Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3446

1       2       3              3446      
       3448              4309       4310       end

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7708

Al, on the Nikons, they usually take the regular 52mm (on the newer versions) Not so sure about Canon lenses

Edit to add TOPP

Angry wrote:
gerov wrote:
I've got the CP drop in as well as an ND4 drop in, which I've used at air shows with some success. Only caveat there is that every time you swap out drop in filters, you're inviting dirt to come drifting into the lens/camera. If you don't notice soon enough, you can end up with a couple hundred images with an unwanted spot or hair in them. DAMIK

Gero

Grov,

Where do you get the drop in ND4 filters

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1523

I found the Hoya filters to be good for the drop in because they're relatively low profile.

Not sure if I posted this one from Abbotsford or not.

Val-Halla by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Here is one of the STS-129 crew practice shots I was eluding to earlier.

astrobrian

A couple from the archives....

R.Reijne
Total Posts: 532

Bought a (second hand) Canon 24-105 L IS lens last weekend.

Here are some results, made in my home studio of my dog Cloony.
He was willing to pose (for some cookie's!)

Love the lens, what a beast!

Roel.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1871

Interesting how the later the shot the ambient airport lights "warm" the image. I call this one: Santa buzzes the tower. I'm guessing their communications sounded something like this…

Santa: "Tower this is Sleigh Rider requesting a flyby".
Tower: "Negative Sleigh Rider, the pattern is full".
Rudolph: "No, Santa, this is not a good idea".
Santa: "Sorry, Rudolph, but it's time to buzz the tower".

astrobrian

Nice shots Roel, and yes that 24-105 is a great one, got mine second hand as well, no issues at all.

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

Jeff W. wrote:
Interesting how the later the shot the ambient airport lights "warm" the image. I call this one: Santa buzzes the tower. I'm guessing their communications sounded something like this…

Santa: "Tower this is Sleigh Rider requesting a flyby".
Tower: "Negative Sleigh Rider, the pattern is full".
Rudolph: "No, Santa, this is not a good idea".
Santa: "Sorry, Rudolph, but it's time to buzz the tower".

Priceless...

Al

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Angry wrote:
gerov wrote:
I've got the CP drop in as well as an ND4 drop in, which I've used at air shows with some success. Only caveat there is that every time you swap out drop in filters, you're inviting dirt to come drifting into the lens/camera. If you don't notice soon enough, you can end up with a couple hundred images with an unwanted spot or hair in them. DAMIK

Gero

Grov,

Where do you get the drop in ND4 filters

Al,

Have a look here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763737-REG/Canon_4773B001_52mm_Drop_in_Gelatin_Filter.html

Gero

Kingfishphoto
Total Posts: 6826

Jeff W. .
I left the Phoenixaera in 1999 . Just prior to that i was denided roof top acess to the Sky Harbor Airport. Has that changed ?
Thanks
Harry Palmer

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

Does anyone know what actual purpose the Drop in Gelatin filters is ??

rkelley
Total Posts: 518

Well it's a cold, wet evening here on Canada's we(s)t coast, time to browse through the old folders to find something to work on ....

From April 2010, the Conair Firecat is a highly modified Grumman Tracker. These aircraft served well as air tankers for a good many years after their military service, the last of the fleet was retired this past summer.

gerov

Al,
I believe the drop in Gelatin filter is there as a placeholder for the other drop-in filters you can use with these lenses. I'm not sure if it adds anything to the image quality produced by the lenses, but without something in that slot, you'd have a lot more dust on your sensor...

Gero

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2621

September Fate.

gerov

Tim,
that is fabulous!!

Gero

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1871

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Jeff W. .
I left the Phoenixaera in 1999 . Just prior to that i was denided roof top acess to the Sky Harbor Airport. Has that changed ?
Thanks
Harry Palmer

Harry - Not sure what roof top access you were after, but we were shooting from the top of the Terminal 4 parking garage. I'm not aware of anyone being questioned or hassled for shooting from this location. While I was not there myself, several of my AZ comrades photographed Air Force 1 from the top of the same location. They enjoyed chatting with law enforcement while waiting for POTUS to depart - again, no problem.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3370

If I've been scarce lately it's because of the Christmas singing season. We just finished up the season at my house (Marcia's a singer, too) with three performances to great audiences of Sound of the Rockies' Christmas show, "Winter Wonderland", at Denver University's Gates Concert Hall. I deployed my D800+70-200 f/2.8 at the back of the hall and used a radio remote (thanks for the tip, Laura!) to trigger the camera while singing on the risers: it worked great. I also put an assistant in the house with my 1DX and the 24-105 f/4L.

These two shots were actually taken by a second assistant operating the D800 manually. The latter is a moderate crop: ya gotta love 36 megapixels when it comes time to crop a frame. BTW, the song in the second shot was "Santa Baby" and the ladies are a wonderful barbershop quartet called Ruby Blue.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1608

Steve, Looks like a lot of fun for the audience and the performers!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7708

Glad I could help Steve Price was definitely a good one too.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3370

Not one to let the grass grow under my feet, the day after our last performance we flew to Hilton Head for a little R&R. Today was a beautiful late fall day and we spent the last of the sunlight at Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge. Not too many birds to be seen (no wonder: we came across some yahoos walking their yellow Lab ahead of us on the trail, ignoring the signs prohibiting pets in the refuge), but a beautiful setting nonetheless.

1       2       3              3446      
       3448              4309       4310       end