Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/43

1       2       3              43      
       45              47       48       end

artur5
Total Posts: 463

I'm currently using a Super Takumar 35/3.5 with the SB on a NEX-7, as a walk around lens. While the Takumar it's an inexpensive good lens, I think that there's noticeable room for improvement in speed and probably in sharpness. Considering several alternatives : Elmarit 35, Summicron 35, Distagon 35/2.8 and Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.4. With the Zeiss zoom I loose speed vs. the others but it gives me a very versatile combo and it's considerably cheaper than the 'Cron'.
Any advice or experience will be appreciated, guys.. (only Leica-R, M42, C/Y, Nikon or Olympus glass. Other mounts aren't compatible with my Alpa SB )

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5806

artur5 wrote:
I'm currently using a Super Takumar 35/3.5 with the SB on a NEX-7, as a walk around lens. While the Takumar it's an inexpensive good lens, I think that there's noticeable room for improvement in speed and probably in sharpness. Considering several alternatives : Elmarit 35, Summicron 35, Distagon 35/2.8 and Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.4. With the Zeiss zoom I loose speed vs. the others but it gives me a very versatile combo and it's considerably cheaper than the 'Cron'.
Any advice or experience will be appreciated, guys.. (only Leica-R, M42, C/Y, Nikon or Olympus glass. Other mounts aren't compatible with my Alpa SB )

The Summicron is good, but it's heavy, front heavy when extended to MFD, and using the lens wide open on the Speedbooster is something that probably shouldn't be done as freely as you can when it's on a FF camera. I didn't like the results, anyway. The Elmarit solved those problems. I love it. I haven't used any Zeiss lens on a Speedbooster, but I think the Distagon might be a better choice. I wasn't impressed with what the SB did to the VE 35-70. I'm not sure the VS would be better.

freaklikeme

sebboh wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
Sure thing. I'll shoot it in the morning when I don't have to mess around with lights.

cool, thanks!

Anytime.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

looks pretty reasonable. about the same size as the za 24/1.8 but with a real focus ring and aperture ring.

freaklikeme

Yes, and heavier. Significantly heavier. But the performance makes up for it in my estimation. It's not as small as the RX-1, but it's a 35ish I love on a camera I love. As much as I like the RX's results, I did not love using it.

freaklikeme

nixland wrote:
I am still waiting for EOS lens to Fuji Xmount SB ... any possibility they will produce it?

Doesn't the Fuji have mechanical aperture control? If so, that apparently makes things difficult.

No, apparently, it's all electronic, so... maybe?

artur5

Thanks for the input, freaklikeme. The combo Distagon 35/2.8 + SB ( = 25/2) seems a very well balanced choice in terms of size, quality and price. I have problems finding a MM version, though. Most units sold on eBay or elsewhere are AE ( which, unfortunately in my case, can't be "leitaxed" to Nikon).
Another good one seems to be the Elmarit 35 v2, but I can't help wondering about the Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.4. Any specific reason for that the SB design shouldn't perform OK. with zooms. ?.. 35-70/3.4 isn't a very challenging focal range.

freaklikeme

artur5 wrote:
Thanks for the input, freaklikeme. The combo Distagon 35/2.8 + SB ( = 25/2) seems a very well balanced choice in terms of size, quality and price. I have problems finding a MM version, though. Most units sold on eBay or elsewhere are AE ( which, unfortunately in my case, can't be "leitaxed" to Nikon).

Yeah, it's tough lens to find. Worth the search, though, from what I've seen.

artur5 wrote:
Another good one seems to be the Elmarit 35 v2, but I can't help wondering about the Vario Sonnar 35-70/3.4. Any specific reason for that the SB design shouldn't perform OK. with zooms. ?.. 35-70/3.4 isn't a very challenging focal range.

My chief complaints with the VE were in comparison to use on an a900 or a99, in that the SB turned a parfocal lens (or very close to parfocal, at least) into a varifocal and that it exaggerated the lens' issues, particularly at the wide end, to a degree where it no longer became worth shooting to me. On the full-frame cameras, I could focus and then recompose with the zoom without having to refocus. This got very fiddly on the SB and NEX, with focusing, zooming, adjusting focus, adjusting the zoom, and on like that. The VE has a slight amount of distortion at the wide end (IIRC, the same as the VS) that the SB exaggerated. While the VE is a decently corrected lens, the small issues it has with colors (fringing, slight amount of transverse CA in the corners) were also exaggerated. And I had to pick the focal length at which I wanted to hit inifinity and adjust the SB for that, since a single adjustment didn't cover the entire zoom range (not such a big deal at 70mm, but, on the a99, I'll use anything between 35 and 50 for infinity without issue).

Like I said, I don't know if any of that will be true for the VS as I have no experience with it on the SB, but I do suspect the SB will show consistently stronger results with primes.

JonPB
Total Posts: 321

Freaklikeme, I am grateful for your service as an early adopter. Any further comments you might have will be read with interest, by me and perhaps many other lurkers.

freaklikeme wrote:

My chief complaints with the VE were <snip> I had to pick the focal length at which I wanted to hit inifinity and adjust the SB for that, since a single adjustment didn't cover the entire zoom range (not such a big deal at 70mm, but, on the a99, I'll use anything between 35 and 50 for infinity without issue).

If the infinity adjustment needed to be changed for different settings on your vario, does it also need to be changed depending on whether you mount your 35 or 50? If you adjust for infinity for the most difficult lens, meaning that the others will focus past infinity, how much close focus do you lose?

freaklikeme wrote:
So it looks like the Elmarit 35 is the one. It was simple to modify- the protruding fin is plastic, so it was simple to shave off.

I'm perplexed. Metabones told me that there is 11mm of room between the Leica-R mount and the Speed Booster glass. My Elmarit 35--which has a serial number about 200 higher than yours, although the fin appears to be metal--measures 10.3mm from the protruding fin to the lens mount. Are you using the R Speed Booster, or another mount with an adapter to mount R lenses? Or is there really 11mm there--but which, as I think you said in another post, only allows for focus to about 10m?

[backstory]
That Elmarit 35 is actually what drove me down this crazy path, from using it on a DSLR to trying film cameras and eventually selling my entire grew-up-with-Pentax system--and buying into Leica R. My kit is now the next-to-faultless Elmarit 35, the schizophrenically magical yet sometimes ordinary Summicron 50, the flirtatious and fun 21-35 that might be replaced by a more serious commitment to a 19, and the delightfully stoic R7.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a camera and Speed Booster to serve as an "available darkness" R-mount camera for my existing kit. I want it, I just don't quite believe it yet. Such a purchase only makes sense if it works interchangeably with the rest of what I've got, but it entails buying two different things that work together with a third variable in an innovative/unexplored manner, so I definitely have cold feet and enjoy learning from other people's experiences.
[/backstory]

j.liam
Total Posts: 2287

JonPB wrote:

That Elmarit 35 is actually what drove me down this crazy path, from using it on a DSLR to trying film cameras and eventually selling my entire grew-up-with-Pentax system--and buying into Leica R. My kit is now the next-to-faultless Elmarit 35, the schizophrenically magical yet sometimes ordinary Summicron 50, the flirtatious and fun 21-35 that might be replaced by a more serious commitment to a 19, and the delightfully stoic R7.

We await your poetic descriptives for the R 90 AA, 80 Summilux, 100 APO Makro and 280 Telyt.

JonPB
Total Posts: 321

j.liam wrote:
We await your poetic descriptives for the R 90 AA, 80 Summilux, 100 APO Makro and 280 Telyt.

I think writing and reading should be fun as well as informative. I'd be happy to share my thoughts on those lenses just as soon as I've had enough experience with them... got any loaners you'd be willing to part with for a week or two?

Cheers,
Jon

artur5

Contax Distagon 35/2.8 vs Leica Elmarit 35/2.8 (v2) on the SB.
I have the chance to buy both lenses for almost exactly the same price (taking into account the cost of 'leitaxing' the Distagon ).
For what I know, you need to shave the rear shrouds a bit, but that doesn's seems to be a big deal. Size and weight: not much difference. Quality wise ?.. I suspect it will be splitting hairs regarding sharpness, CA, distorsion, vigneting.. or maybe not ?
Any advice or information will be gratefully welcomed but I tell you beforehand that, while having great respect for both Zeiss and Leica, I'm not fanboy at all. ( I don't buy the 'Leica magic' or the 'unsurpassed Zeiss microcontrast and 3D'. )

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3523

Do you have other lenses already? A contax system is considerably less than a leica-r system.

The contax 35 isn't as well regarded as the 28 distagon, which is a 31mm on the speedbooster.

artur5

I'm not considering a Leica-R system, ( or any other brand-committed system, so to speak). Just trying to pick case by case the best equilibrated option on.price-quality-speed-size, for a NEX-7 + SB combo.
28mm. doesn't seems to fit in my book ( as you say, it becomes something around 30mm. with the SB ).
I have the 35mm. focal range already covered with a compact and reasonably good ( but far from stellar) Super Takumar 35/3.5. Considering that Summicrons, Summiluxes or Distagons 35/1.4 are out of question for price and size, both the the Distagon 35/2.8 or the Elmarit 35 seem to be an affordable way of upgrading the Takumar but, which one ?

Atlasman2
Total Posts: 206

artur5 wrote:
I'm not considering a Leica-R system, ( or any other brand-committed system, so to speak). Just trying to pick case by case the best equilibrated option on.price-quality-speed-size, for a NEX-7 + SB combo.
28mm. doesn't seems to fit in my book ( as you say, it becomes something around 30mm. with the SB ).
I have the 35mm. focal range already covered with a compact and reasonably good ( but far from stellar) Super Takumar 35/3.5. Considering that Summicrons, Summiluxes or Distagons 35/1.4 are out of question for price and size, both the the Distagon 35/2.8 or the Elmarit 35 seem to be an affordable way of upgrading the Takumar but, which one ?

I have the Takumar 35mm f2 and get great results without SB. But this can't beat the Nikor 55mm f2.8 and SB—as an all-around single lens, single camera approach, I'm achieving outstanding image quality—from both my NEX-7 and 5R.

Speed Booster has given me a taste of full-frame on an APS-C format.

Thank you Speed Booster.

H.Lux
Total Posts: 429

I just got my speed booster. I did some test shots with the Oly 21/2 which according to Metabones should not fit without modification (but mine fits well) and the C/Y 28/2.8. The Oly 21/f2 becomes a 22,7/f1.4 and the C/Y 28/f2.8 becomes a 30.2/f2.0. All with NEX-7.

Quite a bit vignetting Oly@f2 (f1.4)

Better @f2.8 (f2)

The C/Y 28 @f2.8 (f2.0)

and @f4 (f2.8)

The Oly wide open has a narrow DOF

The C/Y isolates less

The Oly @ MFD wide open

and @ f8 (f5.6)

The C/Y @MFD and f2.8 (f2)

and @f8 (f5.6)

Stefan

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4475

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/04/metabones-introduces-nikon-g-type-speed-booster-adapter-for-nex-and-micro-four-thirds

It is a G-lens adapter, but it is at least finally a Nikon-NEX SB.

I wonder if the stop down system will have any issues with straight AI lenses?

artur5

I've never read of any issues using Nikon-G adapters on AI/AIS lenses. The SB shouldn't be different from normal "empty" adapters on that aspect.

freaklikeme

http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster/nikon-g-to-emount-speed-booster-detail

It should be fine. The only incompatible lens they have listed so far is the AIS 20/2.8, but by calling that one out specifically, it looks to me like they expect AI/S lenses to be used.

Weird that there's no X-mount listed, just E and M4/3s.

freaklikeme

JonPB wrote:
Freaklikeme, I am grateful for your service as an early adopter. Any further comments you might have will be read with interest, by me and perhaps many other lurkers.

freaklikeme wrote:

My chief complaints with the VE were <snip> I had to pick the focal length at which I wanted to hit inifinity and adjust the SB for that, since a single adjustment didn't cover the entire zoom range (not such a big deal at 70mm, but, on the a99, I'll use anything between 35 and 50 for infinity without issue).

If the infinity adjustment needed to be changed for different settings on your vario, does it also need to be changed depending on whether you mount your 35 or 50? If you adjust for infinity for the most difficult lens, meaning that the others will focus past infinity, how much close focus do you lose?

freaklikeme wrote:
So it looks like the Elmarit 35 is the one. It was simple to modify- the protruding fin is plastic, so it was simple to shave off.

I'm perplexed. Metabones told me that there is 11mm of room between the Leica-R mount and the Speed Booster glass. My Elmarit 35--which has a serial number about 200 higher than yours, although the fin appears to be metal--measures 10.3mm from the protruding fin to the lens mount. Are you using the R Speed Booster, or another mount with an adapter to mount R lenses? Or is there really 11mm there--but which, as I think you said in another post, only allows for focus to about 10m?

[backstory]

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a camera and Speed Booster to serve as an "available darkness" R-mount camera for my existing kit. I want it, I just don't quite believe it yet. Such a purchase only makes sense if it works interchangeably with the rest of what I've got, but it entails buying two different things that work together with a third variable in an innovative/unexplored manner, so I definitely have cold feet and enjoy learning from other people's experiences.
[/backstory]

Hey, Jon. Sorry it took me so long to respond, but the Elmarit 35 is my only non-Alpha converted R lens, so I needed time to switch over one of the others and test. I used the Cron 90, and yes, infinity needed to be readjusted. The difference between 35 and 50 probably isn't as great, but it will still take an adjustment. As for the fin, it hit the glass in the SB just before infinity. Post infinity adjustment, it may not have hit the glass at all, but it was tough to adjust for it when I couldn't physically set the lens to infinity. I also didn't set it for true infinity, but rather the hyperfocal distance for f/5.6, so yes, the lens can focus closer than it's .3m MFD. The closest I can get is with the subject approximately seven inches from the end of the lens. I thought the fin was metal too, until I shaved into it without any sparks or grinding noise or effort, really.

I was only looking for a single lens solution because I was tired of trying to use 24mm lenses as a replacement for an all-around 35mm performer. I greatly prefer the compromises of the SB over using wider lenses, but the Elmarit will be the sole companion for the SB. As good as the SB is, it's no replacement for using Rs on a full-frame like your R7 or my a99.

1       2       3              43      
       45              47       48       end