Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/36

1       2       3              36      
37
       38              47       48       end

eno789
Registered: Dec 18, 2012
Total Posts: 74
Country: United States

Look at the optical diagram



and



these are quite different designs. It's true Metabones revived the idea on mirror-less first, but they can only patent their particular optical design. I actually welcome the competition.



LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

ISO1600 wrote:
The cheapest metabones is $400... I just want native fov and dof for some old nikkors.



.... just want native fov and dof ...


yes, thats the desire of everybody using the old lenses

did you ever compare a helios 58mm with a rokkor 58mm or a canon 55 1.2 ? the differences are huge, but significant...



LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

ISO1600 wrote:
The cheapest metabones is $400... I just want native fov and dof for some old nikkors.



.... just want native fov and dof ...


yes, thats the desire of everybody using the old lenses

did you ever compare a helios 58mm with a rokkor 58mm or a canon 55 1.2 ? the differences are not huge, but significant...



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1322
Country: Netherlands

Two from yesterday.

No problems in the corners @ aperture 11













Atlasman2
Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Total Posts: 185
Country: Canada

ISO1600 wrote:
The cheapest metabones is $400... I just want native fov and dof for some old nikkors.


I went out a bought several Nikon to EF adapters and Speed Booster works great with my collection of Nikkors:

55mm Micro-Nikkor f2.8
50mm f1.2
85mm f2

I'm looking forward to using some of my FD lenses.



asbalyan
Registered: May 28, 2003
Total Posts: 378
Country: United States

Any chance of speedbooster for EOS-M->EF system.... That will help me in picking cheaper option instead of going to NEX-6..



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10303
Country: United States

asbalyan wrote:
Any chance of speedbooster for EOS-M->EF system.... That will help me in picking cheaper option instead of going to NEX-6..


you could just get a NEX-5N or C3 instead for less money. they have sensors that are just as good as the NEX-6 (and better than the canon).



asbalyan
Registered: May 28, 2003
Total Posts: 378
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
asbalyan wrote:
Any chance of speedbooster for EOS-M->EF system.... That will help me in picking cheaper option instead of going to NEX-6..


you could just get a NEX-5N or C3 instead for less money. they have sensors that are just as good as the NEX-6 (and better than the canon).


Interesting.. I didnt know about 5-series... I was thinking that all 5-series are older models (I think, its NEX-5R which has same sensor as NEX6)... Only thing which EOS-M has, hot shoe... That I have found is very critical for any good system... But EOS sensor royally sucks for high ISO (just compared on dpreview again)... I may wait for drop in price for NEX6 for used one.....



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10303
Country: United States

asbalyan wrote:
sebboh wrote:
asbalyan wrote:
Any chance of speedbooster for EOS-M->EF system.... That will help me in picking cheaper option instead of going to NEX-6..


you could just get a NEX-5N or C3 instead for less money. they have sensors that are just as good as the NEX-6 (and better than the canon).


Interesting.. I didnt know about 5-series... I was thinking that all 5-series are older models (I think, its NEX-5R which has same sensor as NEX6)... Only thing which EOS-M has, hot shoe... That I have found is very critical for any good system... But EOS sensor royally sucks for high ISO (just compared on dpreview again)... I may wait for drop in price for NEX6 for used one.....


5N is basically the same sensor but without the phase detect pixels of the 5R and 6. apparently the 5N scores slightly better sensor wise on DXO than the 5R, some say the phase detect pixels are slightly detrimental for iq...

you do need the 6 or 7 for a hotshoe. i've never used mine though, can't imagine using anything that mounts in a hotshoe on such a tiny camera.



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4416
Country: Korea, South

I now have my NEX 6. Chinese Lens Turbo is on the way. I already have a Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS, debating between 28/2.0, 28/2.8, or 35/1.4 (AIS). A lot depends on which i can find for a reasonable price first.



Atlasman2
Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Total Posts: 185
Country: Canada

Here's one with the Nikon 55mm f2.8



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4416
Country: Korea, South

some pretty serious blooming on the dog's back, no?



asbalyan
Registered: May 28, 2003
Total Posts: 378
Country: United States

How does this work at macro level (with macro lenses)... Does magnification ratio changes for macro setting...
This is more of theoretical question. If it changes, no use (as magnification can reduce only). If not, just a pieces of glass in between....



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5659
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
asbalyan wrote:
sebboh wrote:
asbalyan wrote:
Any chance of speedbooster for EOS-M->EF system.... That will help me in picking cheaper option instead of going to NEX-6..


you could just get a NEX-5N or C3 instead for less money. they have sensors that are just as good as the NEX-6 (and better than the canon).


Interesting.. I didnt know about 5-series... I was thinking that all 5-series are older models (I think, its NEX-5R which has same sensor as NEX6)... Only thing which EOS-M has, hot shoe... That I have found is very critical for any good system... But EOS sensor royally sucks for high ISO (just compared on dpreview again)... I may wait for drop in price for NEX6 for used one.....


5N is basically the same sensor but without the phase detect pixels of the 5R and 6. apparently the 5N scores slightly better sensor wise on DXO than the 5R, some say the phase detect pixels are slightly detrimental for iq...

you do need the 6 or 7 for a hotshoe. i've never used mine though, can't imagine using anything that mounts in a hotshoe on such a tiny camera.


I've used the 43 on my 7 a few times. It's actually not as awkward as it sounds/looks as long as you're using a lens larger than, say, the Lux-M 35 pre-ASPH. And the shoe is far more sturdy than the lens mount, so it handles the weight nicely.



freaklikeme
Registered: Apr 08, 2005
Total Posts: 5659
Country: United States

asbalyan wrote:
How does this work at macro level (with macro lenses)... Does magnification ratio changes for macro setting...
This is more of theoretical question. If it changes, no use (as magnification can reduce only). If not, just a pieces of glass in between....


Magnification ratio is based on the size of your subject relative to your capture media, so a macro lens that is designed to go to 1:2 on 35mm FF camera will go 1:1.5 on a APS-C sensor (because you've effectively cropped away part of the image the lens was designed to produce). Since the speed booster changes the effective focal length, and therefore the smallest magnification ratio that can be achieved, your 1:2 macro will be closer to a 1:1.8ish.

If the smallest possible magnification ratio with a common SLR macro is what you're after, take the Speedbooster out of the equation and get a native 1:1 macro like the Contax S 60.



asbalyan
Registered: May 28, 2003
Total Posts: 378
Country: United States

freaklikeme wrote:

Magnification ratio is based on the size of your subject relative to your capture media, so a macro lens that is designed to go to 1:2 on 35mm FF camera will go 1:1.5 on a APS-C sensor (because you've effectively cropped away part of the image the lens was designed to produce).


Thats not right... The lens which goes 1:1 on full frame will go 1:1 (same magnification ratio) on APS-xx format. APS-C cameras are nothing but the smaller sensor cameras compare to full frame... hence your capture area decreases, not the magnification.




Atlasman2
Registered: Aug 29, 2005
Total Posts: 185
Country: Canada

ISO1600 wrote:
some pretty serious blooming on the dog's back, no?


Is it the lens or Speed Booster?



ISO1600
Registered: Jul 06, 2005
Total Posts: 4416
Country: Korea, South

i don't know



teraflame
Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Total Posts: 190
Country: United States

Has anyone taken a chance with the chinese ones? The canon fd is very attractive at the moment seeing as how metabones hasn't announced one.



buggz2k
Registered: Mar 10, 2010
Total Posts: 1661
Country: United States

I am STILL waiting on a Fuji XF to EOS mount version.
I would LOVE to have one that has electronics, not for the AF, but to power the lens.
I have two Canon EF lens that focus via wire that I would LOVE to use on my FujiFilm X-E1, Canon EF 50/1.0L and Canon EF 200/1.8L
Those would be killer to use on this body.



1       2       3              36      
37
       38              47       48       end