Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review
/forum/topic/1180361/0

2       3       4       5       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17365

Bryan Carnathan posted his Sigma 35mm f/1.4 review
The-Digital-Picture.com posted a very informative review on the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4.

Here is an excerpt:

"The impressiveness of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens' image quality becomes most apparent when comparing the results to the other great 35mm lenses. I have not used a lens of any focal length (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, ...) that delivered better/sharper image quality at f/1.4." - Read full review

The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is available for $899 with free shipping and 2% rewards:

B&H Photo | Adorama

joelconner
Total Posts: 3533

"The impressiveness of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens' image quality becomes most apparent when comparing the results to the other great 35mm lenses. I have not used a lens of any focal length (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, ...) that delivered better/sharper image quality at f/1.4. "

boom.

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4127

This might be the first really positive review of a 3rd party lens on the Digital Picture.com site. This says a lot about how good this 35 lens is.

Lars Johnsson
Total Posts: 33499

I bought the Sigma lens today. And my first impression with my new lens, is that I agree with everything in his review

samfowler
Total Posts: 89

Currently this is my best lens. Its everything and more they say.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17365

Got one too.
Can't wait to try the new USB Dock.

Sven Jeppesen
Total Posts: 2261

Thanks for the link to the review

Cassario
Total Posts: 165

I absolutely love this lens, sharpest lens in my bag now.

abqnmusa
Total Posts: 2085

My Sigma 35mm F1.4 has been fantastic
no issues

Now if Sigma would just make a 500mm F5.6

robbymack
Total Posts: 310

It's nice to see sigma and tamron step up their game a bit and take it to the oem's

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4127

Mine arrives today with my new 5Mk III.

woos
Total Posts: 243

Bruce Sawle wrote:
This might be the first really positive review of a 3rd party lens on the Digital Picture.com site. This says a lot about how good this 35 lens is.

He also liked the 120-300 OS ;-)

zquaratella
Total Posts: 261

I'm definitely going to have to check out this lens now!

skibum5
Total Posts: 15133

THat USB optimizing AF fixing dock sounds interesting. I wonder if it merely adjusts interal AF parameters or can fully upgrade firmware too and do so to an extent that re-chipping would never be needed? It does seem that Sigma has been very plagued by many of their lenses becoming non-functional each time a new body generation comes out. Tamron has managed to have radically fewer of those types of issues. With Sigma it's been bad enough to be worrisome IMO. But maybe this fixes that and more?

tmoney1876
Total Posts: 17

skibum5 wrote:
THat USB optimizing AF fixing dock sounds interesting. I wonder if it merely adjusts interal AF parameters or can fully upgrade firmware too and do so to an extent that re-chipping would never be needed? It does seem that Sigma has been very plagued by many of their lenses becoming non-functional each time a new body generation comes out. Tamron has managed to have radically fewer of those types of issues. With Sigma it's been bad enough to be worrisome IMO. But maybe this fixes that and more?

Its supposed to be able to upgrade the firmware too.

I just wonder if it adjust a focus map, or if it would just be like changing the micro-adjustment in camera. Would be nice if you could do a multipoint calibration.

Arob1000
Total Posts: 141

zquaratella wrote:
I'm definitely going to have to check out this lens now!

You won't be disappointed! I've had my copy for a week, love it so far!

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6060

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the comparison here of the Sigma vs. the Canon IS shows the Canon to be sharper off center and in the corners from f2.0 to f/5.6 (where I stopped looking). Slight flare in the corner of the Canon on the f/2.0 corner square, but sharpness looked better.

Both seem to be great choices.

snapsy
Total Posts: 3940

Gunzorro wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the comparison here of the Sigma vs. the Canon IS shows the Canon to be sharper off center and in the corners from f2.0 to f/5.6 (where I stopped looking). Slight flare in the corner of the Canon on the f/2.0 corner square, but sharpness looked better.

Both seem to be great choices.

Here is TDP comparison of the two:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=824&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=829&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11208

abqnmusa wrote:

Now if Sigma would just make a 500mm F5.6

+1billion

Gunzorro
Total Posts: 6060

Thanks snapsy! Yes, that's what I was looking at. I looked at the f/8 and f/11 this time -- it's not until f/8 that the Sigma catches up to the Canon, and they are about equal at those to apertures. There the Sigma seems a touch sharper mid-frame, but the Canon has more contrast. Just about a wash really. But f/2 thru f/5.6 the entire frame looks more favorable to Canon to me.

2       3       4       5       end