Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3318

1       2       3              3318      
       3320              4132       4133       end

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2076

Bloody typical.
Overcast skies and crud weather all airshow weekend.
Monday morning and the sun is out at AFW.

Grrrrrrrrr.........................................

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1728

Jim Bau wrote:
Hey Jeff, Whatr AF settings did you set up for the shots? I am going to my first air show this weekend with my 5D3. I have tentatively set if for expanded AF point, scenario #5 with increased tracking sensitivity an AF point switching.

@Jim: My current settings are - AI Servo; Expanded AF Area, Surround; Scenario #1; Tracking Sensitivity 0; Accel./Decel. Tracking 0; and AF PT Auto Switching 0. I've not changed much since I got the 5D3 from Steve. I'm still learning the ropes and I'm slowly tinkering as I go along. I know this may sound like heresy, but at this early stage it seems that the 5D3's AF system is at least the equal of my 1D4 - if not superior. Maybe that is just my wishful thinking; however, it sure works very well for a camera that I primarily intended for a tripod and shooting architectural work - a very pleasant reality

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff W.

Go4Long wrote:

The Horsemen by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

I'm expecting a lot of B&W edits from the weekend :P

Hey Steve2: I was just about to post this sentiment when I saw your two images. Some of my favorite monochrome conversions from the files of one Jay Beckman came from a Luke air show we shot together a couple of years ago. I'm thinking some terrific b&w photographs (like yours) will slowly surface from the other attendees.

BTW; an absolute wonderful image - monochrome or color

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1478

I was seeing alot of red .. but fact is I didn't know the differences between these two ( obvious now ) planes. Thanks Ken !

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3360

Nice F4 shot Mark cain't wait to get going with my shots

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1408

Just a shot of our gathering on Thursday:

Gathering of Greats by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2549

The 5DmkIII AF is better than the mkIV. It's the same system that's in the 1Dx. I'm sure they are out there, but I have not read a user review yet that did not find the new 5D AF much better than the mkIV.

Jeff W.

Tim Adams wrote:
The 5DmkIII AF is better than the mkIV. It's the same system that's in the 1Dx. I'm sure they are out there, but I have not read a user review yet that did not find the new 5D AF much better than the mkIV.

@Tim: Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Frankly, besides the 1DX weatherproofing and FPS, I can't see why someone (read me) would not consider a 5D3 as their primary camera body for aviation photography. I know that sounds like a form of penis envy justification, but it is truly how I'm feeling at this stage of my relationship with the 5D3 platform. (penis, feeling, relationship all in one sentence - ouch) The RAW files I've gotten thus far are very very nice. Did I say thank you SteveZ for selling me your 5D3. If not, thank you, thank you, thank you

Since I'm currently committed to Canon equipment, I also think that while the D800 produces RAW files superior to the 5D3, the D800 is not as robust or able to shoot action at the level of the 5D3. As Bill Fortney said, the D800 was design to be on a tripod. Not hating Nikon, just trying to make a comparison of strengths.

RobMoser
Total Posts: 823

Jeff W. wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

The Horsemen by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

I'm expecting a lot of B&W edits from the weekend :P

Hey Steve2: I was just about to post this sentiment when I saw your two images. Some of my favorite monochrome conversions from the files of one Jay Beckman came from a Luke air show we shot together a couple of years ago. I'm thinking some terrific b&w photographs (like yours) will slowly surface from the other attendees.

BTW; an absolute wonderful image - monochrome or color

I decided to go for selective color

Rob

Kingfishphoto
Total Posts: 6711

Colin and Zimm, glad you liked the post. The have over 30 aircraft listed in their booklet. I guess that bike is a kick the tires , light the fires and HANG ON WILBER.
Harry Palmer

ironhide
Total Posts: 97

Well what do ya know. We have blue skies and bright sunshine today! It was great meeting all you wonderful people this weekend. Thanks to Jim/Larry for the opportunity to shoot along with the others on Friday. If only the weather had been better

-Ram

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7164

Wow Harry, that first one looks like a painting. The RPS reminds me of Wile E Coyote

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Some images from The Golden Age Air Museum, Bethel, Pennsylvaina. Images with the Olympus OM-D.
Harry Palmer

NightOwl Cat

And lots of color.. fantastic. The momentary blast of heat was welcome too

Go4Long wrote:
Boom

Snowbirds Explosion by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Aviationbuff
Total Posts: 388

Dauntless at Dusk

The CAF Dixie Wing SBD-5 Dauntless at the 2012 Wings Over North Georgia Airshow. Rome, Georgia.

NightOwl Cat

Yup, and all the way home I saw blue puffies from the aircraft window.

MMcGrath wrote:
Bloody typical.

gerov
Total Posts: 8639

Aviationbuff wrote:
Dauntless at Dusk

The CAF Dixie Wing SBD-5 Dauntless at the 2012 Wings Over North Georgia Airshow. Rome, Georgia.

That's beautiful!

Gero

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 2961

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Yup, and all the way home I saw blue puffies from the aircraft window.

MMcGrath wrote:
Bloody typical.

Life just ain't fair, sometimes. I flew home today in the Remos, 6.1 hours on the tach and one fuel stop in Liberal, KS. It was CAVU, severe clear: I spotted the outline of Pikes Peak from the Kansas-Colorado border. Why couldn't they have postponed the air show until this morning?

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1408

Kick The Tires and Light The Fires by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Colin Giersberg
Total Posts: 1994

Hey Chris, you have some beautiful light on the Dauntless and the angle of view just adds that extra touch.

Regards, Colin

Razor17
Total Posts: 257

cbrandt wrote:
L39 NX3467N ( doesn't come up on Aircraft Registry ) but it's based in Easton, Md

N-3467N is owned by the same company that owns the Spit, Spitfire USA Ltd...

Lynn

1       2       3              3318      
       3320              4132       4133       end