Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/42

1       2       3              42      
       44              47       48       end

teraflame
Total Posts: 189

ISO1600 wrote:
Then (to Metabones) give us a dumb EF speed booster. Something that doesn't have $200 of electronics in it, since I'm never going to use them.

FD mount would work nicely. No word on if this is going to be made?

Jeremy Reitman
Total Posts: 758

I wrote the metabones folks last week and was told to be patient that it would take about a month to release that product.

Strangely, the response I received was VERY similar to the response I got when I emailed the Lens Turbo folks.

Made me wonder if they're the same people...

mpmendenhall
Total Posts: 2034

Jeremy Reitman wrote:
Strangely, the response I received was VERY similar to the response I got when I emailed the Lens Turbo folks.

Made me wonder if they're the same people...

Or maybe the Lens Turbo people just passed your question along to Metabones, then copied the Metabones response...

Jeremy Reitman

mpmendenhall wrote:

Or maybe the Lens Turbo people just passed your question along to Metabones, then copied the Metabones response...

R&D = Ripoff and Duplicate

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4414

Jeremy, if you're inferring (which has already been said) that Mitakon ripped off Metabones, please remember they have a different optical arrangement. These adapters are not a new concept, just new for photography.

Additionally, it appears a bulk of the Lens Turbo users are in the same boat as me, in that I bought the LT simply because it doesn't make sense for me to buy a $600 Metabones for features I don't need (EF compatibilitiy)

Jeremy Reitman

ISO1600 wrote:
Jeremy, if you're inferring (which has already been said) that Mitakon ripped off Metabones, please remember they have a different optical arrangement. These adapters are not a new concept, just new for photography.

Additionally, it appears a bulk of the Lens Turbo users are in the same boat as me, in that I bought the LT simply because it doesn't make sense for me to buy a $600 Metabones for features I don't need (EF compatibilitiy)

Didn't really intend to infer anything, was a subtle (perhaps bad) attempt at humor.

jxsq
Total Posts: 1375

I have been waiting for FD-NEX for long and still no words to be heard.

I think I have lost my patient and I am going to get a lens turbo soon.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4243

Why buy a Lens Turbo only to be disappointed and get the SpeedBooster later?

Phillip Reeve
Total Posts: 1475

alundeb wrote:
Why buy a Lens Turbo only to be disappointed and get the SpeedBooster later?

thats the path i took, just wait for the SB.

artur5
Total Posts: 446

I haven't seen the optical arrangement of the Turbo Lens. Anybody knows if the front element is more recessed than in the SB case, avoiding the incompatibility issues with some lenses/mounts due to protruding pins, levers, lens shrouds.. ?

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4414

My LT's front element is pretty close to the mount. I would think that the issues would be similar, but I haven't handled a speed booster. I have the Nikon F mount version.

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5647

genji wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
It is, though I do think it's best suited for primes. It did some very unflattering things to the VE 35-70, and you basically had to pick the focal length at which you wanted infinity. That lens I converted back for the a99.

And F-mount would be interesting. The 28/2 or 28/2.8 would probably be great performers on it.

I was hoping the Vario-Elmar 35-70 would be an ideal match for the Speed Booster. Your experiences (plus the list of incompatible lenses) convinced me that I should forget about the Leica R SB and get a Contax C/Y SB instead. I tested it briefly today (with the Distagon 28/2.8 and Planar 50/1.7 and was impressed.

Yeah, I had high hopes for the VE, but it's just not there. I'd love to see some samples from the C/Y 28 if you get time and have the inclination.

freaklikeme

ISO1600 wrote:
freaklikeme wrote:
And F-mount would be interesting. The 28/2 or 28/2.8 would probably be great performers on it.

When they put out a dumb (non-electronic) Nikon F-E speed booster, I'll probably buy.
The 28/2.8 AIS is one of my favorite Nikkors of all time, and I almost got one this time around, but i felt (and I'm probably right) that it'd be a wash on the Lens Turbo... so i went with a 35/2 instead.

The LT would probably do some weird things to the 28 from what I've seen of your samples and others. Would it possible for them to make an adapter for modern Nikon? I thought the CPUs stuck out too far.

freaklikeme

So it looks like the Elmarit 35 is the one. It was simple to modify- the protruding fin is plastic, so it was simple to shave off. Now I've just got to be careful with the rear element, since it's fairly exposed. The combination is lighter than the Cron in a significant way- it's not nearly as front heavy. I don't think I'll miss the extra stop.

All on the SB and NEX-7, first two wide open, third at f/4, last at f/5.6.

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 1082

Those look great!

freaklikeme

Thanks, Taylor. I am beyond pleased with the combo. The Elmarit loses very little to the SB (mostly in the extreme corners, which I kind of expected). It's not tiny, but it's a very comfortable combination to shoot. And I can live with the bulk to get results like these.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10278

sweet! can we get a pic of the combo on camera?

freaklikeme

Sure thing. I'll shoot it in the morning when I don't have to mess around with lights.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10278

freaklikeme wrote:
Sure thing. I'll shoot it in the morning when I don't have to mess around with lights.

cool, thanks!

nixland
Total Posts: 589

I am still waiting for EOS lens to Fuji Xmount SB ... any possibility they will produce it?

1       2       3              42      
       44              47       48       end