Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3428

1       2       3              3428      
       3430              4240       4241       end

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2573

The benefits of long glass. 1/90 with a short lens means all the Oshkosh junk in the background is also in perfect focus. The 500 comes through.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4368

One of the few times I was happy to see a fairly solid cloud cover.

1/90 rarely yields f/5.6

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 2059

Excellent shot of the moon. I have got to get some bigger glass.

Tim Adams

FlyingPhotog wrote:
One of the few times I was happy to see a fairly solid cloud cover.

1/90 rarely yields f/5.6

I know what you mean. Sometimes at midday in Reno I would look at the f/stop and think to myself, f/22, not exactly the sweet spot of any lens.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1472

I shoot with a three stop ND in my long glass most of the time, for jets I'll bump the ISO up to 400, then for the propellers I drop it down to 100 ISO and that usually gets me in the right area shutter speed wise at around F/4 to F/5.6

The snow was falling very softly this afternoon, prompted me to get out the 105 Macro which I haven't shot with in probably over a year. This is the tree in our front yard:

Winter Wonderland by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Tim Adams

Looking at the NXT you would think it would be a easy winner in Sport, it is even running a monster IO-720. Without turbos though, it was not even in the same league as the twin turbo smaller motors. This NXT looked great, but it had zero chance of winning.

I have never been a fan of using filters, and don't with the exception of landscape stuff. I also have a very strict rule of shooting ISO 100, period, unless I can't see the plane it is so dark.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1829

I've been up to my elbows in alligators that past couple of weeks getting ready for a last elk hunt with my oldest son before he leaves for med school. Unfortunately, the hunt got canceled when he came down with a serious case of the flu and had to be hospitalized. With some unexpected time to fill while I'm waiting for my son to repair, I've been rolling through one amazing page of MA2A images after an other.

To fill the void that would have been travel today, I've been working on the images for my upcoming Southwest Aviation Review article on the F-35B. Accordingly, I offer one last teaser photograph before my article comes out next week (keeping fingers crossed). Sometimes I like backlit images

Tim Ashton
Total Posts: 3049

XHawkeye wrote:
Completely off-topic:

Wrei, thought you'd be interested in a charred JD 9770.

The rear axle got hot enough that it snapped.

Uncle #1 was harvesting soybeans when the combine caught fire. Dad was working in a field 10 miles away (as the crow flies) and saw the smoke.

Their combine was in the shop so this was a dealer loaner.

Uncle #1 has burns on his back and arms and broke his leg jumping from the combine. His hospital stay is currently at 58 days. Doing 'fine', it's just a slow process.

The JD and the insurance company have looked at it. The insurance man says he knows where it started, but will not say where.

An hour before the fire uncles #1 & 5 had blown the dust off the combine which should've eliminated the usual dust fire. Dad's theory is that a hydraulic fluid from a broken hose started the fire.

I feel for you and your family. As an ex farmer I know it is tough enough to be picking over a drought damaged crop without having this to contend with.

Hoping all gets well with Uncle no:1 soon. send him down to Australia for a holiday to recover

Tim

gerov
Total Posts: 8660

Jeff W. wrote:
I've been up to my elbows in alligators that past couple of weeks getting ready for a last elk hunt with my oldest son before he leaves for med school. Unfortunately, the hunt got canceled when he came down with a serious case of the flu and had to be hospitalized. With some unexpected time to fill while I'm waiting for my son to repair, I've been rolling through one amazing page of MA2A images after an other.

To fill the void that would have been travel today, I've been working on the images for my upcoming Southwest Aviation Review article on the F-35B. Accordingly, I offer one last teaser photograph before my article comes out next week (keeping fingers crossed). Sometimes I like backlit images

Jeff,
very nice. with the treatment you've given the image, it almost looks like an artist's rendering.

Look forward to seeing and reading your article.

Gero

Tim Adams

Some amazing video from the 1DX.
http://vimeo.com/53914149#

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1829

gerov wrote:
Jeff,
very nice. with the treatment you've given the image, it almost looks like an artist's rendering.

Look forward to seeing and reading your article.

Gero

Thanks Gero. I'm working to whittle my images from the 20 I like to the 5 that will be used. I'm used to the client doing this chore; however, it has fallen into my shaky hands and I'm struggling with the process

FlyingPhotog

Nicely Done Jeff. It definitely has a "rendered" feel to it.

Reconstructing some LR catalogs and overhauled this from 2009 outside Nellis...

FlyingPhotog

F-15C Eagle turning final at Nellis
(also from the 2009 stash)

FlyingPhotog

Feed Me Seymour(Johnson)

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3176

Tim Adams wrote:

Amazing to watch the stillness of the cat's head while it's galloping at full speed.

What is the Phantom? And what does itmhavemto do,with the 1DX?

Tim Adams

stevez wrote:
Tim Adams wrote:

Amazing to watch the stillness of the cat's head while it's galloping at full speed.

What is the Phantom? And what does itmhavemto do,with the 1DX?

Don't know. I found the link on FB, and it said it was shot with the 1DX.

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2805

Tim Adams wrote:

Wow, Phantom or 1DX, still pretty awesome. I love seeing the front claws extend on that clip where the cheetah almost catches that furry thing they are towing along.

Here's a short behind-the-scenes video, you can see where the 1DX's were used. Not clear how they were integrated into the final product, though: http://vimeo.com/53129783

The cheetahs were shot at 1200 frames per second. How about one trillion frames per second, shot at MIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9vd4HWlVA

You can actually see light in motion.

Mark

Tim Adams

A little compare and contrast. In the afternoon, pylon 8 is where you want to be if you want to hear the big boys in full song. This is the fastest part of the course, but the light gets worse and worse, as the afternoon goes on.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1606

Tim, your Reno images are outstanding! Tough lighting conditions or not, you are producing some moving images. I really like the mood in the B/W's. Thanks for sharing.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1472

Well, I finally bit the bullet and booked my flights for MotoGP in April.

I had been concerned because last year The Circuit of the Americas was on the tentative schedule then Dorna pulled the plug on it at the last minute over concerns of the facilities not being ready in time for the proposed date, but I don't see that happening again, so barring any dramatic work life changes happening between now and April I will be flying in to Austin Thursday afternoon and flying out Monday early morning.

1       2       3              3428      
       3430              4240       4241       end