Videographers
/forum/topic/1178885/0

tonyhart
Total Posts: 2347

The majority of the weddings I shoot do not have any professional videography. Perhaps 25% do. I work with videographers relatively regularly therefore, but not on the majority of shoots. I've yet to encounter anyone who has truly impressed me. I am asked occasionally whether I can recommend a videographer (along with requests for other recommendations). I have never really been able to fulfil this request adequately because of the reason above, but I've also found that working with a videographer - while perfectly possible - is a less ideal situation than working with professional video coverage. Even when there is plenty of good will, the situation introduces more compromises than when only a tog is present.

Over the years I've equivocated and obfuscated and changed my mind a hundred times on exactly how to handle this question from clients. If it comes up in conversation I'll usually be relatively frank without being committal. Today is a new year and I thought I'd try a more honest/direct approach. I had this question in a recent email enquiry and replied as follows:

With regards video, I haven't worked with many impressive videographers I'm afraid. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't been lucky enough to encounter them! Please also bear in mind, that wedding photography and wedding videography can detract from one another. Photographers in the background of videos and videographers in the background of photographs is largely avoidable, particularly when there is a mutual understanding, but generally any particular situation during a wedding has it's own best vantage point, and when both the videographer and photographer want the same location, both have to compromise. Please don't misunderstand me - I've worked alongside plenty of videographers in a perfectly harmonious way and am ready and happy to do so again, but we each make the others job more difficult and to that end I always ask my couples to at least consider whether they're willing to accept the inherent compromises.

I recognise that this is a dangerous topic and could easily unearth strong opinions, but hopefully we can discuss it calmly! There will be those out there who disagree and will call me a noob and a shirker for this attitude. That's a perfectly acceptable POV. There will also be those who agree, and those who agree but would never tell a client. There are a whole host of valid opinions, this is merely my own.

Above all I'm interested in your thoughts on conveying this belief to a client. To a greater and greater extent I'm finding that a 'full disclosure' approach works well for me. I'm naturally honest, and (I think) I know how to do it, while remaining polite. At the end of the day, it's their wedding and they can have it anyway they want, but they're considering my services, at least in part, for the expertise that comes with them and I'm interested to see how a direct approach goes.

That Photog
Total Posts: 140

I find that example images do a lot of good. I like showing what DJ lasers can do to dance pictures, what Uncle Bobs do to formals and what brides who do not smile while getting ready look like.
It is my job to make the best out of what is given, but I also feel it necessary to inform/nudge the clients about decisions that affect the quality of my work.

friscoron
Total Posts: 5286

I wouldn't do it, Tony. A lot of couples have their heart set on having both video and photo, and some videographers are warning the couple that some photographers do no co-exist well with videographers. Your couple may see this note and think: Ah, this is a photographer who doesn't like to work with videographers.

More importantly, it's like you're trying to discourage them from hiring a videographer. Not sure why you'd want to do that. It doesn't sound like you've had a real problem with a videographer, and they're usually just part of the deal. I would just let them know that while you work fine with videographers, you haven't met one yet that rocked your world.

jmraso
Total Posts: 2507

Here in Spain video is normally hired along with the photos to the same studio so the photographer owning the studio has to hire the videographer, if I said I dont provide video so go find it somewhere else I would lose quite a few weddings for sure.

Jaime

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5775

friscoron wrote:

I wouldn't do it, Tony. A lot of couples have their heart set on having both video and photo. ... Your couple may see this note and think: Ah, this is a photographer who doesn't like to work with videographers.

+1

Marici Photo
Total Posts: 274

D. Diggler wrote:
friscoron wrote:

I wouldn't do it, Tony. A lot of couples have their heart set on having both video and photo. ... Your couple may see this note and think: Ah, this is a photographer who doesn't like to work with videographers.

+1

+1

I've run into the similar situation several times. I believe in honesty just as you do. I try to be upfront ( and sometimes blunt) to make sure I'm signing on clients I'm compatible with. I've worked with Bridezillas before and I try my best to not let that happen again.

But I don't think the response you have written out is the best. I just tell my clients that I don't know anyone who's style is similar to mine yet, so I'm sorry but I do not have any references.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3760

I think I will PM you tomorrow. *hides in shadows*

tonyhart
Total Posts: 2347

PM me Rich. Your thoughts are always interesting.

Jamesbjenkins
Total Posts: 835

In my experience, many video guys are perfectly fine and pleasant to work with, but quite a few have been territorial A-holes with me, constantly getting in my way and making things quite difficult even after I attempted to "get on the same page" with them.

Also, many videographers apparently love to trash us photogs to their prospective clients. I usually try to feel out through conversation at the initial consult whether the couple has a videographer already or not. If they don't, I usually recommend of the two or three I've worked with that are cool. Otherwise, I leave it alone and prepare to deal with prima donna video jerk again...it's nice to be pleasantly surprised once in a while.

G-Gore
Total Posts: 421

I think it's all about who you are working with. And what style the video guy is shooting. If it's a documentary, he has no need to be in your face at any moment. If he is doing Hollywood production - it's a big problem - there cannot be to directors of the same show.

The best solution is to get a videographer on-board of your team and offer both services at once. This way you will have video guy working for you, with you.

misty23
Total Posts: 155

I've referred two videographers for over 10 years and they refer me. We work together, not against each other.