EXIF data requirement for weekly assignments
/forum/topic/1174388/0

jrs5fg
Total Posts: 109

This is a real pain, because I often somehow lose the EXIF data in processing my photos. Can't I just give my settings manually?

mitesh
Total Posts: 4029

I think it may have to do with more than just your camera settings. The contest rules require the photo to be taken during that particular week, and the embedded EXIF date provides a generally reliable way to ensure that requirement was met before allowing upload and entry.

EB-1
Total Posts: 22909

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I wonder what the odds are that a person just happens to be photographing the appropriate subject during that week.

EBH

normsmith
Total Posts: 4038

EB-1 wrote:
Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I wonder what the odds are that a person just happens to be photographing the appropriate subject during that week.

EBH

Probably near 100% if they read the rules

15Bit
Total Posts: 3884

It is easy to write out the EXIF yourself manually if you like. The WA relies on honesty in reality.

jrs5fg

I wrote it out but it still doesn't work. Actually my EXIF data also contained the correct date in which the photo was taken, just stripped of camera settings for some reason.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18015

15Bit wrote:
It is easy to write out the EXIF yourself manually if you like. The WA relies on honesty in reality.

It's true that we can't prevent someone from editing the EXIF. I would not say easy but it's definitely possible.

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18015

jrs5fg wrote:
I wrote it out but it still doesn't work. Actually my EXIF data also contained the correct date in which the photo was taken, just stripped of camera settings for some reason.

If you are using Photoshop, make sure to save your image using "Save as..." instead of "Save for Web...".
Best,
Fred

jrs5fg

I'm using Lightroom :S