Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3440

1       2       3              3440      
       3442              4529       4530       end

gerov
Total Posts: 9029

Glenn,
I couldn't agree more. I'd be curious to hear from you and Jim about fill flash - Paul seems to have used it in a number of shots and I'd like to know to what extent it blinds the pilots of the target aircraft, or if they barely even notice.

Thanks,
Gero

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3829

Ive popped my speedlights before and the pilots hardly noticed..but havent regularly used it. I dont run the strobes in the photo plane to keep from blinding the pilots, but as long as the pilots are expecting it....its a speedlite though, not Claes Axstål's rig!

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19252

What Glenn said. Aside from Paul's incredible pioneering talent, Paul does not know he's Paul Bowen, which is a very impressive and endearing quality. Paul's been a great friend for years, he's simply the best.

gerov
Total Posts: 9029

Thanks Glenn and Jim.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

gerov wrote:
Glenn,
I couldn't agree more. I'd be curious to hear from you and Jim about fill flash - Paul seems to have used it in a number of shots and I'd like to know to what extent it blinds the pilots of the target aircraft, or if they barely even notice.

Thanks,
Gero

Paul talked about this subject (i.e. A2A flash fill) at the 2011 ISAP Symposium in San Diego. To make a long story short, Paul said that the preflight coordination meeting and inflight communications prepared the pilot and it wasn't an issue. Paul said we'd be surprised how close a good pilot could get to the back of a B-25. I'm sure Jim knows all about that

Jim is 100% right about Paul not knowing that he is "Paul Bowen". One evening we were shooting at Bill Allen's hangar at Gillespie Field. I was laying in the grass trying to get a quality shot of Bill's BU-133 Jungmeister and struggling with my flash/camera settings. Next thing I know, Paul was laying right next to me and he spent the next 30-minutes giving me a 1-on-1 workshop. He treated me like we had been friends for years. Exactly the way I'd expect to be treated if I could ever find a way to attend Jim's Alliance gathering. Two very good (and humble) men

msalvetti
Total Posts: 3166

Tim Adams wrote:
For race fans and Senna fans, an absolutely brilliant Honda commercial,

If you have not seen the movie "Senna", do yourself a favor and see it. It is incredibly moving.

Tim, thanks so much for posting this. It gets better every time I watch it. There also appears to be a 6-minute video on the making of this clip, but unfortunately it seems to be entirely in Japanese.

Mark

JWilsonphoto

Thank you Jeff, very humbling.

Yes, a good stick can get very close to you in a B25..................

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4092

Who turned of the light

Larry Grace
Total Posts: 130

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Larry Grace wrote:
Members of MA2A are welcome to join us at OSH / EAA Air Venture.

You're always a class act, Larry.

I'm sorry that I will miss the chance to spend time with you on this particular occasion.

Thanks Rodolfo

About Paul Bowen... one year at EAA/OSH (2009) a couple of MA2A and ISAP members were planing to shoot together one afternoon at Air Venture. One of the group stated that he would like to meet Paul Bowen one day. So I got the group together took them other to were Paul was greeting people at the Flying tent. After Paul finish he came over at talked with the group. At the end of the meeting he told each of them ( If I remember it was five people) to go over and pick out a copy of his A2A book. He signed the books for each person and it was his gift to each of them.

Larry Grace
Total Posts: 130

To learn more and to see some of Paul's photography ( Sorry forgot to post this for the MA2A members)

The work of ISAP member, former board member, and 2008 George Hall Photography Award of Excellence recipient Paul Bowen is featured in the current issue of f11 Magazine. The free online magazine is based in Auckland, New Zealand, with a growing worldwide readership of professional and enthusiast photographers, designers, and other creative people.

Paul’s work is featured on the cover, as well as in a 38-page feature article, “Paul Bowen Air To Air," which showcases 23 stunning images. The interview is informative, as well; he mentions some risks of air-to-air photography that have not come up in his ISAP presentations over the years.

You can read the current issue (Issue 23/July 2013) of f11 Magazine online here. http://www.f11magazine.com/site/current.html

JWilsonphoto

Have a great week Larry! Eat a Brat for us!!

JWilsonphoto

TB's rained down on me yesterday via UPS. My newest 5D arrived, and OWC finally decided that it had been too long, so they sent me a new unit and drives.

Since I'm standardizing with Drobo 5D units I thought I'd toss this out. This is a brand new 16TB array:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEQX2T16.0V/

If anyone is interested, I'll put a new label on the box and ship it to them. As you can see from the link, they go from $1,149 to $1,299 depending upon what kind of promo they have going. I'd send this one off for a grand plus shipping. Let me know. I'll just load it up as a back up and store it off site in nobody has a need.

Jan-Arie

Spitfire

JWilsonphoto

How about this one? Lots of combat history! This would be incredible to own.......
http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/SUPERMARINE-SPITFIRE-MKIX/1943-SUPERMARINE-SPITFIRE-MKIX/1286767.htm

Jan-Arie

JWilsonphoto wrote:
How about this one? Lots of combat history! This would be incredible to own.......
http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/SUPERMARINE-SPITFIRE-MKIX/1943-SUPERMARINE-SPITFIRE-MKIX/1286767.htm

You bet would be to cool to have in the barn Ill have to do with model kits :-)

So would this :-)

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Sure is quiet while everyone travels to OSH.

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

Wrei wrote:

I live 90 minutes down the road from Oshkosh, but no time to go this year

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:

Should we just tell them you're gonna need your own taxiway for the JWAF?

JWilsonphoto

Actually Brian, I could get that done at KTKI with very little fuss

JWilsonphoto

Wrei wrote:

I'm still here working away Wrei. We'll have to hold up our end while the troops are in cheddar land.

1       2       3              3440      
       3442              4529       4530       end