Long lens project
/forum/topic/1177982/0

morris
Total Posts: 38103

As people hear have the tools to do this, I'm posting this OT tip. I hope you don't mind.

ISS as it flew over my house this evening

After photographing with my D200 + 80-400 VR @ 400mm, ISO 400, 1/320, f8, humongous crop

In Photoshop I step interpreted repeatedly till I had a one gig file. Then cropped and sharpened.

For anyone with a long lens, this is a real fun project.

Morris

KirkB
Total Posts: 10917

I think you mean ISS Morris.

Very cool, and well done... thanks for posting.

Kirk

morris

KirkB wrote:
I think you mean ISS Morris.

Very cool, and well done... thanks for posting.

Kirk

Yes and corrected. Thank you Kirk.

Morris

Jason Lang
Total Posts: 657

Very neat!

surfnron
Total Posts: 32417

Neat stuff Morris ~ Ron

kbarrera
Total Posts: 794

Very cool Morris.

Al

morris

Jason Lang wrote:
Very neat!

Thank you Jason

Morris

morris

surfnron wrote:
Neat stuff Morris ~ Ron

Thank you Ron,

Morris

morris

kbarrera wrote:
Very cool Morris.

Al

Thank you Al,

Morris

pfnskyshots
Total Posts: 909

Nice Morris! I took one with my 5DM2 and 100-400mm lens sort of on a whim a few years ago and caught the shuttle docked to the station. I cropped in almost to pixel level and it's really blurry but with a little imagination, you can see the shuttle docked. Haven't been able to recreate the feat since though. Never could get it focused well enough to tell it was any more than a fuzzy star. It's actually quite a challenge! I still try this from time to time. I'll be glad to upload my shot here but I don't want to hijack the thread without permission.

Tim Kuhn
Total Posts: 45250

Very cool Morris!

Tim

morris

pfnskyshots wrote:
Nice Morris! I took one with my 5DM2 and 100-400mm lens sort of on a whim a few years ago and caught the shuttle docked to the station. I cropped in almost to pixel level and it's really blurry but with a little imagination, you can see the shuttle docked. Haven't been able to recreate the feat since though. Never could get it focused well enough to tell it was any more than a fuzzy star. It's actually quite a challenge! I still try this from time to time. I'll be glad to upload my shot here but I don't want to hijack the thread without permission.

Hi Richard,

I'd love to see the image you captured. I've seen some stunners with longer lenses than we have.

Morris

morris

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Very cool Morris!

Tim

Thank you Tim

Morris

pfnskyshots

Let me post two shots here. The first one is zoomed using Adobe Bridge to 400% and saved. The second one is zoomed until you can start to see pixelation.

I've had a Canon 7D for almost a year now which will increase my zoom factor with my lens. Unfortunately, everything I've taken with it needed to be tossed. The ones I posted here are simply beginners luck! (I wish I was a beginner again )

morris

I saw something similar when I zoomed way in.

For people with 500 and 600mm with a 2xTC and good skill should be able to do what this person did with a telescope:

http://legault.perso.sfr.fr/eclipse101221_lunar_transit.html

pfnskyshots

I saw that before Morris. It was pretty impressive then and it still is now. Wish I had the setup that could do that. I have an early Celestron 8" telescope that will take a camera and has auto guide functions; I can't upload satellite information though to track them. Besides, the gearing inside the guide mechanism isn't accurate enough to allow long exposures of stars either so it's quite a disappointment. I may go ahead and try to sell it to someone as a good "beginner" scope - it tracks well enough for visual observations and has a goto function that makes finding objects fairly easy.

I have a friend (not nearby though) who has a telescope that will accept satellite tracking data and has got some fairly descent pictures of the ISS and shuttle before. Don't know where he's hidden them on the internet though so I can't point you to them right now. Oh well...time to get out and practice again, once the clouds go away!

Conrad Tan
Total Posts: 28401

WOWWWWWWWWW

morris

Conrad Tan wrote:
WOWWWWWWWWW

Thank you Conrad,

You have the gear and skill to pull this off. Lets see what you can do :-}

Morris