Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3423

1       2       3              3423      
       3425              4321       4322       end

rgiaco777
Total Posts: 284

Figured I better stop lurking and start posting again...

As an airline employee, I often enjoy cheap day-trips around the country. The other weekend, my destination of choice was the In-N-Out Burger at LAX for a bite to eat and some plane spotting:

Ryan

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3398

Beautiful series, Ryan: great winter light.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4524

How many layers to get the full focus rack Zim?

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1207

rgiaco777 wrote:
Figured I better stop lurking and start posting again...

As an airline employee, I often enjoy cheap day-trips around the country. The other weekend, my destination of choice was the In-N-Out Burger at LAX for a bite to eat and some plane spotting:

Ryan

Isn't this THE burger joint !!!!!

very good image

Angry
Total Posts: 1210

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, fun news, your fearful leader is now a credentialed member of Austin's newest motorsports venue. I have a meeting with the powers that be in a week or so. Looking forward to our April gathering. Better start walking 10 miles a day to get in shape.

Go getem Jim !!.. now thats connected !

Im lookin forward to seeing some COTA Action Jim, 2 wheels or four.....Id really like to see some Sportcar LeMans style stuff there over the rises ....

Al

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
How many layers to get the full focus rack Zim?

I made seven exposures at f/11. I didn't rack the focus, though: since the bowl has significant depth and the stand holds it with significant rake, I just focused on seven points on a line from top to bottom. Some of the exposures may be redundant. The auto-generated layer masks were insanely complex, but the end result is very good.

BTW, Jeff, I shot this with the D800 mounted on my new RRS tripod setup, per your recommendation: I love it. Not having a center column while still being able to work at a comfortable standing height (and I've got only two of the three deployable leg segments extended!) makes all the difference in the world.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16141

A formal welcome Ryan! Nice opening volley!

That's very cool Zim! Your lighting treatment is perfectly subtle.

The COTA Media approval is a much needed first step. I think someone alluded to the fact that each racing organization handles it's own credentialing. That might prove to be more challenging, but we'll see. Not the end of the world either way. I'm going to get a feel for the ropes when I go down for my meeting with COTA. Credentials would always be good, but I just want to make sure no one has any problem with big glass.

Today is a Photoshop day as I seemed to have been gifted with some kind of virus that just absolutely knocked me flat yesterday afternoon. I don't know that I've ever been so instantly weak and achey. Came home, got in bed, unheard of for me, and slept from 2 to 7 this morning.

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Jim,
I hope you're feeling better today.

Gero

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Gero. I think I am, I'm awake! I had a couple of aerials to fly today, but that's not going to happen.

stevezzzz

Thanks, Jim. You get better, hear?

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Zim! I'm on the mend.

JWilsonphoto

Anyone ever shot in White Sands? I just got an assignment for soem more oil & gas work out in far West Texas. Thought I might make a side trip to White Sands if it's worth it.

KJindaUK
Total Posts: 613

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Anyone ever shot in White Sands? I just got an assignment for soem more oil & gas work out in far West Texas. Thought I might make a side trip to White Sands if it's worth it.

I have Jim, and I'd say it is definitely worthwhile, especially for someone with your talent. Go just before sunset and watch the pink glow that rises after the sun has dropped below the horizon as the white sand reflects the sky, it's amazing.

Kev

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Kevin!

FlyingPhotog

Jim... Hope you beat that bug into submission!

Here's gallery from White Sands created by a former camera club friend of mine:
http://www.pbase.com/azicit/whitesands08

Barely Logging Daylight

bobl
Total Posts: 2751

Jim,

TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1539

Just got back from a week in Cuba, lots of catching up to do.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Gero. One of my favorite images of all time. I'm trying to decide what paper surface to print it on.

If not to late, my choices on B&W media are:

- Hahnehmuhle Fine Art Pearl - Incredible color depth and texture.
- Ilford Gold Fiber Silk - Also great color depth, but it's smooth finish would probably suit this image better
- Moab Slick Rock Metallic to change it up a bit
- and finally, print it on a sheet of aluminum ;-)

and a stereotypical cuban shot. Old Cuban smoking a cuban, worked over for a gritty feel:

Cuban With a Cuban by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

FlyingPhotog

Bonjour Scottsdale!

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Jay! That White Sands Gallery is enough to get me to make the trip. Beautiful!! I need to see how far it is from where I'm shooting.

JWilsonphoto

Here's something that I found interesting and irrefutable........... What ticks me off though, is when I see an Illinois, Michigan, PA, Ohio, CA license plate in Texas looking for work. If you vote this stuff in in your state, Ya ought to have to live under it.

1       2       3              3423      
       3425              4321       4322       end