/forum/topic/1174681/2

1       2      
       4       end

CarlG
Total Posts: 6374

perfect in every way!

thw2
Total Posts: 2895

Very lovely. I've seen similar shot elsewhere, but your colors are outstanding!

jsuro
Total Posts: 7372

Legendary image of a classic place. You're are handling the negative film conversions extremely well. One of your best!

Jose

Ps. Did you keep notes on your metering for this image? I'd be very interested in how much range you got out of Ektar.

Ben Horne
Total Posts: 11793

jsuro wrote:
Legendary image of a classic place. You're are handling the negative film conversions extremely well. One of your best!

Jose

Ps. Did you keep notes on your metering for this image? I'd be very interested in how much range you got out of Ektar.

While scanning color neg, I set the levels independently for each channel rather than using any profiles. I've done all my color neg scanning with the default Epson software. It takes a bit of fiddling, but I do like the tonality much better than slide film. I shot this same scene on slide film, and the shadows in the foreground got a bit too dark, but it would still be workable.

There wasn't much tonal range for this shot. With exception of the extreme shadows deep within the cascade, everything was well within range of even slide film. A cliff behind me and to the left was illuminated by direct light, and created some wonderful reflected light. I believe I used the sandy bank with the shrubs as my neutral tone for spot metering. The leaves on the tree where somewhere around +1, and I know the deepest shadows in the foreground falls was around -4. I have tonality within those shadows if I wish to show it -- they're not entirely black.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17909

Congratulations for making Featured Thread!
http://www.fredmiranda.com
http://www.facebook.com/fredmirandacom

uintaangler
Total Posts: 2477

Ben, your efforts were rewarded in the end.
Great shot.

Bob

forestmage
Total Posts: 986

Such a lovely image Ben.

KirkB
Total Posts: 10877

Congratulations on a beautiful image... I love your composition and the color and detail are amazing.
Excellent work.

Kirk

WilliamFinley
Total Posts: 2541

Nice composition, color, & shutter speed...Love it!

Bill

BaldurT
Total Posts: 2658

Beautiful image Ben. Thanks for sharing the Youtube link as well.

MysticPix43
Total Posts: 106

This is an absloutely lovely photo, well worth your pushing the limits. It shows that there is nothing like large format. And Kodak Ektar 100 is a wonderful film--very fine grained for outstanding rendering of detail. It used to be my standard for color when I was shooting Medium Format.

Ben Horne
Total Posts: 11793

Fred Miranda wrote:
Congratulations for making Featured Thread!
http://www.fredmiranda.com
http://www.facebook.com/fredmirandacom

Sweet, thanks Fred!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3551

This is amazing Ben

ScaryFox
Total Posts: 25284

That is pure magic!!

hdfxr3
Total Posts: 684

Great photograph! It would be great to see shot done with the best of digital either Nikon or canon of same scene shot at nearly same time. I guess a scanned neg is partially digital anyway, kinda taking best of both worlds.

pete8888
Total Posts: 95

Brilliant!

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3533

Film so excites still, what a journey and reward...great image Ben
There is a delicate, fine look to film and your composition and exposure brings that out beautifully.
Carrying LF gear around must be rough, can't imagine the effort.
Well captured Sir...
Jerry

campyone
Total Posts: 451

Gorgeous photograph.

Which 8x10? Hope it wasn't one of those old Calumet 18 pound green monsters. : - )

dwa652
Total Posts: 1173

Ben Horne wrote:
Dan Bellyk wrote:
Beautiful Ben and well worth all the effort you put into the trip, watched the video and looked through your art and it's very very nice. Curious how you got into the LF?

Dan

Dan,

I switched to LF back in late 2008 because I just wasn't satisfied with the image quality from digital. I felt that if I was spending all this time to go on photo trips, I might as well shoot it on film since it's not that much more difficult, and now my images won't be reliant on the latest technology. After working with LF for 4 years now, I've learned that it's more than just the quality --- these cameras require a different way of working that has made me much more disciplined, and has allowed me to get shots that I wouldn't have had the patience for in the past. I have a Nikon D800 now as well which is awesome to work with on those days that aren't well suited for LF, but the 8x10 will be my primary camera until I can no longer carry it, or no longer get film for it.

Ben

Ben,

What do you use to scan your images?

Thanks,
Don

chez
Total Posts: 8039

Ben, I always look forward to your posts. This image does not disappoint. Excellent in everyday. Love to see this in print somewhere around 60".

1       2      
       4       end