Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG. WOW WOW WOW
/forum/topic/1180308/1

3              39       40       end

ct8282
Total Posts: 2199

mick5 wrote:
ct8282 thanks so much for your reviews i was going to buy Nikon 28mm f1.8 after looking at you shots taken with sigma 35mm f1.4 i've changed my mind to Sigma i want to use it with D800 i will highly appreciate if you can tell me would this lens be good for landscape as i dont want too wide like 14-24mm.
and where in uk you bought sigma.
Thanks

No problem at all.

In answer to your query, any focal length can be good for landscape work and I don't see any reason at all why this lens wouldn't produce stunning landscape shots. It's certainly sharp enough.

Me personally, if I was buying a lens specifically for landscape work I'd probably choose the 14-24 over the Sigma 35. I sold my 14-24 to buy this as I don't really do landscape stuff anymore.

I bought mine from WEX photographic online and it came next working day. Hope that helps.

mick5
Total Posts: 62

ct8282 thanks for quick reply, My brother has 14-24 i used it for couple of week but its too wide for me and heavy to carry. at the moment only lens i have is 50mm f1.8 and i like to use sigma for all around for general use i will appreciate if you suggest me would this lens be good for general use not only for landscape or portrait as i like prime and light weight then zoom.
Thanks again

snapsy
Total Posts: 4893

As stated any lens can be used for landscape, depending on your preference for FOV, perspective, amenability to stitching, etc.... The 50mm f/1.4G or f/1.8G would be good starting places. My most used focal lengths for landscapes as of late have been 70-200mm, and the new f/4 works well for that.

ct8282

Yeah certainly. 35mm is one of the most popular all round focal lengths and based on this lens' performance it will be excellent for closer portrait work and will also perform superbly for landscape work too.
I have no hesitation at all recommending this lens to anyone. Its simply outstanding in every way. Easily one of the best lenses I've bought for some time. I'm almost as excited to have this lens as I am to have the chub!!

mick5

ct8282 Thanks so much for your quick reply i will go for this lens and cliftomcameras has this lens for 699
Thanks again

mick5

ct8282 Thanks so much for your quick reply i will go for this lens and cliftomcameras has this lens for 699
Thanks again

ct8282

mick5 wrote:
Thanks again

Damn it!!!!!!! That's enough to make me consider returning mine and ordering from them. But I know this copy is great so I'll hold on to it for sure. Must shop around more next time....

ct8282

Sorry, but here's a few more unscientific test shots. Flash bounced, ISO200, f1.4, AF-C....

DSC_2698 by ct8282, on Flickr

DSC_2702 by ct8282, on Flickr

DSC_2694 by ct8282, on Flickr

And 100% crop....

DSC_2694_01 by ct8282, on Flickr

I have played around with adding sharpening in ViewNX2 and anything over 2 on the sharpen setting just looks unnaturally sharp. I'm astonished that a lens can be so sharp at f1.4.

DontShoot
Total Posts: 2315

bro at this point I'm gonna have to ask you to stop.... at least until I get mine, lol

Fantastic rendering...wow. People have been blasting this lens for the "onion bokeh" (whatever that means) but all I'm seeing is CREAMY bokeh. Well done!

ct8282

I saw a thread where that was discussed. In all fairness I really can't see where onion bokeh would affect an image. I think onion bokeh is a term made up by photographers to define a bokeh phenomena that would only ever bother pixel peeping photographers. Would a client ever notice onion bokeh?

Anyhow, my only criticism of this lens is the lack of weather sealing on the lens mount. Real shame they didn't add a seal but would I pay an extra 500 for a little rubber piece on the mount (i.e buy he Nikon version)? Err nope.

Lance B
Total Posts: 1051

Looks VERY impressive!

DontShoot
Total Posts: 2315

If you need weather sealing, you can always get one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=469774&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Jonathan
Total Posts: 3945

Cassario wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Wow, I'm speechless. Those shots are beyond sharp. The photo of the baby is just great. I'm very anxious. Time to call and bug Allen's Camera.

you use Allen's Camera? Thats pretty funny, I use them for a lot. They actually recieved their order of the new Sigma's before me and I was the first one on their waiting list for one, but I had a pre-order in with B&H and didnt want to cancel it. I get most of my gear from them, Brandon is good guy there. Plus they are less then hour drive for me.

I've used Allen's for years. Great place to buy. I can't tell Brandon from Allen over the phone. The bad sign is they always recognize my voice when I call. Sign of habitual lens lust. The good news is that Roberts Photo(Indiana) got one for me today so it's on it's way on a fast plane.

I generally only buy from(no order of preference):

Allen's
B&H
Roberts
Photocraft(Eldar is a great guy)
Murphy's

Jun Zhou
Total Posts: 810

I called BH today, and they had no idea when they would have them in stock again.

Catfur
Total Posts: 257

Jun Zhou wrote:
This is not EX lens, am I right? after my friend registered his lens on sigma website, his found out it was 3 years warranty

Sigma seems to have retired the EX moniker. No new lenses seem to have it, being divided instead into Art (fast primes), Contemporary (garbage kit zooms and superzooms) and Sports (fast telephotos) categories.

alundeb
Total Posts: 4420

Not to take anything away from you, but I don't think the 100% crops in the original post really is unscaled pixel crops. The math doesn't add up where we see the whole image as well, and the pixel level sharpness is too high for an unscaled pixel crops.

ct8282

Sorry but you're talking outside of my mental comprehension. I just clicked the image to 100% in ViewNX2 and did a crop from that image. The images I see in my OP look the same as the 100% view I can see right now on my screen. If I'm doing something wrong then I'm all ears.

In all honesty, if I've done something wrong I don't really care. The lens is awesome and looks tack sharp to my eyes. The image quality looks outstanding as far as I can see.

ct8282

I think I've worked out what you mean and I can happily post up the original crop size image at 100% if you want to count pixels and do your complex maths again to verify....?

lesgage
Total Posts: 783

I am not a Sigma fan, but after reading about this lens, I purchased one, WOW....it is the best...I would make me inclined to purchase another one of the "A" lens from Sigma
Les

ct8282

Imagine if they redesign things like the 70-200 f2.8 and the other popular prime focal lengths with such a good optical formula!! I'd be tempted.

3              39       40       end