Canon EOS-1D X Field Review
/forum/topic/1179527/1

1      
2
       end

speedmaster20d
Registered: Oct 20, 2009
Total Posts: 1545
Country: United States

Pixel Perfect wrote:
How does a 135mm shot on a 1.29x crop camera have the same FOV as a 200mm shot on a FF? This would give 1D X an advantage over and above it's extra 2MP in a non-FL scenario. Should have been ~153mm for 1D IV.

Just awesome bird photography Arash - you should label that series - Orkestral manoeuvres.


Thanks for catching this! good find.

I checked it again it was actually 145mm.I should have read the EXIF instead of marking on the lens. I corrected this.

now why is there still a small difference?

A: The FOV was exactly the same at 145mm. I used Live View to normalize FOV, the images on the LCD were identical. The small difference in FL is coming from focus breathing, i.e the FL of a zoom lens changes with focus distance. 200mm is measured at infinity focus, at close range it is a bit shorter, about 190mm.



dbsdaddy
Registered: Dec 14, 2010
Total Posts: 200
Country: United States

That is an amazing camera. Thanks!



jyeung
Registered: Jan 01, 2011
Total Posts: 1
Country: Canada

speedmaster20d wrote:
kevinsullivan wrote:
Very nice review, and beautiful captures, especially of the kestrel. For those of us who are stuck for now with the 5D III, would you be willing to say what you think are the optimal settings of the AF system for BIF?


same as 1DX

AI - servo tracking sensitivity set to slowest

use expansion (8-points) or (4-points when BG is too busy or if bird is small in the frame).


Hi Arash,

Could you elaborate on how you decide between 8-points and 4-points AF expansions?

Thanks in advance!

Joseph



speedmaster20d
Registered: Oct 20, 2009
Total Posts: 1545
Country: United States

jyeung wrote:
speedmaster20d wrote:
kevinsullivan wrote:
Very nice review, and beautiful captures, especially of the kestrel. For those of us who are stuck for now with the 5D III, would you be willing to say what you think are the optimal settings of the AF system for BIF?


same as 1DX

AI - servo tracking sensitivity set to slowest

use expansion (8-points) or (4-points when BG is too busy or if bird is small in the frame).


Hi Arash,

Could you elaborate on how you decide between 8-points and 4-points AF expansions?

Thanks in advance!

Joseph


Hi,
I use 8-point for large birds and 4-points for smaller birds or when the BG is too busy/contrasty.



M Lucca
Registered: Oct 19, 2011
Total Posts: 1040
Country: Holy See

Wow great review. The photos are mind astounding!

Just wondering if you can tell me:

- Did you use Auto ISO? Looking from the images EXIF, I think you locked the ISO
- What AF Case did you select?
- The comment regarding the 5d3's slower servo drive on long teles... would it be mitigated by using a grip with dual batteries? This the same challenge with the 7d as well.

thanks!



Pixel Perfect
Registered: Aug 16, 2004
Total Posts: 19823
Country: Australia

M Lucca wrote:

- The comment regarding the 5d3's slower servo drive on long teles... would it be mitigated by using a grip with dual batteries? This the same challenge with the 7d as well.

thanks!


No. The 5D III batteries don't provide enough current to offer the same AF drive speed improvement you get on the 1D X. The trouble is when you use the grip, only one battery is used at a time. Maybe if they could run them in parallel we could get some benefit other than double the number of shots of one battery.



speedmaster20d
Registered: Oct 20, 2009
Total Posts: 1545
Country: United States

M Lucca wrote:
Wow great review. The photos are mind astounding!

Just wondering if you can tell me:

- Did you use Auto ISO? Looking from the images EXIF, I think you locked the ISO
- What AF Case did you select?
- The comment regarding the 5d3's slower servo drive on long teles... would it be mitigated by using a grip with dual batteries? This the same challenge with the 7d as well.

thanks!


Thank you

-no, I use manual exposure all the time, I set ISO manually.

-I mentioned about AF settings earlier

- unfortunately no, the grip uses only one battery at a time so battery voltage does not change. If you need fast servo drive the only solution is a 1D camera.



1      
2
       end