•Hands-On• EF 50/1.2L
/forum/topic/467828/2

1       2      
       4              84       85       end

wcastleman
Total Posts: 310

dpreview posting indicates that an Australian dealer will have the lens in stock on November 13. I don't know if this date is real or speculative.

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=2958

Any other information out there? B&H as of today has no information on delivery date.

Nill Toulme
Total Posts: 9365

Hey, we're all just waiting for your review. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

patotts
Total Posts: 349

my local (VA) dealer has told me it is on the way, apparently i'm first on the wait list but i may be inclinded to hold off a bit to read reviews like William's as well as ensure that there aren't any early production batch issues.

cactusclay
Total Posts: 839

Geeeze, what's the hold up already? Makes me wonder if Canon found a problem with it and is holding up the show. There are no reviews yet, it's like it just went away. I would still like to know for sure, if the inner barrel extends beyond the outter barrel, when it focuses close? Anyone know that little tidbit of info yet?

jamesf99
Total Posts: 7238

No it stays the same size just like the 85L.

cactusclay

jamesf99 wrote:

My 85L extended out.

Koivulehto
Total Posts: 674

cactusclay wrote:
Geeeze, what's the hold up already? Makes me wonder if Canon found a problem with it and is holding up the show. There are no reviews yet, it's like it just went away. I would still like to know for sure, if the inner barrel extends beyond the outter barrel, when it focuses close? Anyone know that little tidbit of info yet?

On page 4 of this same thread we are now on Uusilehto wrote this:
It doesn't change dimensions but there's an inner tube that moves during focus. Like on a 17-40L for instance. I didn't look closely but I think the inner tube moved about 1cm total from end to end.

cactusclay

Thanks Lauri, I thought I read that somewhere, but couldn't find it. I guess if it's like the 17-40, then a filter will seal it up.

CMOS
Total Posts: 926

Canon always said release in November....It's only Nov. 11

cactusclay wrote:
Geeeze, what's the hold up already? Makes me wonder if Canon found a problem with it and is holding up the show. There are no reviews yet, it's like it just went away.

jamesf99

cactusclay wrote:
jamesf99 wrote:

My 85L extended out.

Hmmmm. Funny, but my 85L and 85 f/1.8 stay the same size. I'm thinking you're misremembering or are you talking about the FD mount 85 (a lens I didn't own)

Even though I've used the lens on a 1DsMkII, you can confirm that it stays the same size for yourself by going to the Canon site. It uses internal focusing.to move the glass.

matsuib
Total Posts: 1335

I can 100% guarantee that 85L mkI's extend out when focusing in -- and that you're supposed to bring it back to infinity (flush) when storing. I don't know about mkIIs, so if you've got a mkII that could be it -- since I simply have not seen a mkII.

h4y4sh1
Total Posts: 28

85 L MK II also extends when focusing. I'm sure of it since my brother has one.

Koivulehto

85L mkII also pushes back and forth a lot of glass, and yes, it does extend the inner barrel while focusing closer. The barrel and the glass doesn't rotate while focusing, so perhaps that counts for internal focusing, but the movement for sure shows outside as well.

Goosepond
Total Posts: 493

If your 85L stays the same size then it's BROKE!

Gene

jamesf99 wrote:
cactusclay wrote:
jamesf99 wrote:

My 85L extended out.

Hmmmm. Funny, but my 85L and 85 f/1.8 stay the same size. I'm thinking you're misremembering or are you talking about the FD mount 85 (a lens I didn't own)

Even though I've used the lens on a 1DsMkII, you can confirm that it stays the same size for yourself by going to the Canon site. It uses internal focusing.to move the glass.

jamesf99

Yup. I was way wrong; and that's with a capital WRONG.I finally got off my lazy butt and mounted the 85L. It actually moved when focusing.... Imagine that.

I've been using other lenses so much I forgot but was sure it didn't. So now I'll have to retract my unequivocal statement that the 50 f/1.2 doesn't move too!

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

I don't know why but I just hate this.

Koivulehto

Koivulehto wrote:
On page 4 of this same thread we are now on Uusilehto wrote this:
It doesn't change dimensions but there's an inner tube that moves during focus. Like on a 17-40L for instance. I didn't look closely but I think the inner tube moved about 1cm total from end to end.

cactusclay

Yakim Peled wrote:

Me Too! Wait, I forgot, what was it we were hating again?

Edited by cactusclay on Nov 12, 2006 at 03:28 PM GMT

Koivulehto

cactusclay wrote:
Yakim Peled wrote:

Me Too! Wait, I forgot, what is it we were hating again?

Yep, it was unclear to me as well, but I guess it is either
- the fact that 50L f/1.2's inner barrel moves slightly while focusing,
- the idle babble we keep on in this thread without getting the lens in our hands
- or the fact that Jamesf99 didn't remember that his 85L extends while focusing

Yakim has been active to post, so we will find the true cause in due time.

FIXITMAN
Total Posts: 1475

Perhaps the point of confusion is that unlike some. The 85 will only move when the power is turned on to the body it is mounted to. First time I mounted mine I thought it was broken . .until I powerd up the body that is.

Regards,
Randy

1       2      
       4              84       85       end