Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3450

1       2       3              3450      
3451
       3452              4531       4532       end

JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Dear Nick,

A Cub is an amazing little airplane. I have never taken a "high and fast" pilot for a ride that they weren't absolutely in love with flight again upon our return. They aren't for long trips, unless you have lots of time, but for the pure joy of low and slow, there's nothing quite like one. The Legend flies so much better than a vintage Cub it's like night and day. Another plus is you aren't worrying about what might be going on in that 70/80 year old tubing. The airfoil on a Legend is different and it rides the air in a much more stable manner. The boys in Sulphur Springs got that airplane right.

Chandler and I rolled over 332 hours on ours this morning. Lot's of memories packed into that little yellow airplane, with many more to come.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Funny how a mind works. We were up there suspended in God's creation this morning with a view few had the time, or privilege to access. All the different aircraft I've been thinking about lately rambled through my thoughts, and wonderful as any of them will be if and when we have them, there, in that moment, my joy meter was pegged. Wouldn't have been any more enjoyable in a shiny Mustang, in fact, probably would have been less in some ways. Perspective, it's a rare and wondrous thing, to be happy and at peace right where God has placed you at the moment is a feeling that I wish for everyone. Life today has a tendency to make those moments a bit elusive.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Another facet of the Legend that I love, is the fact that both doors fold down and both windows latch up. Vintage Cubs, and the "Top Cub" design from out in the northwest, only open on one side. Lady Jo and Glenn will tell you, it's a view!



Angry
Registered: Nov 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1216
Country: Australia

Jeff W. wrote:
Early morning monochrome - Qantas A380 on final into LAX...



This will be me on the 16th October,...Sydney driect to DallasFW...
Not sure if im coming via 380 or 747-400, return trip from LAX to Sydney is via 380.

Flights booked
Accomodation in FW booked,
Accommodation in CHarlotte booked
Acommodation in LA Booked
Accomodation in Vegas booked

Visy approved.

Mustang hired LA to Vegas...
Tauras hired Charlotte...

Do I need to hire something large in DallasFW like a Jeep grand Cherokee ??..for extra bodies from HQ to FW

TOPP.
morning light Ryan..


Afternoon Mustang....



Al





Angry
Registered: Nov 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1216
Country: Australia

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Funny how a mind works. We were up there suspended in God's creation this morning with a view few had the time, or privilege to access. All the different aircraft I've been thinking about lately rambled through my thoughts, and wonderful as any of them will be if and when we have them, there, in that moment, my joy meter was pegged. Wouldn't have been any more enjoyable in a shiny Mustang, in fact, probably would have been less in some ways. Perspective, it's a rare and wondrous thing, to be happy and at peace right where God has placed you at the moment is a feeling that I wish for everyone. Life today has a tendency to make those moments a bit elusive.



And it dont get any better than that .



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

You know Al, it never hurst to have a few extra seats. I don't know what I'd do most days without my "Landcrusher".



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Nice images Al! A little trivia. Those Ryan's have a stall characteristic that, as my dear friend "Gunny" puts it, "will water your eyes". There's no buffet, no warning at all. If you let your speed drop below the magic number, boom, you are looking straight down. Bad news in the pattern, where that happens most often. The drop is wings level straight, unlike the Six, which is a half snap to inverted. The low level outcome is pretty much the same, it's just the angle of the ride to the smoking hole that varies.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19261
Country: United States

Of all the images we've shared over the years, I don't believe I've shown you this one. Just sold it for a stock use so I had the lab to a 300MB drum scan of the transparency.

Beautiful Gig Harbor Washington......................

I guess I'm living proof that you can still sell stock for a reasonable price, direct to the client.



Razor17
Registered: Oct 08, 2012
Total Posts: 465
Country: United States

Yes it is...



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9305
Country: United States

Al, I had a Ford Crown Victoria while I was down there, and never filled any of the extra seats. V8, rear wheel drive... and OOMPH when you need it..

Angry wrote:
Jeff W. wrote:
Early morning monochrome - Qantas A380 on final into LAX...



This will be me on the 16th October,...Sydney driect to DallasFW...
Not sure if im coming via 380 or 747-400, return trip from LAX to Sydney is via 380.

Flights booked
Accomodation in FW booked,
Accommodation in CHarlotte booked
Acommodation in LA Booked
Accomodation in Vegas booked

Visy approved.

Mustang hired LA to Vegas...
Tauras hired Charlotte...

Do I need to hire something large in DallasFW like a Jeep grand Cherokee ??..for extra bodies from HQ to FW

TOPP.
morning light Ryan..


Afternoon Mustang....



Al






Leo Hursh
Registered: Jul 18, 2004
Total Posts: 1651
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Perspective, it's a rare and wondrous thing, to be happy and at peace right where God has placed you at the moment is a feeling that I wish for everyone. Life today has a tendency to make those moments a bit elusive.



That'll preach Shooter!


Well, tomorrow morning around 5am, I hit the road for an 800 mile trip to OH to surprise my wife and 4 children who have been gone for about 3 weeks. She has been up with her dad, helping to sort through her mother's stuff, getting ready for a yard sale. It's been emotional but, ultimately, a positive experience for them.


Oh yeah, did I mention that this is my chariot for the duration? Thanks to a good friend I get to relive a bit of my younger days. Hopefully my posterior holds up!



DanNehmer
Registered: Nov 26, 2009
Total Posts: 313
Country: United States

Leo,

Safe travels and I do hope you have fun. I am sure your wife and children will really appreciate the support. It's a good thing you are doing, and looks like you have a styling ride to do it in.

Jim,

Spoil them often and do as much as you can with them now. The memories you make with them today shape them for tomorrow. Chandlers desire to have a morning flight with you is very special. Our daughter Annalise just loved pontoon boat rides with Grandpa. Even though Grandpa pasted over 4 yrs ago when she was just turning 6 it still is one of her favorite memories and she still talks about the time with him. That's what's important and the picture below says it all.

Peace all,
Dan



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

I spent a pleasant day and a half on a leisurely drive across eastern Colorado and Kansas. The warbirds are gathering and it looks like a hot weekend of flyin' and photographin' here in Topeka.

Had a cool thing happen: guy walks up to me on the ramp; never seen him before in my life. He says, "Are you Steve?" and so begins a conversation with a fellow ISAPer who recognized me from the profile photo on my ISAP portfolio page. How cool is that? Of course, I asked him if he'd found MA2A yet: he has. His name is Steve Jantz.

A couple from my midday charging stop in beautiful downtown Paxico, KS; a couple more from the ramp at Forbes Field.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

Here is the sum total of EV activity in Topeka: my Tesla hooked up to a charging station in the office parking lot of a Volt owner, with a Zero electric motorbike driven by a young engineer who knew I was coming to town with the S and stopped to chat.



Angry
Registered: Nov 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1216
Country: Australia

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice images Al! A little trivia. Those Ryan's have a stall characteristic that, as my dear friend "Gunny" puts it, "will water your eyes". There's no buffet, no warning at all. If you let your speed drop below the magic number, boom, you are looking straight down. Bad news in the pattern, where that happens most often. The drop is wings level straight, unlike the Six, which is a half snap to inverted. The low level outcome is pretty much the same, it's just the angle of the ride to the smoking hole that varies.


I took images of one about 18yrs ago before AI got Warbird bug...It belonged to a local identitiy who had a regional airline...
After the owner pased away his son,(a Qantas captain) is believed to have inherited it. It appears he found out about this phenominum...its still being repaired but he lived to fly another day.

As for the Orange Mustang,....he was trying to drive the wheels off it!!
Al



Angry
Registered: Nov 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1216
Country: Australia

Wow Steve,
Lovin those images....old crumbly paint on those walls...
look at the size of the rear sprocket on that thing !!



JDE1
Registered: Jun 25, 2013
Total Posts: 24
Country: United States

Double ditto.



JDE1
Registered: Jun 25, 2013
Total Posts: 24
Country: United States

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Guys. Definitely a sunrise to remember. . . .

There aren't always enough superlatives to describe the images in this forum. And this Cub & sunrise shot is definitely one of those times. For lack of anything better, I'll just say, stunningly beautiful.

Jerry



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

Angry wrote:
Wow Steve,
Lovin those images....old crumbly paint on those walls...
look at the size of the rear sprocket on that thing !!



Thanks guys!

Al, the rear sprocket size is dictates by the reduction gearing needed for an electric motor that revs to
'leventy thousand rpm. ;D



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

DanNehmer wrote:
Jim,

Spoil them often and do as much as you can with them now. The memories you make with them today shape them for tomorrow. Chandlers desire to have a morning flight with you is very special. Our daughter Annalise just loved pontoon boat rides with Grandpa. Even though Grandpa pasted over 4 yrs ago when she was just turning 6 it still is one of her favorite memories and she still talks about the time with him. That's what's important and the picture below says it all.

Peace all,
Dan


Jim, I love the sunrise Cub flight and the photos. Chandler will treasure the memories and the photos, both.

Dan, "Grandpa's Love" is beautiful and poignant.

On a more mundane level: did you know there's a speed brake between the elevators of the Lockheed Lodestar? I sure didn't...



1       2       3              3450      
3451
       3452              4531       4532       end