D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?
/forum/topic/1176623/2

1       2      
3
       4       5       end

RRRoger
Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Total Posts: 1238
Country: United States

dholl wrote:
dholl wrote:a certain Nikon battery had some QC-issues too, and was also very close to being officially recalled, before being bulk-replaced by a new serial-number batch.


Oh, it has been officially recalled, with serial-number quote too:

in German quote<<<

That was a year ago, I had plenty of spares and they shipped me a new battery with return postage for the "bad" one that worked perfectly.



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

RRRoger wrote:
That was a year ago, I had plenty of spares and they shipped me a new battery with return postage for the "bad" one that worked perfectly.



Oh yeah...I got the impression from the shopkeep that it was a recent issue. On DPR I just got told this by a spanish member:

Serial numbers 6xxxxxx are Europe ones. Here in Spain, as far as I know, we have 6020xxxx - 6024xxxxx.... and all of them have these dust/oil issues

I'm gonna buy the camera tomorrow anyway



borismilan
Registered: Aug 02, 2010
Total Posts: 155
Country: United States

I think you are going to be pleased with the D600, I moved from a 60D and the upgrade in every way is noticeable, still getting used to the lay out of buttons etc but loving the camera, plus here in the US some very nice offers due to Christmas, not sure these are showing in Germany, good luck and happy new year with your new acquisition



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

borismilan wrote:
I think you are going to be pleased with the D600, I moved from a 60D and the upgrade in every way is noticeable, still getting used to the lay out of buttons etc but loving the camera, plus here in the US some very nice offers due to Christmas, not sure these are showing in Germany, good luck and happy new year with your new acquisition


We've got the bodies going for around €1600 and the kit for €2100. The lens seems fine, but not worth €500 to me...so I'll be getting the body.

Oh yeah, the upgrade from even the very best APS-C camera (D300, 7D, K5) to the lowliest full-frame (5DI or A850) will still be a revelation. The sensor size really does make that big a difference...at least for me. I also know many excellent photo/videographers who are happy with Fourthirds/APS-C, so as with most things, it's largely in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't have time today to bag me the D600, but I did order some accessories online (remote kit, adaptors, extra battery, SB-28DX)...so no going back now!

On the subject of SB-28DX, anyone have experience of using this flash? I only have experience with SB's 20/25/28, which I used manually on various cameras over the years. The DX-version I believe is the first SB flash to be optimised for digital Nikons. Tho' not sure how the 'DX' flash will communicate with a FX digital SLR.

I guess I could have got a SB600/700/800/900, but the 28DX I got for less than half the price than what those go for...so let's see how I get on with it. Not a big user of flash anyway but it's nice to have a serious kit to hand when the onboard isn't quite enough.


And related to my earlier impression about how I found my 1DII's viewfinder brighter than my 5DII's, and how the D600's finder was even brighter: turns out I had the EG-S screen in my 5DII all along, haha Just as a few of you were saying earlier, that this is the screen which generally darkens when stopping down or using slow lenses. I got my 5DII used 18 months ago, and never clicked that I might have a specialist focus screen in there. Funny that.


äääänyway, will ooopdate the thread after I get my D600 on Monday. Will write up a little vs 5DII comparison then I guess we're done here. But any further feedback from anyone is still appreciated



Michaelparris
Registered: Sep 15, 2008
Total Posts: 2148
Country: United States

Why no consideration for the 6D since you already habe canon glass



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

Michaelparris wrote:
Why no consideration for the 6D since you already habe canon glass


I know I wrote a lot, but right at the very beginning of the very first post I wrote this:


dholl wrote:
The reasons for wanting to replace:

- I use a lot of manual Nikkor glass on my Canon anyway, chiefly because I prefer the way the focus ring turns.
- when I do use AF lenses, I miss having a manual aperture ring.



The 6D or D800 - or even 5DIII after all...ach, even A-99 or VG-900 are in there as sub-€3000 full-frame interchangeable-lens 1080p options - might have all been considered had I not been satisfied with the D600's viewfinder in-store. But I liked it after all.

By the way still not bought it yet. MediaMarkt have actually sold out, so I'm hoping the price will remain at €1599 for the body once the new year kicks off properly tomorrow.



Jun Zhou
Registered: Mar 06, 2007
Total Posts: 809
Country: United States

if you don't mind the oil and dust, D600 is a good choice.



RRRoger
Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Total Posts: 1238
Country: United States

Jun Zhou wrote:
if you don't mind the oil and dust, D600 is a good choice. quote<<<

What oil and dust?

I got the first one in Monterey Bay and it is still clean after thousands of shots.



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

RRRoger wrote:
What oil and dust?


You must have missed the millions of threads about sensor spots



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

Just doing some idle lens-collecting...got the 18-55 & 55-200 VR kit lenses now...quite cheap when buying used. Wanna see how their VR performs in video mode. DX-only, of course..but for video I expect that doesn't matter, only that I have to mentally x1.5 the focal lengths.

Not impressed by the 18-200 or 18-300 VR's, by some accounts there seems to be too large a concession in quality. Apparently the Sigma 18-250 OS beats the Nikkor superzooms (source: dpreview).

In time, I think the Nikkor 28-300mm VR would ultimately be the best choice as standard stabilised superzoom. Ming Thein quite liked it on full-frame.


So got the lenses, got the flash, got the accessories...now just have to get the camera



Jun Zhou
Registered: Mar 06, 2007
Total Posts: 809
Country: United States

RRRoger wrote:
What oil and dust?

I got the first one in Monterey Bay and it is still clean after thousands of shots.


guess you are lucky?



RRRoger
Registered: Apr 10, 2004
Total Posts: 1238
Country: United States

dholl wrote:
RRRoger wrote:
What oil and dust?


Quote>You must have missed the millions of threads about sensor spots quote<<<

It is not unusual for someone to post many times about some problem they are having whether it is real or imagined.
There certainly have not been millions of posts let alone threads?
I would guess that the majority of D600 users have been"lucky" about oil and dust.
Why would most of them bother to post?
For most of the ones who have gotten dust (usually thru a lens change), a simple cleaning fixed their problem and they have not bothered to post either.

Back to the original question, to be fair, I did not find any dust in my 5D2 either.



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

RRRoger wrote:
It is not unusual for someone to post many times about some problem they are having whether it is real or imagined.
There certainly have not been millions of posts let alone threads?
I would guess that the majority of D600 users have been"lucky" about oil and dust.
Why would most of them bother to post?
For most of the ones who have gotten dust (usually thru a lens change), a simple cleaning fixed their problem and they have not bothered to post either.


Roger, can you quote properly? It's hurting my eyes figuring out which bits are your text.

And regarding the dustspot issue: literally users the entire world over are mass-complaining about this problem. I've browsed:

- dpreview
- fredmiranda
- nikonians
- dslr-forum.de
- photocamel
- planet nikon
- nikonfotografie

and other nikon-related fora in german & english. I've also browsed user reviews for the D600 on amazon.de, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com. The dominent issue is D600 dust. All feedback as to this problem has been measured and fair.

The D600 does indeed have REAL quality problems relating to the internal dispersal of debris on to the sensor after every mirror slap. Granted, not every D600 appears to be affected, but a significantly large amount are. Lensrentals, DPR's review and that well-known timelapse video have also confirmed it. MediaMarkt have confirmed it to me while I was in-store.

Denying this problem is just weird. What are your reasons for it?



Jun Zhou
Registered: Mar 06, 2007
Total Posts: 809
Country: United States

dholl wrote:
Roger, can you quote properly? It's hurting my eyes figuring out which bits are your text.
And regarding the dustspot issue: literally users the entire world over are mass-complaining about this problem. I've browsed:
- dpreview
- fredmiranda
- nikonians
- dslr-forum.de
- photocamel
- planet nikon
- nikonfotografie
and other nikon-related fora in german & english. I've also browsed user reviews for the D600 on amazon.de, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com. The dominent issue is D600 dust. All feedback as to this problem has been measured and fair.
The D600 does indeed have REAL quality problems relating to the internal dispersal of debris on to the sensor after every mirror slap. Granted, not every D600 appears to be affected, but a significantly large amount are. Lensrentals, DPR's review and that well-known timelapse video have also confirmed it. MediaMarkt have confirmed it to me while I was in-store.

Denying this problem is just weird. What are your reasons for it?


Agree, I also add China to your list. all my friends bought D600 in China have this problem. the "lucky" thing is Nikon service center offers free clean service in my hometown.



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

dholl wrote:
- the infamous dust/oil issue. Best demonstrated by this timelapse video and confirmed by Lens Rentals, DPR's review and literally hundreds of documented user experiences.



Here is a reminder, for anyone who may have missed my first post in this thread.



Jun Zhou
Registered: Mar 06, 2007
Total Posts: 809
Country: United States

one disadvantage of D600, IMO, you can not change aperture when you are recording movie. I upgrad from D700 to D600 and I have no problem on it, and I can save RAWs and Jpgs to 2 different SD cards.



thedruid
Registered: Dec 01, 2004
Total Posts: 1453
Country: United States

Don't forget to buy a lot of swabs and cleaning fluid for the D600 sensor, you are going to need them



dholl
Registered: May 04, 2008
Total Posts: 75
Country: Germany

Jun Zhou wrote:
one disadvantage of D600, IMO, you can not change aperture when you are recording movie.


Yeah, it's a definite flaw. But I believe it's firmware-fixable, so hopefully Nikon will come good on this.

I will test if my non-G AF lenses work on video, as they have manual aperture rings. I think somebody wrote earlier in this thread that we have to ensure a certain option is activated in the custom settings which allows for manual aperture changes.



lxdesign
Registered: Jan 04, 2004
Total Posts: 5850
Country: Canada

For what its worth.... I tried the D600, and I just couldn't get into it. The grip feels weird, and it lacks some features that I have on my D800. I wasn't a fan. I am even less a fan of Canon, but thats because I don't use them.



Jun Zhou
Registered: Mar 06, 2007
Total Posts: 809
Country: United States

lxdesign wrote:
For what its worth.... I tried the D600, and I just couldn't get into it. The grip feels weird, and it lacks some features that I have on my D800. I wasn't a fan. I am even less a fan of Canon, but thats because I don't use them.


yea, D600 is small, thats why the plastic grip feels weird, so you get what you pay for. If I have extra $1000 or so, I would love to get D800E.



1       2      
3
       4       5       end