Castle Mountain - Banff National Park
/forum/topic/1179775/1

end

philtax
Total Posts: 3057

Hi Scott,

Great set - I'm nuts about #2. The view and the light are stellar.

Phil

Scott Stoness
Total Posts: 9917

Philtax: I am glad you like 2. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

I love the composition in the 2nd one. The light is amazing too!

Scott Stoness

sozypozy: Glad you like it. I like the compostion best in 1 and light in 2. Which means I have to go back. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sunny Sra
Total Posts: 21580

WOW! That 1st one is fantastic. awesome series Scott.

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 5156

Very nice Scott. I like #3 best... Looks like a great day.

tdong
Total Posts: 788

love #3 the first two look a bit stretch out

David Leask
Total Posts: 35784

Super shots Scott. You captured some awesome light there.
David

kalina54
Total Posts: 159

Hi Scott...Beautiful captures. You have helped me in the past with Polar Bear advice which worked out great, Thanks. Question, I love #1 and was wondering if you find working with a tilt shift difficult.I am headed to Iceland and was thinking that some glacier beach images would be interesting with a TS lens. Any thoughts? you seem to have mastered it quite well, thanks in advance, K

Scott Stoness

Sunny Sra: Glad you like 1. It was my favorite of the series. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Gary Clennan: It was a great day. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

tdong: Thanks for the observation. Glad you like 3. Much appreciated. Scott

David Leask: Glad you like the light. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Scott Stoness

kalina54: I am sold on the TS. Not so much the tilt component but the shifting. Without shift the horizon will be distorted. With the shift - the horizon and the trees will be normal looking. Just make sure you take a level, level the camera, and then shift and focus. The only time I use anything other than tilt/shift is when i) I need a faster lens in the dark (aurora, milky way) or 2) a longer lens does not cause the distortion as much. The shift is also fantastic for stitching - the frames line up exactly and you don't throw away 1/2 the picture when stitching. However, the tilt is harder to master. You really need to memorize the degree of tilt (about 1-2 at full height and 6 or so really near the ground) and understand that tilt only works where you have a flat horizon (ice, beach, but not trees etc). I would not buy the tilt and head off to use it on a important trip - it requires practice - but I would suggest once you have used it for a month, all the other wa lens will bother you. Scott

sozypozy
Total Posts: 600

You have some great shots. I cant choose between 1, 2 and 3. All of them are great

Charlie Shugart
Total Posts: 28515

What an excellent series, Scott.
And your last image again brings to mind the question: is it necessary to be partly crazy to live in Canada in winter?
If so, I'm glad of it, because the pic of your buddy in the river is wonderful.
Charlie

kalina54
Total Posts: 159

Hi Scott, thank you for the advice. I will let you know how it goes...You are a big help.

Scott Stoness

All - Sorry for the tardy response:

sozypozy: Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Charlie Shugart: Glad you like them. I am fully crazy (Canadian). Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kalina54: You are welcome. I look forward to your pictures. Scott

end