•Hands-On• EF 50/1.2L
/forum/topic/467828/84

1       2       3              84      
       end

Nill Toulme
Total Posts: 9365

I try never to look back, but I often fail. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Photon
Total Posts: 10020

flatdraft wrote:
...the issue is at close focus and not at longer distances like sports. william castleman said his copy was perfect because he was only shooting sports. once he tested close up he noticed a problem.

either way, if it works well for your intended use then enjoy it and don't look back.

-erik

The problems at closer distances do affect my work. Unfortunately, I can't return the lens, so I'm stuck waiting for Canon to come up with a fix. In the mean time, I will try to use it for what it does well.

Sam Bennett
Total Posts: 4731

Nill Toulme wrote:
Just another experience update... I'm also using mine for low light high school basketball, so far more or less exclusively at f/2. I couldn't be happier with it — so much so that now I can't shoot with my 85 f/1.8 anymore.

Nill - glad to hear it. If I only planned on using the lens for my sports work, I'd have absolutely no problem keeping it. But I was in a position where I need to keep either the 50L or the 35L, and if I can't use the 50L in the same situations I use the 35L (low light event work, focusing on individuals) then I couldn't justify keeping the 50L. The 50/1.4 performance is okay for the sports work I do, so until Canon figures out what's up with the 50L I'm sure I will do fine and my clients won't notice the difference.

hahr
Total Posts: 2128

Photon wrote:
The problems at closer distances do affect my work. Unfortunately, I can't return the lens, so I'm stuck waiting for Canon to come up with a fix. In the mean time, I will try to use it for what it does well.

i could have survived with it on MF up close and AF for further action but ended up returning mine (all three of them) because PMA was so close.   i'm glad i did because now i can put my money toward a 16-35L mkII until the 50L gets sorted out.

it's frustrating that a lot of 50L owners here passed their return periods before discovering the close-up AF anomaly.   let's hope canon finds a solution before shooting season -- which i say sarcastically because it's always shooting season.

-erik

Photon

flatdraft wrote:

it's frustrating that a lot of 50L owners here passed their return periods before discovering the close-up AF anomaly. let's hope canon finds a solution before shooting season -- which i say sarcastically because it's always shooting season.

-erik

No kidding! For me, though, weddings definitely pick up in warmer weather, and I would love to be able to count on the lens for shots from 3 feet at whatever aperture I choose. I'd also love to have a 1DMk3 - right now! - but I don't know when I'll be able to afford it. So, give me a firmware solution for my Mk2, please!

hahr

Photon wrote:
I'd also love to have a 1DMk3 - right now!

heh, i'd love to have a 1Ds3 right now but am half tempted to get a 1D3 and call it a year.   whoever said that patience is a virtue never mentioned that waiting for new gear (or solutions for current gear) absolutely sucks!

-erik

lord_malone
Total Posts: 496

Has anyone heard anything from Canon regarding a fix?

hahr

ed, nothing definitive yet.   i asked chuck westfall for an update last week and this was his response:

"Technical discussions about the EF50mm f/1.2L USM are continuing to occur between Canon USA and Canon Inc.. The matter is not resolved yet, but it is most certainly not being ignored. Unfortunately, I can't say much more about it until there is an official conclusion."

i understand the legal reasons behind chuck's somewhat vague commentary about this lens and am glad to hear that the wheels are turning.

ironically enough, by the time canon finds a fix for this lens i may not even want one anymore.   i might just get a 45 TS-E to use as my normal lens and call it a done deal.

-erik

lord_malone

Right on, man. Thanks for the update.

Roy Pertchik
Total Posts: 3343

Cool. Good news.

Photon

hahr wrote:

"Technical discussions about the EF50mm f/1.2L USM are continuing to occur between Canon USA and Canon Inc.. The matter is not resolved yet, but it is most certainly not being ignored. Unfortunately, I can't say much more about it until there is an official conclusion."
-erik

Sounds promising to me. Thanks for keeping us informed.

mh2000
Total Posts: 7596

>>i might just get a 45 TS-E to use as my normal lens and call it a done deal.

yes, my 45 TS-E and 50mm CM together slowed my jump into the 50L... two very fine normal lenses... though I wouldn't mind a faster 50 with AF... (which is why I am still following this thread)... not to mention that I still think my Summicron-R 50 and Super-Takumar 50/1.4 are probably still nicer than the 50L...

hahr

i'll keep communication going with chuck and inform everyone as soon as i learn anything new.

mh2000 wrote:
yes, my 45 TS-E and 50mm CM together slowed my jump into the 50L... two very fine normal lenses... though I wouldn't mind a faster 50 with AF... (which is why I am still following this thread)... not to mention that I still think my Summicron-R 50 and Super-Takumar 50/1.4 are probably still nicer than the 50L...

after going through my 50L shots i quickly realized that shallow DOF is useless without control.   the 45 TS-E may not have as shallow of DOF but at least the plane of focus can be controlled.   i still like the 35mm focal length on 36x24mm much more than 50mm so i very well might just skip the 50L after all.   or, at a minimum, i'd need all three in my bag (35L/45TS/50L) as they all do different things.

-erik

eeprete
Total Posts: 3733

I too pretty much got the same response Erik did from Chuck which was why I haven't posted back either. I also know Chuck is not in the office at the moment and figured give him time for PMA and his other responsibilities. I may try to do an in-person visit as well since I am fairly close to C-USA's offices.

lord_malone

Sounds awesome. Hopelly you'll be able to get good answers from the man.

R. Eisenberg
Total Posts: 862

hahr wrote:
ed, nothing definitive yet.   i asked chuck westfall for an update last week and this was his response:

i understand the legal reasons behind chuck's somewhat vague commentary about this lens and am glad to hear that the wheels are turning.

-erik

Has there been any further news regarding the issues raised in this thread concerning the 50/1.2? Needless to say, I'm also encountering problems with focus in close-up portraiture using a selected peripheral AF point on my 1Ds2 across a range of apertures.

kkdd
Total Posts: 27

I've made a summary about all the issues so far here: http://www.kareldonk.com/karel/2008/07/16/canon-ef-50mm-f12-l-defective-by-design/

This lens has been $1500 down the drain.

1       2       3              84      
       end