Any suggestions for a second body?
/forum/topic/1178986/0



jspytek
Registered: Jan 03, 2013
Total Posts: 298
Country: United States

I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 and have a telephoto and a wide angle lens - I'm thinking about getting a second body - I shoot mainly sports - any thoughts on which one may hold its value and complement my current inventory?



Patrick Lanius
Registered: Nov 07, 2007
Total Posts: 603
Country: United States

jspytek wrote:
any thoughts on which one may hold its value


No brand N or brand C camera body will hold their value when purchased new. If you desire to not take a (major) beating on a camera body, you should look at a used body that's already lost most of its value before you purchase it. Example - D2x cameras have held fairly steady in price for the last few years. Used D3 bodies have fallen into the $2k+ range now. I think they may fall a bit more still - but I think they are a great value now. These were $5k when new. They are excellent sports cameras. If you don't need video, you can't beat a used D3 for value today.

And welcome to FMSC.



eNoBlog
Registered: Oct 31, 2009
Total Posts: 968
Country: United States

jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 ...


How about a first body, then?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but for most people who shoot 2 bodies, the D7000 would be a nice 2nd body. How about picking up a used D7000 as your second? Some great deals out there, and the best way to think about shooting two bodies, IMO, is side-by-side, rather than primary vs. secondary/backup. Having 2 of the same will also avoid the momentary adjustment due to small differences in the user interface. YMMV.



hijazist
Registered: Sep 14, 2012
Total Posts: 2241
Country: United States

eNoBlog wrote:
jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 ...


How about a first body, then?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but for most people who shoot 2 bodies, the D7000 would be a nice 2nd body. How about picking up a used D7000 as your second? Some great deals out there, and the best way to think about shooting two bodies, IMO, is side-by-side, rather than primary vs. secondary/backup. Having 2 of the same will also avoid the momentary adjustment due to small differences in the user interface. YMMV.


+1. A number of high shutter count D3's are being sold here for around $1100, that's the price of a new D7000 a few months ago!



davidnholtjr
Registered: Oct 14, 2009
Total Posts: 1758
Country: United States

jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 and have a telephoto and a wide angle lens - I'm thinking about getting a second body - I shoot mainly sports - any thoughts on which one may hold its value and complement my current inventory?



If you can swing it, you can find nice used D3 for under $2000. A D3 is a dream for sports.

I picked up a nice one and all I can say is, Awesome!



thursdaylsr
Registered: Sep 07, 2009
Total Posts: 506
Country: United States

I've run dual D7000's the last year and a half, it's been a dream honestly, especially for the price they're going right now (I think I saw one for like $685 that was practically new on B/S). I went from shooting a D7000, then D7000 with D90 because I wanted a second body, back to just a D7000 because editing was just quicker with every file type the same, to now dual D7000's. It's been great, and it won't break the bank.



boshek
Registered: Apr 11, 2011
Total Posts: 953
Country: N/A

monkey



davidnholtjr
Registered: Oct 14, 2009
Total Posts: 1758
Country: United States

boshek wrote:
monkey



Say what?



trenchmonkey
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 35713
Country: United States

jspytek wrote:
I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 and have a telephoto and a wide angle lens - I'm thinking about getting a second body - I shoot mainly sports - any thoughts on which one may hold its value and complement my current inventory?


My ears were burnin'

OP: welcome to FM. Sports, eh?! I'd jump on a nice D3 or D700 w/grip for that 120-300 f2.8 of yours.
You won't believe the results with that marvelous AF, the 9/8 fps, and some very fat pixels



boshek
Registered: Apr 11, 2011
Total Posts: 953
Country: N/A

davidnholtjr wrote:
boshek wrote:
monkey



Say what?



I was waking the monkey up!!!!



trenchmonkey
Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Total Posts: 35713
Country: United States

Thanks, Mike! Always glad to help.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7891
Country: United States

I picked up one of those higher shutter count D3's too, and I'd say that's the way to go if you can find one still there



davidnholtjr
Registered: Oct 14, 2009
Total Posts: 1758
Country: United States

boshek wrote:
davidnholtjr wrote:
boshek wrote:
monkey



Say what?



I was waking the monkey up!!!!



workerdrone
Registered: Dec 29, 2010
Total Posts: 1201
Country: United States

Just throwing this out there - D800 takes the same battery as the D7000 and would give you real WA performance with your wide angle lenses. I have a D800 and D7000 currently which works very well for me - ultimate detail, less DOF, amazing low light AF and performance, and wide shooting with the D800; faster fps, more reach, and reasonable file sizes with the D7000. And they both take SD cards.

But you do lose fps and may not need the extra mp for anything.



boshek
Registered: Apr 11, 2011
Total Posts: 953
Country: N/A

trenchmonkey wrote:
Thanks, Mike! Always glad to help.



I knew you would!!!



jspytek
Registered: Jan 03, 2013
Total Posts: 298
Country: United States

Thank ya'll very much for the input - I like the idea of shooting on the same body - but I will read up a bit more on the D3. I'm encourage that you guy like a camera which has been out for years but you can still recommend it.

So, maybe this is a discussion on a different tread - but is the majority of the difference in the two cameras D3 vs D7000 - full frame vs cropped frame? Any suggestions on where I can look to "see" the difference / improvement of going to a full frame?

Again thank you for the warm welcome - I'm looking forward to learning and getting better!



jspytek
Registered: Jan 03, 2013
Total Posts: 298
Country: United States

Please don't reply to my last D3 vs D7000 question - I'll check the Nikon forum (just reread all your posts and realized ok question just wrong forum).

J



lxdesign
Registered: Jan 04, 2004
Total Posts: 5965
Country: Canada

workerdrone wrote:
Just throwing this out there - D800 takes the same battery as the D7000 and would give you real WA performance with your wide angle lenses. I have a D800 and D7000 currently which works very well for me - ultimate detail, less DOF, amazing low light AF and performance, and wide shooting with the D800; faster fps, more reach, and reasonable file sizes with the D7000. And they both take SD cards.

But you do lose fps and may not need the extra mp for anything.


That is my combo too......