Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3412

1       2       3              3412      
       3414              4273       4274       end

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2135

mikegeng wrote:

The best F1 photog, and perhaps just best racing photog, who truly makes art, is Darren Heath. He spends days before a race walking to discover the light and new shots versus prior years if he is going to the same facility. He is my benchmark in this game: http://www.darrenheath.com/

I love Darren's work.

MMcGrath

mikegeng wrote:
BTW, I am guessing Glenn and Jo know how to shoot through fencing. Preset your focus with a long lens and the fence will essentially disappear when panning. Since we shoot many venues with preselected photo holes, we are always looking for different shots by thinking "outside the hole" and use this a good bit. Some of the best perspectives are from the "cheap seats" as I call them.

Mike,

Most of my thru the fence shooting is of a/c on the move, and I predominantly use back button focus. How would your technique help me with this?

Mark

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3266

gerov wrote:
Zim,
stunning landscape shots. For that first one, I'd just want to pull up a chair and sit for a few hours and enjoy the changing light and clouds.

As for the other two, all I could think of was how many trout there might be in the river there and how much fun it would be to stand there waist deep for a few days admiring the beautiful landscape.

need to get my backside out west...

Gero

Thank you, Jim, Jay and Gerov. The good news about the first one is that I shot it while having a late lunch at a restaurant. In warmer weather you can sit on the edge of the patio drinking margaritas and dipping house-made tortilla chips in guacamole made right at your table, all while enjoying this view. Not too shabby.

I can vouch for the fact that there were dozens of fly-fishermen scattered up and down the ten miles or so of the Rio Grande where the road is close enough to see the water. It's moderately odd that there were none in view at this spot.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2945

Are the credentials at COTA granted by the event using the track, or by the track itself? ie, would ALMS credentials be easier to come by than F1 for example?

That darren heath is great! Never seen so many blurry panning shots look so cool.

Just returned from an impromptu family flight to Burnet TX for some BBQ and Pecan cobbler. Let the thanksgiving eating begin early this year!

Glenn

MMcGrath

Glenn,

You would probably need to contact the media office at COTA to see if they deal with processing credentials or if it's done by the event media team.

Mark

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3518

Owww Glenn just Google d Pecan cobbler man o man o man that looks Delicious mmmm to bad it's midnight over here maybe I'm going to try and make it sometime

futurshox
Total Posts: 2371

J-A, if you can't get pecans, try peach cobbler, that is another local favourite

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
BTW, that image is not cropped! Those Boys like to snuggle right up

pure wow Jim,

astrobrian

Glenn Watson wrote:
I read the link attached to Ram's post - $15k is for a whole year, and includes at least 4 races, so its really on $3500 for the F1 race! Now its getting to be a good deal...

edit - man i hate getting caught with my pants down on a top page post!

Glenn

Nice TOPP there Glenn

astrobrian

Going back through the "few" shots I took at Wings Over Houston, I found this little gem hiding in plain sight. Nothing fancy about the shot, but it was on the high speed pass and I managed to catch my first shock wave. Was hoping for vapor galore, but I'll take this for sure

stevezzzz

A stereo-X pair of lenticular wave clouds above a stand of bare aspens, in South Park, Colorado. It's winter at 10,000 feet; all that's missing is the snow.

Color or mono?

xjetjock
Total Posts: 1109

Astrobrian,

Nice catch on the shockwave; there is a weaker shock several feet behind the first one. Sometime the background has enough detail/texture to reveal other shocks off the canopy, air inlets, wingtips, etc.

Paul S

david russell
Total Posts: 749

stevez wrote:
A stereo-X pair of lenticular wave clouds above a stand of bare aspens, in South Park, Colorado. It's winter at 10,000 feet; all that's missing is the snow.

Color or mono?

Color for me Steve. I drove thru there on the way to our CB place last week. Plenty of snow just beyond your shoot. Our place at 9400' had a good 4" of fresh.

Rusty1
Total Posts: 821

Always enjoy the Blue Angels Home Coming Show. If these guys don't get your heart to pumping nothing is going to.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2945

Color for me Steve...

Vance, that last shot of the 6 is awesome! Great clouds.

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

Beautiful Rusty!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16036

You know, the more I think about credentials, the less I care. This is kind of like the people who whine because they don't get across the ropes access to every air show. They haven't earned it, don't deserve it in many cases, and they are taking up space and resources that are needed for someone like Darren Heath, who has an actual purpose for being there besides shooting cool pix for himself. My guess is, as long as they let me haul big glass around and I can be with Y'all, it'll be just fine. If they come through, that'll be fine as well, but I have zero aspirations toward becoming an F1 circuit stringer. I can't afford the pay cut for one thing

I'd much rather do what Tim describes, and wander around cool tracks with great access, shooting cool shots.

Heck, I don't use half the credentials I get, just because you don't need them if you have the right gear and eye. AFW is a perfect example. Y'all capture outstanding imagery from the vantage points you discover, simply because you're talented. In fact, you regularly outshoot me, and I'm out getting my eyebrows singed.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4393

Killer Blues Rusty!

Rusty1
Total Posts: 821

Thanks Glenn, Jim and FlyingPhotog. that means something coming from you guys. There is a lot of wonderful photography and great people here.

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Killer Blues Rusty!

+1!

1       2       3              3412      
       3414              4273       4274       end