle application of HDR processing made this a wonderful image. Terrific work sir

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
That's too bad Brian.

If I am able to go it would only be as crew with the Dog, not as part of the photo missions. TBD

astrobrian

JamesG wrote:
Another from Normandy, the excellent museum at Utah Beach:

(appreciate HDR isn't everyone's cup of tea! )

James

Gorgeous use of it though James, love the way that ended up

astrobrian

JWilsonphoto wrote:

I have heard before having your credit cards near cell phones is risky as they may in some cases demagnetize the strip on the card. This, or something like it is the only thing I can come up with as a possible cause. I tend to keep them in a holder that usually is in either another bag or a pocket other than my phone and haven't had any issues.

astrobrian

A few reworks of a few of my favorites over the last 4 years.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19275

Thanks guys! I just had a long chat, literally, with a very helpful tech person at Lexar. Side note, Sandisk will honor their lifetime warranty, but they make it a difficult process. Lexar is on top of it, log on, open chat, give them the info, and the RMA shows up. The Lexar tech mentioned that they suggest that cards be formatted in a computer using disk utility, not in the camera. Not very practical I must say, but I'm going to do it from now on. I have a couple of dozen 32GB Cf's so it's not a problem for me, impractical for many though.

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

yikes .. I have even less concerns since I'm a hobbyist I guess, but I've been using 32 gig Transcend 400x cards now for a bit with no problems .. so .. how many ** card ** makers are there really ....... I mean there are tons of batteries auto batteries being sold, but only a couple of actual manufacturers .. same with anti freeze ...... how many card manufacturers are there really ........ and in speaking of that ..... try and find a CF card in Best Buy ... weird .. they sell canon and Nikon cameras, but finding a CF card ......... hmmmmm

cbrandt

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks guys! I just had a long chat, literally, with a very helpful tech person at Lexar. Side note, Sandisk will honor their lifetime warranty, but they make it a difficult process. Lexar is on top of it, log on, open chat, give them the info, and the RMA shows up. The Lexar tech mentioned that they suggest that cards be formatted in a computer using disk utility, not in the camera. Not very practical I must say, but I'm going to do it from now on. I have a couple of dozen 32GB Cf's so it's not a problem for me, impractical for many though.

That sort of flys in the face of what photographers have been told for the few years I've been shooting ..... I believe I've always heard that you format your card in camera ......

JWilsonphoto

From what I understand Transcend was a pioneer. Their marketing is nowhere near Lexar and Sandisks. I'm a poor test case because of the tens of thousands of images that I capture each year . But this all makes me really nervous. What Lexar just told me shoots my previous strategy of leaving the cards in the camera body all to heck

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

That makes no sense. As mentioned above it has been recommend for a long time to format in camera. I'm going on 9 years now with Sandisk and have never lost a single image.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9906

I've used a mix of Transcend, Lexar, Kingston, and Sandisk and still never lost an image. All I can say is that the Kingston were usually cheaper and slower... the other three Just Work.

Jim, all I can suggest is that mobile phones do tend to harm magnetic things near them -- they are transmitting constantly after all -- so I'm careful not to leave my cards near any phone. My own phone stays on my waist in its holder. I wouldn't think where you format the card would be an issue; then again, I take the card out the camera to download images in a card reader, so formatting after the download is no sweat either. (I really don't think this is the problem, but no harm in trying.)

cbrandt

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I've used a mix of Transcend, Lexar, Kingston, and Sandisk and still never lost an image. All I can say is that the Kingston were usually cheaper and slower... the other three Just Work.

Jim, all I can suggest is that mobile phones do tend to harm magnetic things near them -- they are transmitting constantly after all -- so I'm careful not to leave my cards near any phone. My own phone stays on my waist in its holder. I wouldn't think where you format the card would be an issue; then again, I take the card out the camera to download images in a card reader, so formatting after the download is no sweat either. (I really don't think this is the problem, but no harm in trying.)

** Transmitting all the time ** ............ just a side bar I found interesting when I was working .... hospital network was / probably still is slooooooooow ... they were being killed on bandwith wireless .....they configured their system for in-house usage, but every Ipad - cell phone, laptop they put out to staff for * business * soon increased and then what staff and visitors also carried into the hospital .. hit the hospital WiFi when we walked thru the doors to work . visit ........ and they were having a hard time keeping up with bandwith and to expand it is very ..... costly.

lol .. I can remember being called in for an emergency and seeing folks sitting on the street corner with their laptops ... using the hospital WiFi ....... you can only tamp it down so much before you loose access so there is some outside leakage that folks knew and used ... but the hospitals do have lockdowns on a lot of websites ........ I couldn't even get to medical websites at times because I was looking for ** adult ** ventilator or ** adult ** this or that ........ lol

astrobrian

I have never heard of cards needing to be formatted outside of the camera. If anything that in itself can make things go wonky because if the way the computer formats the card, and the way the camera formats it don't agree, then you have problems.

david russell
Total Posts: 754

Strange but true Canon story of the day:

The AF/M switch fell off of my 20-35 L lens a while ago. When I called Canon service, they weren't able to verify that such a lens model existed until my second escalation. They then said that they no longer serviced that model and it couldn't be repaired.

Fast forward a few weeks: My local camera shop (Mike's) was able to get it back together and working fine in less than a week. I picked it up yesterday and all is well with it.

Hooray for Mike's!

misster
Total Posts: 526

A few more from Saturday.

JWilsonphoto

astrobrian wrote:
I have never heard of cards needing to be formatted outside of the camera. If anything that in itself can make things go wonky because if the way the computer formats the card, and the way the camera formats it don't agree, then you have problems.

That's what I always thought Brian. I've never formatted a card of any type on the computer, don't think I'll start now. I do toss my cards in a pocket now and then, could be the phone deal. Guess I'll avoid that. I didn't lose any images in all of this, so it's just an annoyance.

JWilsonphoto

On a happier note, a good friend in our hangar complex is demoing a Citation Mustang this week. He wants to go to PC12 school with me so he can fly right seat with me on occasion, then he wants me to go to Mustang school with him so I can build time in the Citation. Sounds like fun all around! Looks like insurance will ask me to fly around 50 hours with a mentor pilot/instructor once I complete PC 12 school. Actually, I think that's a little low for my comfort level. I'm thinking 80 to 100 should have me comfortable in the Pilatus.

1       2       3              3475      
       3477              4533       4534       end