Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3417

1       2       3              3417      
       3419              4274       4275       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope Y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are enjoying a long relaxing weekend.

I can't add much on the 400 question Al. CPS loaned me one a couple of times and I thought it was a great lens, but a beast. I was shooting my 600 at the time and, though I loved it, it too was just a tank. The 300 is a joy if you can give up 100mm or live with the 1.4 factor.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks to Curtis and Glenn for bringing Mark's motorsports photography to our attention. What an outstanding talent he is!

Too bad he lost his taste for sharing his work on FM. I find myself wondering what the motivation is for ruining a guy's posts, or a thread? We've had a few here, haven't we, but they don't last long. Why would you spend valuable time trying to wreck something that other people are enjoying? Gotta be envy, frustration borne from the fact that that person can't begin to produce imagery like the work they are attacking? I don't get it.

Looking through Mark's portfolio, he has a remarkably diverse range of subject matter. Like so many of you here, no matter what the subject is, he brings his A game and captures it beautifully. We've said it numerous times, but looking at Mark's work, it makes you wish air shows took place in better light. We're often tasked with making lemonade Ya know. Same with Darren Heath's work. We don't often get that range of great light. I don't at all mean to take away from their incredible talent, my guess is they could shoot soup cans at high noon and create art.

Glenn and Lady Jo, might be back in AUS this next week for a day or so, are you around? I have a couple of things to shoot in the Texas State Cemetery for the book project I'm doing. Last week the project took an interesting turn when my client expanded the scope, as it stands right now it's a 3 to 5 year project with some fun destinations and photographic challenges. This client is fond of special projects, I'm honored that he asked me to take this one on, and it's great because it's doubled since he initially approached me with it. Kind of nice knowing that I have this on the books in addition to regular assignments.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2371

Count me in Jim! Any time is good for me; I can be in town given 40-60 minutes' notice.

JWilsonphoto

Sounds great Jo! I'll keep you posted. Might be Wed/Thur as it stands, WX permitting.

JWilsonphoto

The Lexar 32GB/1000x card corruption I experienced in October kind of spooked me. I've had cards go south, fortunately not in catastrophic situations, but that one could have been well into catastrophic territory. I know this wouldn't preclude a failure, but I'm thinking about a different strategy. Don't you think the majority of card failures are caused by a speck of something getting in one of the many pin slots, or something not seating just so during one of the zillions of trips in and out of the camera/card reader. A 32 GB card offers well over 1,0000 images on my X bodies, and about 800 on the D800. Most assignments don't come close to filling two 32GB CF cards, or a CF and an SDHC in the case of the D800. What if, to limit wear, the cards always stayed in the slots and were downloaded from the camera via whatever cable you use for such a procedure.

Given the very minute failure rate I've experienced when compared to the volume of images captured over the years, this is probably overkill. Seems like it would certainly reduce wear on the cards.

JWilsonphoto

I'm feeling a bit queasy, Canon Rumors has a piece on the possible release of a new 800 utilizing the weight saving technology incorporated into the new series II 300/500/600. I'd anticipate that lens coming in at just under 20 grand, a thoroughly nauseating number. I have not even come to grips with updating my 300/500 series I's yet.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2945

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Too bad he lost his taste for sharing his work on FM. I find myself wondering what the motivation is for ruining a guy's posts, or a thread? We've had a few here, haven't we, but they don't last long. Why would you spend valuable time trying to wreck something that other people are enjoying? Gotta be envy, frustration borne from the fact that that person can't begin to produce imagery like the work they are attacking? I don't get it.

You dont have to venture too far outside of MA2A to see how common that sort of behavior is. Its almost like there is a few classrooms full of middle school boys who are tasked with ruining as many threads as possible during the school day. (sorta like the comments section at the bottom of youtube videos). I guess its the annoynimity (sp?) of hiding behind the keyboard that promotes "little" people to talk big. i hate it.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Glenn and Lady Jo, might be back in AUS this next week for a day or so, are you around?

I'm in NYC returning thursday at noon with a small chance of coming back wednesday. If any of your plans end up fitting that count me in.

Glenn

Wrei
Total Posts: 2206

I have heard new experts saying tryptophan doesn't cause sleepiness. Whatever, next time I will do the family photo before dinner.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2371

Wrei, your family photos are always great

JWilsonphoto

Will do Glenn. Enjoy your trip!

That's hilarious Wrei!

bobl
Total Posts: 2748

Wrei,

Whatever, next time I will do the family photo before dinner.

WHY?? This is a GREAT SHOT!!! However, there is a very small nit... the light switch kinda bugs me.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1608

Jim, the 1Dx only has a USB 2.0 port, so the transfer "may" tie up the camera body for a bit while you move the images to the computer. The D800 does have a USB 3.0 port, so transfer times would be better. I think your best bet "may" be to use dual cards for redundancy, if you don't already.

None of my bodies have dual slots, so I don't have any personal experience with what I'm suggesting, so take it for what it's worth.

Leo Hursh

bobl wrote:
Wrei,

Whatever, next time I will do the family photo before dinner.

WHY?? This is a GREAT SHOT!!! However, there is a very small nit... the light switch kinda bugs me.

Hey Wrei, I fixed it for you! Is this more to your liking Bob?

bobl

Great job, Leo!!! A CUCKOO clock... what a hoot!!!!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2206

Leo...

bobl

YUP!! I'm VERY thankful for the MA2A 'family'!!

Leo Hursh

bobl wrote:
YUP!! I'm VERY thankful for the MA2A 'family'!!

Me too Bob!

JWilsonphoto

And the MA2A family is thankful for you Guys.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2135

Mark Rebilas work is great. I believe he's based down in Jay & Jeff's neck of the woods.

He's ex USN & has some great stuff from his time on the Stennis on his website. There was also a blog he did about sticking a D700 on the tail of a Cherokee and shooting timelapse - now you would just use a Go-pro.

JWilsonphoto

Glenn Watson wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:

You dont have to venture too far outside of MA2A to see how common that sort of behavior is. Its almost like there is a few classrooms full of middle school boys who are tasked with ruining as many threads as possible during the school day. (sorta like the comments section at the bottom of youtube videos). I guess its the annoynimity (sp?) of hiding behind the keyboard that promotes "little" people to talk big. i hate it.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Glenn and Lady Jo, might be back in AUS this next week for a day or so, are you around?

I'm in NYC returning thursday at noon with a small chance of coming back wednesday. If any of your plans end up fitting that count me in.

Glenn

A sad, but accurate depiction of what lurks out there in our midst. That YouTube reference is so right, have you ever googled something simple for one of your kids, like "Dora", or Barney? I'm glad they can't read! Just disgusting. The really sad part is that those comments are being seen by our children and grandchildren who are older and can read. What must they think? It's one thing for us to deal with it as adults (bad enough though), but it's a whole different deal to have our precious little ones exposed to that garbage.

1       2       3              3417      
       3419              4274       4275       end