Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3321

1       2       3              3321      
       3323              4341       4342       end

ELinder
Total Posts: 509

WOW, so many awesome photos over the past few pages! It looks like a great time was had despite the weather. But with good folks, Phantoms, a Bone, 3 Sabres, and air to air, how could it have been otherwise? I hope to join you all some time, if nothing else then to shore up the black lens contingent.

More Phantom, from the Museum of the Air Force in Dayton.

Erich

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3426

Are You My Mother?

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
This one is in honor of Jan Arie's tireless quest to shoot something similar, but most likely better

As always, you're the first to see it........................

[...sound of jaw hitting the floor...]

david russell
Total Posts: 749

Another one of Glenn's faithful steed. Packed with A2A'ers and on a fuel run.
Shot from Steve's Remos

stevezzzz

david russell wrote:
Another one of Glenn's faithful steed. Packed with A2A'ers and on a fuel run.
Shot from Steve's Remos

You found the last rays of sunlight of the day, David: beautiful. But check your color balance: it looks too warm to me (look at the ground where it's not sunny).

stevezzzz

The last time I saw an F-4 flying, it was six F-4's in Blue Angels colors at Reading in 1968.

david russell

Thanks Steve. Been struggling with that very issue as I edited it. I'll give it another shot.

ELinder
Total Posts: 509

What could possibly be better than a single Mustang?

Erich

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1900

In the early 70's the Thunderbirds flew the F-4. I believe it was the only time that the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flew the same airplanes. In 1971 they performed at my local muni (Falcon Field/KFFZ). The runout for these bad boys on most of their passes was significant and we sat on the roof of our house as they came careening overhead. I still remember the thunder as they would pivot and power back to the field.

stevezzzz

That performance at Reading in 1969 (I was wrong about the date before) was the first time I saw the Blue Angels. They were flying in really crappy weather, worse than we saw this weekend at Alliance: ceilings were at best 1000' and it rained much of the day. The Blues put on a low show in the Phantoms that took advantage of the hilly terrain around Reading, frequently disappearing from sight. The other performance I recall was a Helio Courier demo that took off in its own length from the taxiway a few feet beyond the crowd line, climbed at a ridiculously high deck angle and low airspeed to maybe 100' AGL, then made a steep 360 over the crowd. Those were the days...

stevezzzz

Mark, you've been posting just some outrageous stuff from Alliance over at your Zenfolio site:

http://www.markmcgrathphotography.co.uk/p573875798

Looks like you and that 600 f/4 II make a great team...

stevezzzz

USAF Heritage Flight: one for the ages.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4540

Arizona Contingent safely at home base...

Great week in Texas despite the weekend Wx.

Good seeing everyone!

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16220

stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
This one is in honor of Jan Arie's tireless quest to shoot something similar, but most likely better

As always, you're the first to see it........................

[...sound of jaw hitting the floor...]

Glad you approve Zim! And, it only took me an hour to dust spot it!

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Jeff W. wrote:
In the early 70's the Thunderbirds flew the F-4. I believe it was the only time that the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flew the same airplanes. In 1971 they performed at my local muni (Falcon Field/KFFZ). The runout for these bad boys on most of their passes was significant and we sat on the roof of our house as they came careening overhead. I still remember the thunder as they would pivot and power back to the field.

I was one of several who were around the the BA's F4's in the '70's on AAFB NAF. We'd take pilots back and forth to AC in Follow Me's and a Transit Van to the ops building, hang out on the line and chat, watch as crew looked their aircraft over - removed, fixed leakin' dye packs on the wings ..

To have had the foresight to have had a camera .. was with the crew and ac as close as I am to this pc monitor I'm looking at ..

I can't recall how the crew got to the base ..

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 545

Jeff W. wrote:
How can you not love the F-4. What an absolute beast of an airplane. Wonderful images Mark, Laura and Jim

Wonderful F-4 Shot Jeff!

david russell

Another one from Thursday - Glenn filling up.

JWilsonphoto

He's grinning cuz it's $4.80 avgas!

JWilsonphoto

This was on our shot list as a salute to AFW, check that box as complete.............

went
Total Posts: 1672

Jim that's a sweet shot, blue sky? - must be monday, good to see you back with your finger on the button

Went

1       2       3              3321      
       3323              4341       4342       end