EXIF data requirement for weekly assignments
/forum/topic/1174388/0



jrs5fg
Registered: Jul 16, 2012
Total Posts: 109
Country: United States

This is a real pain, because I often somehow lose the EXIF data in processing my photos. Can't I just give my settings manually?



mitesh
Registered: Jun 28, 2005
Total Posts: 4029
Country: United States

I think it may have to do with more than just your camera settings. The contest rules require the photo to be taken during that particular week, and the embedded EXIF date provides a generally reliable way to ensure that requirement was met before allowing upload and entry.



EB-1
Registered: Jan 09, 2003
Total Posts: 22909
Country: United States

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I wonder what the odds are that a person just happens to be photographing the appropriate subject during that week.

EBH



normsmith
Registered: Aug 21, 2003
Total Posts: 4038
Country: United States

EB-1 wrote:
Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I wonder what the odds are that a person just happens to be photographing the appropriate subject during that week.

EBH


Probably near 100% if they read the rules



15Bit
Registered: Jan 27, 2008
Total Posts: 3884
Country: Norway

It is easy to write out the EXIF yourself manually if you like. The WA relies on honesty in reality.



jrs5fg
Registered: Jul 16, 2012
Total Posts: 109
Country: United States

I wrote it out but it still doesn't work. Actually my EXIF data also contained the correct date in which the photo was taken, just stripped of camera settings for some reason.



Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 18015
Country: United States

15Bit wrote:
It is easy to write out the EXIF yourself manually if you like. The WA relies on honesty in reality.


It's true that we can't prevent someone from editing the EXIF. I would not say easy but it's definitely possible.



Fred Miranda
Registered: Dec 31, 2001
Total Posts: 18015
Country: United States

jrs5fg wrote:
I wrote it out but it still doesn't work. Actually my EXIF data also contained the correct date in which the photo was taken, just stripped of camera settings for some reason.


If you are using Photoshop, make sure to save your image using "Save as..." instead of "Save for Web...".
Best,
Fred



jrs5fg
Registered: Jul 16, 2012
Total Posts: 109
Country: United States

I'm using Lightroom :S