1       2       3              3402      
       3404              4134       4135       end

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4249

Glenn,

you da man !!

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

Well, here are some pics from the F1 track today. Glenn is doing better than I am in knowing who is whom!

Here's... a couple of cars. And a helicopter, from which all your overhead TV shots are coming; spot the camera on the nose and (I think) a transmitter on the skid. This guy was busy every time the F1 cars were on the circuit.

There's also a bunch of historic F1 cars, and some Ferraris and GT3s. Hopefully more of these tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am going to take a mortgage out so I can pay for some more food... jeez, they brought the European pricing structure with them, and the portions are pretty small to boot. $4 for a regular bottle of water, $7 for a larger one. Going to try and smuggle in some snack bars from now on.

Pretty impressed with the traffic flow so far though. I have never seen as many buses in my life; they must have hired every bus charter in Texas, they are all streaming up and down 130 shuttling people back and forth to the parking lots. Bring your walking shoes though; it's a good mile walk from the drop-off to the track entrance! And then you have to walk all around the track... Sleep is calling me now.

PDumm
Total Posts: 193

With my on going quest to try something new with photogphy, I tried some new angles today wile out shooting.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9620

Not that Jo has any panning skills, you understand... just pure dumb luck she got tack-sharp captures with perfect motion cues.

Yeah... that's it...

ironhide
Total Posts: 97

Nice shots Glenn and Jo. Where were you guys at? I was roaming around turns 2,3, 1, 19/20. Lots of walking today

astrobrian
Total Posts: 814

stevez wrote:
Ever heard of the Douglas XB-19? Me, neither. A look at this video might explain why: in its first landing attempt the largest airplane in the world (until the Convair B-36) almost got away from its test pilot.

I seem to recall Bugs Bunny giving reference to the B-19 a few times

astrobrian

Great shots Glenn & Jo! Had a few pilots on ATC asking if there were cars on the track, and even one that was a chopper trying to land at his own property somewhere nearby having a slight issue with traffic.

astrobrian

Slightly off topic, but am wondering if I am losing it when it comes to live atc. On my handheld scanner I have entered every freq it has, and then on airnav.com I have added any that weren't already there. (all for KAUS) When on the feed I hear the tower loud and clear, but have never been able to get it on the handheld and also not hearing about 1/3 of the inbound comm. Am I missing something?

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 616

astrobrian wrote:
Slightly off topic, but am wondering if I am losing it when it comes to live atc. On my handheld scanner I have entered every freq it has, and then on airnav.com I have added any that weren't already there. (all for KAUS) When on the feed I hear the tower loud and clear, but have never been able to get it on the handheld and also not hearing about 1/3 of the inbound comm. Am I missing something?

How close are you to the tower? It might be that you are too far away, and either a more sensitive receiver or a better antenna will get you what you are looking for.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2730

Some Historics...

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Glenn Watson

Glenn

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 616

stevez wrote:
Ever heard of the Douglas XB-19? Me, neither. A look at this video might explain why: in its first landing attempt the largest airplane in the world (until the Convair B-36) almost got away from its test pilot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmhevFScTXg

It's a shame they scrapped her. So much history is lost to the scrap yard...

Angry
Total Posts: 1209

futurshox wrote:
Well, here are some pics from the F1 track today. Glenn is doing better than I am in knowing who is whom!

Here's... a couple of cars. And a helicopter, from which all your overhead TV shots are coming; spot the camera on the nose and (I think) a transmitter on the skid. This guy was busy every time the F1 cars were on the circuit.

There's also a bunch of historic F1 cars, and some Ferraris and GT3s. Hopefully more of these tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am going to take a mortgage out so I can pay for some more food... jeez, they brought the European pricing structure with them, and the portions are pretty small to boot. $4 for a regular bottle of water, $7 for a larger one. Going to try and smuggle in some snack bars from now on.

Pretty impressed with the traffic flow so far though. I have never seen as many buses in my life; they must have hired every bus charter in Texas, they are all streaming up and down 130 shuttling people back and forth to the parking lots. Bring your walking shoes though; it's a good mile walk from the drop-off to the track entrance! And then you have to walk all around the track... Sleep is calling me now.

Pic #1, Mark Webber, (Australian) Red Bull F1 Team, powered by Renault, No3 in the Championchip.
Pic #2 , Jenson Button ( British ) Vodaphone McLaren FI Team, powered by Mercedes, No 5 in points
Pic #3 , Helicopter.....??
How were the ear plugs
Al

JamesG
Total Posts: 227

This is a little bit off topic...

Yes it's obviously fake. One day I hope to take a shot like this with my cameras. I've created this using Flight Simulator and applied a number of filters within photoshop but I quite like the result. Hopefully I won't get booted out of the forum for posting a fake image.

Cheers

James

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3362

Whooohooo yes cool shots of the F1 that Tyrell is awesome thats the classic one from Glenn, Jo very cool and niceeeee and crispy

Jan-Arie

Glenn Watson wrote:
JW:

There are plenty of spots where 600mm+ would be nice looking long down straights, but there are also plenty of good elevated corner exits spots to shoot over the fence where thats way too long. I'm not planning to go back, only scored a free ticket for today (which I promptly lost as soon as I got into the gate so I couldn't even get to me seat) They were expecting 65k today and I breezed in and out using the required shuttle bus service. Expecting 85k tomorrow and 110k on Sunday - maybe a different story unless you buy the helicopter shuttle for $600/person/perday.

As for the lenses, they were not enforcing any sort of camera rules. The general admission was full of 500mm/600mm's on monopods. There are definitely some prime perspectives granted to those with photo access so that would be worth looking into in the future. Does iSnap need Formula 1 media coverage?

Wrei:
As for the lens sneaking, here is how my entry went. Packed my camera backpack with D300, 300/2.8 and 70-200VR. slung a D7000 around my neck with a 30mm for a tourist looking decoy. The bag checker at the gate made me unzip my backpack to look inside - she saw my stuff and said "those aren't bigger than 10mm are they?" the obvious answer was no! Good thing she didnt see my 10.5mm fisheye.

Glenn

Whahahhahahahaha you made me fell of my chair ow yes have a good one

Jan-Arie

Nice creation James yes that's also one of the angle's I'm looking for

futurshox
Total Posts: 2293

Thanks guys! Don't get too excited, you should see my reject pile. I think I better bump my shutter speed up a bit today. Rodolfo, what was that about dumb luck?

Angry, thanks for the tip on ear plugs, they were necessary at times.

Ram, we were floating around a lot but there are good views to be had around turns 7-10 where the ground rises above the track, before the hairpin. And yes, there is a lot of walking to be done!

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1733

Comrades - I've asked this same question of my AzAP colleagues and would also like to get input from my esteemed MA2A associates. As you can see, I've processed the image below as both monochrome and color. I like both for different reasons. My Ansel addiction has me leaning towards the monochrome version; however, the color has merit also. Please take a moment to tell me which you prefer and why. I'm confident that understanding your way of "seeing" this image will be instructive to me. BTW, this is one of my last shots of the day at our October photocall at NAF El Centro. Thank you.

1       2       3              3402      
       3404              4134       4135       end