Mustang Air to Air
/forum/topic/462776/122

1       2       3              122      
       124       125       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15462

Gunny's headed to Stallion 51 for the whole enchilada in February. I'm going down to photograph as much of the check-out process as I can and maybe fly a bit and shoot with our "Mustangs" brother Andy Bershaw, a super guy and darn good shooter!

JW

ifxbonz
Total Posts: 1726

JW,
My ears must have been ringing. I haven't checked on this thread an about a week and when I went to the back page I found the post above with my face plastered their. to funny.... Any way let me know which week you are coming and I will see if I can push to finish the OV 10 Bronco to have the rear photo platform complete. Though I know there is some government involvement in allowing this bird up. Its on a military contract with Stallion 51 for training sorties only at this time. Looking forward to shooting with you again. I was suppose to shoot a hanger event there yesterday but I couldn't make it.

Andy

A few TEASERS....

JWilsonphoto

Hi Andy,

Great! If schedules work out, it would just be nice to hang with you for a couple of days. I'll keep you posted. Great stuff as usual!

JW

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3813

Andy & Jim,
Think I'll come hang with you two for a few days also......

My neighbor, Joe Stone flew the OV-10 Bronco in the war days. I think he is one of only a few survivors that ejected and lived to tell about it. I keep talking about recording his war days especially the Panama Crisis times on tape but haven't gotten round to it yet. Need to soon though.

Nice pic's, thanks for sharing.

~Bill~

Edited by Bill Gass on Dec 09, 2007 at 10:04 AM GMT

esa17
Total Posts: 168

There aren't that many airworthy OV-10s in the world are there? I caught a glimpse of one last weekend shooting the ILS at KCRG. I made my student exit the runway and hold so I could watch it go by on the missed. :P

Sam_S
Total Posts: 255

Time for another contribution to this thread! These are from Bex Air 07 airshow. I had a great time with a bunch of my buddies on the press deck.

German (French owned/reg) OV-10 lining up:

Super Constellation fly-by. I'm so proud Switzerland has a flying Constellation. She puts a smile on my face everytime I hear her engines roar.

Enjoy,
Sam

Chris Luvara
Total Posts: 138

Sam_S wrote:
Super Constellation fly-by. I'm so proud Switzerland has a flying Constellation. She puts a smile on my face everytime I hear her engines roar.
Enjoy,
Sam

Sam, Great Connie shot. That is such a gorgeous airplane!

Chris

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9620

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I just renewed my ISAP dues and saw you at the top of the list of new members! That's great!! Is there any chance you'll be coming to the Symposium in Dallas/Ft.Worth in '08? I'll be there [...]

Barring acts of God and force majeure, you can bet your 600/4 that I'll be there. I've already reserved my hotel room, and will be doing my airline ticket (still far from having my beloved Seneca here) in early January. In spirit, I'm already there... I'm truly thrilled to the bone. And, I'm particularly excited about using the symposium as an opportunity to hammer out and pin down some of the operational details of "Mustangs and Merlins."

On the other hand, I just saw there will be a photo show... and I honestly don't know whether my shaking is from excitement at this amazing opportunity to get feedback and critiques, or terror at having the temerity of putting my photos on display next to the likes of Wilson, Bowen, Dibbs, Hall, and others.

Actually, never mind, I figured it out... I'm terrified! But I'll put up the best I've got, and brace for impact!

jbear2000
Total Posts: 6432

Being relatively new to photography on the scale you guys are - and me not being in the loop on a lot of important meetings - can someone explain the what and why of ISAP? Y'all are excited - that is clear, but a little more info would help a lot. I rarely go to meetings - but am interested in knowing whats out there. Thanks!

JWilsonphoto

Good Morning Jon,

I'm not much of a meeting/seminar guy myself so I can relate. That being said, I'm in a seminar with Bert Monrony from The National Association of Photoshop Professionals all day on Wednesday. ISAP is the International Society for Aviation Photography, founded by a good friend of mine Jay Miller. Paul is on the board along with other notables like Caroline Sheen from Air & Space Smithsonian and numerous other, equally prestigious backgrounds. The goal of the organization is to create a standard of excellence in it's membership that is recognized worldwide. That doesn't mean you have to shoot like Paul Bowen to belong, the excellence applies as much to personal behavior and professionalism as it does to photographic talent and technique. As I said before, at the moment the website is good, and the forums are a bit weak as far as participation. We could fix that in no time though, couldn't we boys!! The annual symposiums are wonderful events, even if you aren't attempting to make a living with aviation photography. I don't know of another place you can meet the folks you'll meet and learn what you'll learn. Why they even let me be a presenter a few years back,. I had just been involved in a 70 mph T-Bone car crash about ten days before and was still suffering from a concussion, so I can't tell you if my presentation was up to snuff, well, I can't tell you much the two weeks surrounding that whack actually.

Last year I did a kind of a running narration of the event in Pensacola so if you can return to those pages, you'll get a little insight into the organization. Dues are minimal at $35.00 and I think the symposium runs in the $250.00 range plus expenses. The gathering is generally around 3-4 days and I've attended from Vegas to Pensacola so it's always someplace neat with a great field trip or three. The site can be located at this link, http://www.aviationphotographers.org

There is a wealth of experience available here, and lots of fun. One thing you'll notice is that there is a minimum of attitude and a great spirit of brotherhood. The print exhibit is nicely done and no one needs to feel timid about placing their work in front of this group (least of all our Buddy Rodolfo!) I'd kick anybody's rear that didn't welcome any and all of you with open arms, and the very nature of our group precludes the kind of big ego aura that sometimes surrounds this level of talent.

I'll tell you what, there's nothing I'd like better than to have all of our Guys here join, we could really spice up the forums, the whole structure is there, participation is just lacking for one reason or another. During the course of the symposiums we have evening presentations from anyone who would like to share their work, very informal, lots of fun. I don't think I've ever heard an attendee say anything but how worthwhile the time spent was. The darn things are actually over too soon! The annual list of presenters are people of caliber in all walks of our industry/passion, most of whom, I am not worthy to clean the dust off their sensors. You'd pay $250 plus expenses to hear any one of them, much less three or four days of them!

JW

dswiger
Total Posts: 6104

Andy,
Be careful, you are giving me 'Nam flashbacks

Start of flash back:

In 1969, just before my tour ended, they were bringing the OV-10 into service into II Corp.
Up until then, our unit only flew 0-1 Bird dogs & 0-2 Mix masters.
Since I was only a ground radio guy, I never piloted these birds.
I was a passenger, san's seat in an O-2 on a cross country hop, just hangin' onto the radio column in the back, sitting on my duffle bag.

Taken at dusk/evening, Topcon RE Super, Extachrome, hand held.
Sorry, no EXIF data

0-1 in the ready revetments

0-2 in for maintenance

End of flashback:

Cheers,

Dan

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2732

Just got the Janurary Issue of FLYING magazine, cover story is about the gathering of Mustangs. Some shots in the story from this thread. Man I wish I could have attended!! Great stuff.

Dont have anything as good as the rest of this thread, but at least I like the Mustang as much as everybody else!!

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

Here's one to break up all our airplane images. This was shot back in the old days, film? You remember, they came in cans with only 36 , well 37 if you really worked at it, exposures. This was taken with my Fuji GX 617 which is probably the only film camera I'll end up owning, maybe my 4x5, just for sentimental reasons.

JW

BakerPrice
Total Posts: 158

Mr. Wilson, that is absolutely beautiful! Where is that? BP

jbear2000

Maybe done with something that looked sorta like this? I think they wrote a song about it...

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the worlds a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama dont take my kodachrome away

... and then they did!

JWilsonphoto

Dear Baker,

That is just a small section of Ralph Lauren's little place outside of Telluride. I have that particular perspective on 2 1/4, 1 to 3 120 Panoramic, and 4x5, both in horizontal and vertical, I was kind of smitten by it! Glad you like the shot. I have a 30x40 vertical from 4x5 matted and framed over my fireplace and I never get tired of looking at it.

JW

JWilsonphoto

They sure did JBear! I shot 3 to 4 thousand rolls a year for a couple of decades. Do they make a Kodachrome plug in?!

JW

jbear2000

Its funny - i had forgotten all about Kodachrome till I got a bunch of junk out of the closet and shot it last Friday night. That roll of film in the middle of the cans still has film in it! When they quit processing it - I had forgotten I had it left to do. Then there wasnt anywhere to get it done. So its just an old piece of my history sittin on a shelf. Still like the cans though - colorful... real colorful... almost could picture a Mustang in those colors...

Tentacle
Total Posts: 2956

JWilsonphoto wrote:
They sure did JBear! I shot 3 to 4 thousand rolls a year for a couple of decades. Do they make a Kodachrome plug in?!

Hey Jim, DxO does ... WHOOPS, now I'm viral advertising these guys again

Anyway, DxO has a "filmpack" with, among others, Kodachrome emulation.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9620

jbear2000 wrote:
That roll of film in the middle of the cans still has film in it! When they quit processing it - I had forgotten I had it left to do. Then there wasnt anywhere to get it done.

I might possibly be able to find you someone that does process film. Want me to check?

1       2       3              122      
       124       125       end