Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3451

1       2       3              3451      
       3453              4532       4533       end

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Beautiful image of your father and Annalise, Dan.

Angry
Total Posts: 1216

Was this what you were talking bout Jim

cunim
Total Posts: 1

DanNehmer wrote:

On a more mundane level: did you know there's a speed brake between the elevators of the Lockheed Lodestar? I sure didn't...

That's not a speed brake. The flap lifts as the elevators rise beyond horizontal, giving you added authority in the flare.

BillyBlaylock
Total Posts: 85

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Last night around 11:30 Chandler came to me and asked if we could get up early and watch the sun rise from the Cub. A little calculation put wake up time at about 5 to make sure we were in place at sunrise. The only appropriate response to a request like that is...."Sure!"

Lo and behold, the deep tones of my Buddy Bryan Martin greeted us as we taxied out, he was just opening the tower. We had 20 minutes to actual sunrise. After a slow motion rendition of the Top Gun tower buzz, we headed north to watch the day begin...............

That is fantastic Jim.

edit for TOPP - They could fly (briefly) if needed

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
I spent a pleasant day and a half on a leisurely drive across eastern Colorado and Kansas. The warbirds are gathering and it looks like a hot weekend of flyin' and photographin' here in Topeka.

Had a cool thing happen: guy walks up to me on the ramp; never seen him before in my life. He says, "Are you Steve?" and so begins a conversation with a fellow ISAPer who recognized me from the profile photo on my ISAP portfolio page. How cool is that? Of course, I asked him if he'd found MA2A yet: he has. His name is Steve Jantz.

A couple from my midday charging stop in beautiful downtown Paxico, KS; a couple more from the ramp at Forbes Field.

@Zim - I'm lovin' your first volley of Kansas images. Looking forward to more as the weekend progresses. Have fun 'O Silent Traveler

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2264

Cunim, welcome to MA2A. Sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride because it's gonna be a long one.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4084

cunim wrote:
DanNehmer wrote:

On a more mundane level: did you know there's a speed brake between the elevators of the Lockheed Lodestar? I sure didn't...

That's not a speed brake. The flap lifts as the elevators rise beyond horizontal, giving you added authority in the flare.

Now I see it! Thanks for setting me straight.

nrferguson
Total Posts: 2452

I'm thinking of getting Lenscoat covers for my 500mm and 300mm L glass but reviews are a bit iffy. Does anyone have personal experience? I assume they come in sections for each bit, but the the focussing ring naked - what happens over the buttons?
Niall

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19267

Thanks Jan Arie,

I'll get it ironed out. We've got 100/102 here with no rain in the 10 day forecast. Won't get any sympathy from our Arizona brothers, but it's pretty miserable. I've got a helo meeting me at HQ for a shoot around 6:45 this evening, think I'll title the shoot "Shake and Bake".

JWilsonphoto

Here's a GoPro durability reference................

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/510805-gopro-slips-out-case-while-skydiving-drops-12-500ft-survives.html

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 988

…. and it today's Americana trivia question. Re Steve picture with the Mobilgas sign – what is / was / are “SOCONY-VACUUM” ?

EDIT - yikes the triple z turned into a widget all by itself.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

nickjohnson wrote:
…. and it today's Americana trivia question. Re Steve picture with the Mobilgas sign – what is / was / are “SOCONY-VACUUM” ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_Oil_Company

david russell
Total Posts: 754

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Jan Arie,

I'll get it ironed out. We've got 100/102 here with no rain in the 10 day forecast. Won't get any sympathy from our Arizona brothers, but it's pretty miserable. I've got a helo meeting me at HQ for a shoot around 6:45 this evening, think I'll title the shoot "Shake and Bake".

Having spent the last few days within 15 miles of Jim's place, I can assure all of the AZ brothers that if they are seeing worse temps, I don't want to be there either! I am ready to head home to a place with much less humidity and where it cools off at night. #wayTooSweaty....

nickjohnson

Ah Jim, I kinda knew that the Legend folks did a lot of work on “their” Cub, but I had no idea that they had gone so far as to change the wing section, Now that must have been serious commitment – of all sorts. I was idly musing if you might arrange for Chandler to do his first landing in a Cub on floats? What with you being VP of fun and all – that might be a neat thing for a young gent from Texas.

nickjohnson

Jan-Arie wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_Oil_Company

Thanks J-A.

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

An enjoyable characteristic here in Central Texas is with 100° temperatures, I can sit in the shade on the front porch drinking ice tea and enjoy the heat without sweating when we have a 15 mph wind and <40% humidity. I could not do that in Houston/Galveston where they have 100° and 90% humidity. I would be dripping with sweat after 3 or more minutes! I remember taking an afternoon dip in the pool at lunch time, then sitting in the sun to dry off, only to get wetter from the sweat. You had to get out of the pool, dry off, then head for the AC to stay cool!

JWilsonphoto

Jan Arie, you are back to the status you deserve! With Fred's sincerest apologies, a technical hiccup that he has swiftly remedied. Welcome home!

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4096

Upload is back online Thanks Jim

JWilsonphoto

Hi Nick,

Yes, and the wing is "strong like bull!" I documented the sand bag stress tests during certification. I'm sworn to secrecy on the actual limits, because they were so much higher than certification required for the LSA category, but I can tell you that a guy would have to go some to break it.

The airfoil rides the air so much better than Piper's. My '39 on a hot day was like trying to steer a cork in the ocean, my Legend is so much better.

Chandler and I were discussing an amphib as we traced Glenn's and my low level lake route the other morning. He was pumped about the possibility of being able to land on that lake sometime soon. The way he handled 7PC for over an hour yesterday leads me to believe he'll be a quick study. Hunter, his older brother got his first actual lesson with me a few months ago. I had him doing steep 720's within flight test parameters in an hour. Must be something in the genes.

JWilsonphoto

What fun!.......................

1       2       3              3451      
       3453              4532       4533       end