Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/19

1       2       3              19      
       21              47       48       end

Yarrums
Total Posts: 4

I can see this changing, either Metabones will or someone else will fill this rather large hole in demand for those who enjoy legacy lenses and Manual Focus.

Those members with the SB please keep the examples coming, I would really love to see come Contax and Olympus tests.

/s

alwang
Total Posts: 1044

Hopefully we'll see people start to develop Alpa adapters to those other mounts, to take advantage of the short flange distance.

ISO1600
Total Posts: 4470

I for one am not even a potential customer for this until a "dumb" or at least less expensive version in EF or Nikon F comes along.
Seeing as I have the lightest/smallest FF DSLR (6D), the benefits of size alone aren't much for me to justify something like NEX-6 + SB, at least not yet.

artur5
Total Posts: 462

alwang wrote:
Hopefully we'll see people start to develop Alpa adapters to those other mounts, to take advantage of the short flange distance.

Thanks for the heads up alwang.
I wasn't interested in the SB because of the steep price and I have no EF lenses, but I own a Macro Svitar 50 and also adapters for Alpa to M42 and Leica-R. In top of that, the price of the SB for Alpa is only $450 instead of $600 of the Canon EF version.
Now, I must find a cheap NEX-7..

PD. There are also adapters for Nikon and Exakta mount lenses on Alpa cameras. All these are old stock dating back to the sixties/seventies, made by Alpa themselves and, as you'd expect, built to Swiss standards of precision.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4400

Infinity focus is an issue.

Preliminary status:

Canon EF 28 mm f/2.8: max focus distance: 5 m
Canon EF 35 mm f/1.4 L: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon EF 35 mm f/2 : max focus distance: 20 m
Canon 40 mm f/2.8 STM: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon TS-E 90 mm f/2.8: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon EF 135 mm f/2 L: max focus distance: Infinity
Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4 L: max focus distance: Infinity
ZE Distagon 21 mm f/2.8: max focus distance: 4 m
ZE Makro-Planar 50 mm f/2: max focus distance: Infinity
CV Ultron 40 mm f/2: max focus distance: max focus distance: 15 m

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3517

You should get a replacement alundeb.

alundeb

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
You should get a replacement alundeb.

How do you know that? The different lenses behave differently with the SB. Some of the lenses reach infinity focus earlier than normal (the 85 1.8 much earlier), some later.

cyberstudio
Total Posts: 592

Anyway, if you feel compelled to adjust infinity yourself, here is how to do it.
http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

@alwang I spoke to Metabones on the phone about how the Alpa mount is poised to become the new universal mount for its shortest flange distance, so why wouldn't Metabones take advantage of this by introducing its own line of X -> Alpa adapters? They explained to me that the Alpa mount does not have a wide-enough throat diameter, so we may run into issues with very fast lenses.

alundeb

Thanks!
Looks compelling

They say there that some older lenses will not reach infinity focus with the factory setting.

Will adjustment of infinity focus outside factory calibrated setting affect performance, or only the minimum focus distance?

I will have to determine what lens to adjust for. It will probably be the CV Nokton 58 1.4 with Novoflex adapter.

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3517

Ah I guess it's easy to adjust. Would love to see a 21 distagon shot after adjustment.

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2411

There are a couple in the gallery I made (c/y not ZE)... not @ infinity though

Mike

artur5
Total Posts: 462

cyberstudio wrote:
Anyway, if you feel compelled to adjust infinity yourself, here is how to do it.
http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

@alwang I spoke to Metabones on the phone about how the Alpa mount is poised to become the new universal mount for its shortest flange distance, so why wouldn't Metabones take advantage of this by introducing its own line of X -> Alpa adapters? They explained to me that the Alpa mount does not have a wide-enough throat diameter, so we may run into issues with very fast lenses.

The infinity adjust feature is a clever idea.
Alpa's mount throat is wider than most of the others, except Canon EOS. Would that mean that using adapters for Nikon/Contax/Olympus etc. on the Canon EOS version of the SB, will be problematic also for fast lenses?.

Andrew Gough
Total Posts: 2080

I spent a few minutes adjusting my Leica R - NEX speed booster, and it is now super sharp at infinity. It took a 3/4 turn to get there with a new 70-180mm.

Andrew

rawhead
Total Posts: 2

Just wanted to chime in here that the "lip" thing on my Zuiko 21/2 definitely got in the way...

So I just removed it :: See pics here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/metabones-speed-booster-test-thread-t56252,start,15.html

It's kind of a reversible mod in that if I ever wanted to put it back on I can just epoxy it back in place.

alundeb

Two snapshots with the NEX 7, CV Ultron 40/2 SLII, SpeedBooster, to show examples of the rendering.
The package fits in my coat pocket. Very convenient, a Canon 6D camera with the CV 40 wouldn't do that.

Both are wide open or nearly wide open. (the last one was accidentaly stopped down to f/1.6)
Lens correction and normal processing applied.

brianc1959
Total Posts: 59

alundeb wrote:
Two snapshots with the NEX 7, CV Ultron 40/2 SLII, SpeedBooster, to show examples of the rendering.
The package fits in my coat pocket. Very convenient, a Canon 6D camera with the CV 40 wouldn't do that.

Both are wide open or nearly wide open. (the last one was accidentaly stopped down to f/1.6)
Lens correction and normal processing applied.

I think my next lens buy will be a CV Ultron 40/2 SLII ! Thanks for posting - I hadn't even thought of that lens.

Taylor Sherman
Total Posts: 1161

Nice pictures from the CV40!

Here are some using the Macro-Elmarit-R 60 on the Nex-7.

DSC06020.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC05992.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC05986.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC05997.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

serhan_
Total Posts: 432

Good shots, both alundeb and Taylor.

I concur CV 40mm is very good on SB. Corners are good when stopped down and the manual focus is how I like... CV 40mm looks to me usable as walkaround lens.

Olympus 21mm shows softness on extreme corners, otherwise not too bad. Maybe it is due to its size which is similar to CV 40mm pancake and also SB design. I don't know if anybody will try a CV 20mm. Vivek is saying Nikon 20mm was good on his trials.

I have to adjust my infinity on SB if it will improve as nex-6 was showing more in focus reds in the front then back of the scene at infinity. I will post my shots to my pbase acct but a few from my wifes acct that I took yesterday:

Zeiss AE 50mm 1.4

CZJ 135mm 3.5

CZJ 35mm 2.4

All wide open. I am impressed by the sharpness of CZJ 135mm wide open, very comparable to Contax G 90mm 2.8, but easier to focus...

SB shines from 28mm to 135mm with fast apertures as it is designed.

inglis
Total Posts: 328

Love the cats!
What do people find in terms of vignetting?
Looks like contax 35-70 3.4 has some, but I only had a look at dusk.

serhan_
Total Posts: 432

Thanks.

When I tried Sigma EF 24-60mm indoors at night, I saw more vignetting around 24mm. I should check it more in day light.

Is 35-70mm vignetting on the wide or tele side? Also how is the corner sharpness? I think that is affected also.

inglis wrote:
Love the cats!
What do people find in terms of vignetting?
Looks like contax 35-70 3.4 has some, but I only had a look at dusk.

1       2       3              19      
       21              47       48       end