•Hands-On• EF 50/1.2L
/forum/topic/467828/1

1      
2
       3              84       85       end

fotografur
Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4392
Country: United States

jamesf99 wrote:
olegkin wrote:
Tried 50/1.2L on photoplusexpo with their 1dsII. Got images on CF card but there is nothing to show. Lens back focused badly. It is so Canon's way ...


I tried it on the same camera. I haven't had a chance to view the images yet, but I don't think it was a fully functioning lens because I kept wondering "is this thing focusing or is it me"?

I didn't question it because it was only a show and I'm sure there are lots of pre-production prototypes floating around.

I like the size, the look, the feel, but not the price.....


Does this lens extend when focusing like the 50 f1.4 (I believe it does, don't know for sure)

thanks :0)

d~



luant16
Registered: Dec 02, 2004
Total Posts: 850
Country: N/A

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=235122



fotografur
Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4392
Country: United States

luant16 wrote:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=235122


That pic of Monte Zucker looks sweet. Too bad "He told us that he's been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has been given six months to a year to live. " So sad :0(

d~



Sam Bennett
Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Total Posts: 4731
Country: United States

Placed my order with my local dealer today, but they don't have a delivery date yet.



Uusilehto
Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: Finland

Here are a few shots I took with the lens at a local photo expo.
All shots ISO 100, f/1.2, compressed with 90% JPEG and USM of 200, 0.2, 0 applied to all shots.

Canon EOS 20D was used. I didn't have time for more shots so these will have to do. I was told the lens was a production unit, as opposed to a "beta version".






jamesf99
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 7238
Country: United States

fotografur wrote:
Does this lens extend when focusing like the 50 f1.4 (I believe it does, don't know for sure)

thanks :0)

d~


No, I don't believe it changes size. It's a nice looking lens; sort of like a baby 85L but it's no where near as heavy.



Uusilehto
Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Total Posts: 871
Country: Finland

jamesf99 wrote:
fotografur wrote:
Does this lens extend when focusing like the 50 f1.4 (I believe it does, don't know for sure)

thanks :0)

d~


No, I don't believe it changes size. It's a nice looking lens; sort of like a baby 85L but it's no where near as heavy.


It doesn't change dimensions but there's an inner tube that moves during focus. Like on a 17-40L for instance. I didn't look closely but I think the inner tube moved about 1cm total from end to end.



Koivulehto
Registered: Aug 21, 2006
Total Posts: 674
Country: Finland

Uusilehto wrote:
Here are a few shots I took with the lens at a local photo expo.


Hey, I didn't realize Canon is present in DigiExpo. Sounds like worth visiting it tomorrow.

Did they also have the 500 & 600 lenses there?



Roy Pertchik
Registered: Dec 05, 2004
Total Posts: 3343
Country: United States

Uusilehto wrote:
Here are a few shots I took with the lens at a local photo expo.
All shots ISO 100, f/1.2, compressed with 90% JPEG and USM of 200, 0.2, 0 applied to all shots.

Canon EOS 20D was used. I didn't have time for more shots so these will have to do. I was told the lens was a production unit, as opposed to a "beta version".



That box shot is pretty darn sharp for f1.2! Verry impressed.



Tom_W
Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Total Posts: 5381
Country: United States

luant16 wrote:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=235122


Mark has added some images later in the thread. He went back and shot a few more. Unfortunately, He had to use their camera (a 1Ds Mk II) without tripod.



jamesf99
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 7238
Country: United States

Here's a shot from the expo. May be a little fuzzy because it was shot at 1/20 and f/2.8.

The Canon booth was a zoo when I was there, with people pushing, shoving, grabbing and being pretty rude in general. I decided I wasn't that interested in staying longer so I don't have anything else to show.

xxxx





Brent Ward
Registered: Jan 22, 2005
Total Posts: 3422
Country: United States

jamesf99 wrote:
Here's a shot from the expo. May be a little fuzzy because it was shot at 1/20 and f/2.8.

The Canon booth was a zoo when I was there, with people pushing, shoving, grabbing and being pretty rude in general. I decided I wasn't that interested in staying longer so I don't have anything else to show.

xxxx






Just curious, why would you shoot at such a slow shutter speed @ 2.8 when you had a 1.2 lens?


cactusclay
Registered: May 16, 2005
Total Posts: 839
Country: United States

I found this link http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-Lens-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000I1YIDQ , while looking to see if anyone has one in stock yet. I heard 11/7/06 was going to be the release date, but maybe 12/15/06 is going to be it. What a bummer.



aaronlam
Registered: Jul 01, 2005
Total Posts: 467
Country: United States

Amazon might not be getting it till later than the other bigger photo stores.



Yakim Peled
Registered: Nov 18, 2004
Total Posts: 16903
Country: Israel

Remembering the first batches of the 24-105 and 70-300 IS, I would not buy any lens before it is at least 6 months in the market.



snook
Registered: Apr 27, 2004
Total Posts: 171
Country: United States

Amazon's Dates are not reliable at all.. on the contrary they are exaggerative all the time with the "epxected" dates..
I have cancel many orders from them becuase they kept up the date of the item which I already paid for...? Go figure.
No doubt I have heard they are great with refunding you product if necessary.

Snook



Sam Bennett
Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Total Posts: 4731
Country: United States

So... it's 11/7... any word on shipping yet? Neither B&H nor Calumet have any new information.



SoundHound
Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Total Posts: 5318
Country: United States

Oh Boy! By now I hope Canon knows how to make an L Prime "Normal" lens right from the get-go.



gdeliz2
Registered: Apr 17, 2002
Total Posts: 151
Country: N/A

SoundHound wrote:
Oh Boy! By now I hope Canon knows how to make an L Prime "Normal" lens right from the get-go.


Yes, it's supposed to be one of the easier focal lengths to design and there's no IS to complicate things. Nevertheless Canon has screwed up two recent designs, the 24-105L and 70-300 IS, so nothing is guaranteed except that they will eventually make it right if it not right from the get-go. If it's not a truly exceptional lens, I think Canon will get a lot of flack.

George Deliz



jamesf99
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 7238
Country: United States

Brent Ward wrote:
jamesf99 wrote:
Here's a shot from the expo. May be a little fuzzy because it was shot at 1/20 and f/2.8.

The Canon booth was a zoo when I was there, with people pushing, shoving, grabbing and being pretty rude in general. I decided I wasn't that interested in staying longer so I don't have anything else to show.

xxxx






Just curious, why would you shoot at such a slow shutter speed @ 2.8 when you had a 1.2 lens?



To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention and there should have been more shots at different Av & Tv. Some shots were deleted but it looks like the wrong ones went away. As for the slow speed, I'm usually pretty steady hand holding at slow Tv so I'm guilty as charged.

As I said, it was a real zoo at that time with people pushing and shoving. I had a guy try to push in front of me as if I wasn't there at one point; I had to get a little "assertive" with him to maintain my place at the counter. There was another guy at the Leica booth that walked up when I was waiting to see the M8. He just kept saying "I want to feel how heavy it is". I suggested to him that there were a few of us waiting for the camera but he didn't want to wait his turn or take no for an answer. He just stood there saying I just want to feel the camera over and over. I let him take the camera before me and "feel" it so he would leave.


1      
2
       3              84       85       end