Metabones Speed Booster
/forum/topic/1181879/1

3              47       48       end

sebboh
Total Posts: 10307

Mescalamba wrote:
alundeb wrote:
I was just about to shell out for the CV Ultron 21 1.8.
Now I might try this instead, with some good old pancakes on the NEX 5N to see if it can be a poor man's RX1.

Do expect increased corner problems on the NEX 7.

NEX-7 and especially after last FW, it might be quite useless.

how come after the last FW?

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3079

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2013/01/does-sony-nex-7-cook-raw-files.html

Sony apparently forced RAW corner correction with FW 1.01, at least if you are using smart adapter ala Metabones.

kevindar
Total Posts: 2352

it lacks dmf focusing which is really unfortunate. the autofocus is supposed to be very slow, and its a bit expensive. however it provides and interesting option for using lenses such as 35 f2/IS, 40 2.8 STM, 85 1.8, and maybe tamron 28-75 2.8. there is no good equivalent midrange fast zoom for example for nex.

sebboh

Mescalamba wrote:

Sony apparently forced RAW corner correction with FW 1.01, at least if you are using smart adapter ala Metabones.

ah, i didn't know they were applying it to non sony lenses. i have to say, i'd much prefer this adapter if there was an option without the electrical contacts and AF electronics (and was $200 cheaper because of it). i don't own or plan on owning any EF lenses.

SoulNibbler
Total Posts: 223

I was just looking, there is also an ALPA adapter available which can be converted to m42. Of course by that point you are spending a ton on adapters. I really hope they come out with a M42 native adapter so I can use my mirex adapter though EF also kinda works.

Strike what I said, there isn't enough of a discount to justify using the ALPA version over the EF+m42adapter.

Beni
Total Posts: 8327

sebboh wrote:
Mescalamba wrote:

ah, i didn't know they were applying it to non sony lenses. i have to say, i'd much prefer this adapter if there was an option without the electrical contacts and AF electronics (and was $200 cheaper because of it). i don't own or plan on owning any EF lenses.

That link doesn't say anything about non sony lenses.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4243

Mescalamba wrote:

Thank you, I have FW 1.00 and this will save me from making the upgrade.

alundeb

Mescalamba wrote:

sebboh wrote:

With the electronics we also get Image Stabilization with the lenses that have it. The Canon 35 mm F2 IS now looks even more interesting. The RX1 doesn't have IS, nor a tilting LCD, two of my main complaints about that fabulous camera.

sebboh

Beni wrote:
sebboh wrote:
Mescalamba wrote:

That link doesn't say anything about non sony lenses.

yes it does. it shows an example with the ZE 21/2.8.

Beni

At the end of this blog post is a solution, just a week old.

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/sony-nex-7-firmware-101-metabones.html

sebboh

Beni wrote:

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/sony-nex-7-firmware-101-metabones.html

cool

snapsy
Total Posts: 4574

alundeb wrote:
With the electronics we also get Image Stabilization with the lenses that have it. The Canon 35 mm F2 IS now looks even more interesting. The RX1 doesn't have IS, nor a tilting LCD, two of my main complaints about that fabulous camera.

Yep, or a Sigma 35mm f/1.0 that's sharp wide-open.

Beni

sebboh wrote:
Beni wrote:

cool

Was happy to see it myself, was rather annoyed to read of the problem as I'm seriously thinking of a Nex 7 now due to this adaptor, I've always liked the files.

alundeb

snapsy wrote:
alundeb wrote:

Yep, or a Sigma 35mm f/1.0 that's sharp wide-open.

A side effect of this adapter will be a new round with discussions about how to name the real and effective focal length and aperture of the lenses mounted on a crop camera

My suggestion is that we get a Caldwell Sigma 24 mm f/1.0 that on APS-C is equivalent to 35 mm f/1.4 on FF.

michael49
Total Posts: 5400

This sounds seriously cool. Makes me think about picking up another NEX just to check this out with some legacy glass and a few of my EF favorites.

alwang
Total Posts: 1027

Could someone help me understand this technology better? If you attach, say, a full-frame 35 1.4 to it:

- I assume it will have the field of view and Dof as if you had attached it to a full frame camera?
- Does using the Speed Booster actually result in more photons of light striking the NEX APS-C sensor than without the SpeedBooster? i.e, is it actually "faster" (from a light gathering perspective) than using that lens on NEX without an adapter?
- Is that number of photons essentially the same amount that would strike the sensor if you attached the lens to a full-frame camera? So from a light-gathering perspective, it's not "faster" than a full-frame f1.4, it's the same?

CalW
Total Posts: 2039

Huh, interesting. I guess you could consider the analogy of molecules of water in a hose vs. photons in a lens. If the water enters a nozzle (a "water concentrator") it results in increased pressure. If the photons enter this "light concentrator" it results in a brighter image.

To this micro four thirds guy, if this really works as it appears to, it is a revolutionary development!

Makten
Total Posts: 4044

alwang wrote:
Could someone help me understand this technology better? If you attach, say, a full-frame 35 1.4 to it:

- I assume it will have the field of view and Dof as if you had attached it to a full frame camera?

Yes! You will get use of the full image circle, that gets diminished to only cover APS-C.

- Does using the Speed Booster actually result in more photons of light striking the NEX APS-C sensor than without the SpeedBooster? i.e, is it actually "faster" (from a light gathering perspective) than using that lens on NEX without an adapter?
Yes! The converter shortens the focal length while the entrance pupil stays the same.

- Is that number of photons essentially the same amount that would strike the sensor if you attached the lens to a full-frame camera? So from a light-gathering perspective, it's not "faster" than a full-frame f1.4, it's the same?
Yes! You will get as many photons in total as if you used the lens on FF. Which means about one stop more on APS-C than usual with the same lens.

What you get is a device that makes up for the smaller sensor, but at the cost of some optical aberrations, I presume. Could be very well worth it since there are no FF alternatives to a NEX with manual focus lenses for example.

Edit: A tele converter works the same but in the other direction. Instead of using a smaller sensor, the image circle is enlarged by extending the focal length, and thus the aperture gets smaller since the entrance pupil stays the same. This thing does the opposite.

alundeb

Order placed. Shipping "before january 25", since I "ordered now"

michael49
Total Posts: 5400

alundeb wrote:
Order placed. Shipping "before january 25", since I "ordered now"

Nice - looking forward to seeing some examples from this magical "adapter".

3              47       48       end