Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3403

1       2       3              3403      
       3405              4321       4322       end

RobMoser
Total Posts: 831

astrobrian wrote:
Slightly off topic, but am wondering if I am losing it when it comes to live atc. On my handheld scanner I have entered every freq it has, and then on airnav.com I have added any that weren't already there. (all for KAUS) When on the feed I hear the tower loud and clear, but have never been able to get it on the handheld and also not hearing about 1/3 of the inbound comm. Am I missing something?

By design (frequency and power) aircraft radios are more or less line of sight local communicators. Which isn't as limiting as it sounds since from an aircraft line of sight can be pretty far. There are exceptions to this such as the HF radios used over the North Atlantic for maintaining separation, but for the average use, aircraft radios are designed to minimize distance rather than the reverse.

I live right on the approach to DFW and up above it, maybe 4 miles from the inner marker. I can pick up most of the air/ground and the ground controller communications but rarely the aircraft on the ground communications. All this on my transceiver. My scanner doesn't do as we'll, though (quite a price differential between them, of course).

Rob

(edit for top of page photo)

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16141

Great images from our Austin Bureau!! I should have just hung around with you down there!

Jeff, while I love "Welkerization", I like the subtle tones in the color version best.

Nice T-Bird image Rob!

mikegeng
Total Posts: 334

Jo,

Fantastic light and sharpness here. Looks like an amazing venue. I am watching practice on Speed right now. I have shot every auto racing series this year but for NASCAR (which doesn't excite me photographically too much) and obviously F1. Nice stuff

Glenn, love the heat haze in your shot.

mikegeng
Total Posts: 334

BTW, I am guessing Glenn and Jo know how to shoot through fencing. Preset your focus with a long lens and the fence will essentially disappear when panning. Since we shoot many venues with preselected photo holes, we are always looking for different shots by thinking "outside the hole" and use this a good bit. Some of the best perspectives are from the "cheap seats" as I call them.

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 629

Jeff, I'm gonna have to disagree with Jim and cast my vote for the B&W version. I like the color version, but the B&W version is a much stronger image in my eyes.

JWilsonphoto

Now that we have boots on the ground intel on Austin, we might want to make that a gathering. will that be an annual event now? What will they do with the facility the rest of the year?

JWilsonphoto

Now this looks like one of us shot it, well except it's not in the light we would have chosen.

http://marcbrecy.perso.neuf.fr/shuttlelax/Shuttlelaxvideo.html

JWilsonphoto

As of this morning I am left with my memories of Glenn. His relatives did what they do, what I anticipated, swept in and changed the locks on his hangar, packed up the leopard Glenn gave me and beat feet out of town. No wonder Glenn had issues trusting anyone. I regret that they are what they are, but that being a given, I am relieved that my relationship with them is over. My guess is, based upon how important it is to them, Glenn's wealth will destroy them for generations. Sometimes God gives you what you pursue, for better or worse. Proverbs 11:6 came to me last night, very appropriate.

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Shaggy Wolf wrote:
astrobrian wrote:
Slightly off topic, but am wondering if I am losing it when it comes to live atc. On my handheld scanner I have entered every freq it has, and then on airnav.com I have added any that weren't already there. (all for KAUS) When on the feed I hear the tower loud and clear, but have never been able to get it on the handheld and also not hearing about 1/3 of the inbound comm. Am I missing something?

How close are you to the tower? It might be that you are too far away, and either a more sensitive receiver or a better antenna will get you what you are looking for.

15-20 miles, I would think that should be within range, but the receiver may not be good enough.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4524

F1 at COTA should be an annual event subject to the whims of Formula 1.

From a "Building Of..." show I saw on Speed Channel, COTA has American LeMans, a couple of sportscar series and Motorcycles already booked for 2013.

astrobrian

RobMoser wrote:
astrobrian wrote:

By design (frequency and power) aircraft radios are more or less line of sight local communicators. Which isn't as limiting as it sounds since from an aircraft line of sight can be pretty far. There are exceptions to this such as the HF radios used over the North Atlantic for maintaining separation, but for the average use, aircraft radios are designed to minimize distance rather than the reverse.

I live right on the approach to DFW and up above it, maybe 4 miles from the inner marker. I can pick up most of the air/ground and the ground controller communications but rarely the aircraft on the ground communications. All this on my transceiver. My scanner doesn't do as we'll, though (quite a price differential between them, of course).

Rob

(edit for top of page photo)

Thanks, yeah if it is line of sight based, that would explain it for sure.

astrobrian

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Now that we have boots on the ground intel on Austin, we might want to make that a gathering. will that be an annual event now? What will they do with the facility the rest of the year?

I know there were talks of a Moto GP bike race there and some other smaller stuff. As for making a gathering, living close by I would be all for that

gerov
Total Posts: 8664

Jim,
I'm very sorry to hear this, but also feel a sense of relief for you that it is over. May your memories of your time spent and friendship with Glenn remain forever strong.

Gero

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Gero. You are right. I was getting to the point where his family was tainting my memories of Glenn. However, he would have been the first one to tell me to pull the plug, and much earlier than today. Went and had lunch at McAlister's a little while ago, we ate there a thousand times. I knew this day would come, and I appreciate the 2 1/2 months to get ready for it, it would have been much tougher had I not been able to open his door and gradually come to grips with the fact that he was no longer there.

JWilsonphoto

Well Y'All in Austin keep an eye on that facility and we'll go knock their socks off with raw talent!! Who knows, we might start "Where The Rubber Meets The Road" Part One................

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1875

PDumm wrote:
With my on going quest to try something new with photogphy, I tried some new angles today wile out shooting.

Hey Paul, this is absolutely my favorite shot of an Allegiant bird departing Willie - terrific image and I'm glad you decided to try something different

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3032

F1 has a 10 year deal with COTA so it will be an annual event for at least that long. MotoGP bikes in April, and V8 Supercars from Austrailia which i'm not familiar with the series but they look cool. There is also the Ferrari Challenge and GT3 Porche series that will race there. Its pretty damn cool!

Glenn

Glenn Watson

JamesG
Total Posts: 235

A couple more slightly off topic but still aviation related, whilst on a quick visit to London I made a quick detour to visit the new memorial to RAF Bomber Command that was unveiled earlier this year. Only 60 years late but I suppose better late than never!

Glenn Watson

ironhide wrote:
Nice shots Glenn and Jo. Where were you guys at? I was roaming around turns 2,3, 1, 19/20. Lots of walking today

Were you by chance wearing a red shirt?
I actually thought I saw you at turn 2 but it didnt occur to me you would be there. You really to train for the walking dont you? 3.5 mile track doesnt sound that long until you have to walk from end to end and back!

Glenn

1       2       3              3403      
       3405              4321       4322       end