Design Image / Slogan ...
/forum/topic/1179117/4

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

RustyBug
Total Posts: 11962

Yup ... the image of a venomous snake has been shown and the generalized perception gets extended onto the non-venomous ones by those who don't understand the diff. For some, it is their genuine attempt to be "good citizens". For others, it is their belief that they are entitled to privacy while in public to the extent that they feel I am no't be allowed to take pictures that might include them in the scene. them or some other XYZ subject.

The good news is that you guys aren't experiencing such things. .

RustyBug

Oregon Gal wrote: I would refrain from signage on my vehicle as this screams expensive equipment and could result in a theft but this is a personal choice.

+1 @ "steal me" stickers ... I've preferred the anonymity perspective (in part for the theft reason), but am beginning to consider embracing the other side of things. Embroidery likely forthcoming @ visor / shirts.

Another possibility, with room for contact info.

Steve Wylie
Total Posts: 1093

Nice image on this card, but why double space between your first and last name?

RustyBug

Thanks.

Phonetically, I've always found it difficult to transition between the two smoothly ... requiring a distinct effort to pronounce them individually. The extra (triple actually) spacing is the visual equivalent to aid in the phonetic distinction.

I addressed it similarly in the other design by virtue of the offset / separate line. I first tried to employ this similarly in this one, but I couldn't find anything I liked relative to the lines of the image.

Is it just a curiosity / peculiarity or do you find it problematic?

Steve Wylie
Total Posts: 1093

To me it looks like an inadvertent typographical error. There's no reason for it. There are better ways to emphasize your name if that's important to you. You can spread the letters apart in the Character panel in Photoshop, which is what I typically do in fine art posters I sometimes make. I would do that here, and probably drop the font size down a bit, too.

RustyBug

Thanks Steve,

+1 @ spread letters. I hadn't tried to do that in PS other than inserting an extra space between the letters (which was too big). I MS Word, I've spread the characters, but didn't realize how to do in PS. I've not used PS much for text.

You mention "fine art posters" ... that is kinda the vibe I'm going for here. It just happens to be on a "business card" size, not necessarily to be equated to a traditional business card. A "mini" fine art poster, if you will.

Thanks for the input. I found the Character panel, will check it out. I'd like to have the text work to create implied lines (important to me) to the image. Actual size of text isn't critical to me, just the lines & balance.

Skarkowtsky
Total Posts: 1419

RUSTY! Photoshop is not for type!!
Sorry, the designer in me had to get that out.

What you're seeking to achieve is called a tracking adjustment. Tracking is the space between individual letters.

Setting a wide tracking has its place, so don't overdo it. Also if you adjust tracking in your name to a specific width, don't match the width with your second word, 'Photography' as the repetition will take away from the impact.

Explore San serifs for this technique, as optically, very open tracking gives the illusion of light and airy type. You don't want to hinder that by using a heavy serif type family.

If you want help, let me know.

RustyBug

Skarkowtsky wrote:
RUSTY! Photoshop is not for type!!
Sorry, the designer in me had to get that out.

John ... no worries. Actually, that is one aspect of what is so cool about many PC FM'ers ... straight shooters who actually care about helping other people. BTW, I've got In Design (part of CS6 suite) but haven't even installed it yet. Still getting my head around the new version of PS (having jumped form CS3). Maybe I'll crack it open as part of my goals for the year.

If you want help, let me know.

Feel free to rework anything I've posted ... seriously, anything. I'd love to see what you, Steve or any others might come up with.

When you need a doctor, get a good one. When you need a lawyer, get a good one. When you need a graphics illustrator, get a good one (which I'm apparently not).

I'll likely take my prototype to local printer that I can work with to get a good set (when the time comes), but I have much more confidence in you guys for design and honest input regarding aesthetic than anyone I've spoken with locally so far. I never have any concerns about anyone here "patronizing" me ... not so when I am actually a patron.

Their ideas of "good" and "good enough" aren't always in concert with my objectives. So, I'd prefer to have it "print ready", or at least be able to communicate specific direction to them when I am ready to print.

Skarkowtsky

I made a rough. I took the liberty of adding the secondary info because, hopefully, you'll see that it adds credibility to your intention. It also let's this card act as as an actual promo piece for those viewers that you do want to attract.

This way, you won't have to run-off different cards for different reasons...$ave money. You can have a few in rotation, with different images, and can swap 'industrial' for say, landscape, lifestyle, etc. I know printers that will break up an order so you can run-off different images for the same price, no minimum required for each image. Hit me up, when the time comes.

You can then start to build a brand with a business card that reflects this look, site, etc.

Even if you don't like the particular design, I want you to consider how developing an identity with the proper information intact can strengthen your efforts.

dmacmillan
Total Posts: 4488

Very nice work John.

Skarkowtsky

Thank you, Sir. How have you been?

RustyBug

John,

Thanks for the workup. Diggin the leading / implied lines @ text to image to text.

I see what you mean @ contact info. It's got me thinking now that while I've been trying to keep my private number close to my chest, I probably should pick up an 800 number of my own ... which will serve for long term purposes anyway to coincide with hanging out my own shingle as things eventually progress. The 800 number could also add an element of credibility beyond just a "local" number to help with that "serious" and "credible" thing I'm striving for.

I think it also satisfies my sense of "stand apart from the crowd" as atypical, yet clean & classy that conveys a message of "serious" & "credible" ... without looking over the top or too much "LOOK AT ME MY NAME IS" ... somewhere between humble and arrogant.

Also, diggin' the run-off / rotation ... you're reading me well where this is kinda heading. I guess I just wasn't thinking quite that far ahead yet as connecting the two together now rather than later.

Skarkowtsky

I'm glad you're digging it, Kent. Might as well think about your goals now, and think about how you can build a consistent package for your brand.

You can still start slow, with one piece at a time.

Eyeball
Total Posts: 3585

Based on everything you've explained, Kent, I don't see why an 800 number would be necessary. Most pros I see advertising don't even have one. With national long-distance plans these days, I think it is much less necessary than it used to be.

I strongly suggest you look into Google Voice though. It's pretty amazing. You can have the best of both worlds: continue to use your main number but have another number in front of it. You can decide what area code/city you want you new number to be in. You can have it ring home, office, cell or some combination of those. Automatic voice mail that will send transcribed messages to your email. Did I mention that it's free? I think it still has free SMS also.

RustyBug

Thanks Dennis ... will check out Google Voice.

John,

+1 @ goals, consistent package, slow, piece at a time, branding etc. Trying to find a "shoe that fits" to anchor things as a foundation to build upon. I'm feeling like things are off to a good start (thanks to everyone's help) ... even if it's been a bit convoluted getting here.

I know I'm not not "there" yet ... but I am starting to "feel it" kinda like when you first leave the trail head for a hke. You know it'll take some time & effort, but you also know that it'll be a worthwhile journey and destination.

Skarkowtsky

Well said. Developing your own identity system is a lot of fun. There are many different materials to consider, from cards to site to stationery, invoices, etc.

Let me know if you'd like help along the way.

RustyBug

Thanks John ... no worries, I know where you live (in FM anyway) and have your card. Besides, how hard could it be to find one person in New York.

I on the other hand have been trying to live under a rock ... but I'm thinking it's time to begin crawling out from under it.

dmacmillan
Total Posts: 4488

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Thank you, Sir. How have you been?

I've been fine, but very busy. Work has been nuts. I've also been involved in some projects in my other area of interest, audio. I collect records and over the holidays I built new acrylic bases for two of my turntables:

Skarkowtsky

Sweet set-up. Bey 2001: A Space Odyssey

Littlefield
Total Posts: 1060

Camperjim wrote:
OMG, sounds like I would consider moving away from southern IL.

That made me laugh.

1       2       3       4      
       6       end