DxOMark rates the new Canon EOS 6D
/forum/topic/1173507/0

2       3       4       end

snapsy
Total Posts: 4403

SNR performance nearly identical to 5DM3, High ISO DR materially better than 5DM3 (1/2 stop) and just a bit shy of the 1DX

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-The-best-value-for-money-in-the-EOS-range

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6131

Looks like a good landscape and starscape camera.

skibum5
Total Posts: 15997

Wow they seem to have actually broken the 5D3 record for most color-blind ever! Much more color-blind than the D600 or 5D2 never mind 1Ds3 or some older cameras. Man they are taking the CFA color blindness awfully far....

Not sure what the real world difference is, but at some point in time it has to start showing up.

skibum5

snapsy wrote:
SNR performance nearly identical to 5DM3, High ISO DR materially better than 5DM3 (1/2 stop) and just a bit shy of the 1DX

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-The-best-value-for-money-in-the-EOS-range

But note that they actually made the CFA array even MORE color-blind than on the 5D3 which had already set the all-time record for color-blindness. Much more color-blind than a 5D2 which itself hadn't had the top scores for that in it's day. The 1DX does the SNR without being so color-blind (although the 1DX doesn't score all that great in that regard itself).

Not sure what the real world impact is but at some point it has to eventually start showing more than just worse chroma noise.

skibum5

DR is about the best Canon has ever done though, if not by much (but nothing like Exmor or even non-Exmor 1D4, not that I expected them to do it in the 6D).

snapsy
Total Posts: 4403

skibum5 wrote:
But note that they actually made the CFA array even MORE color-blind than on the 5D3 which had already set the all-time record for color-blindness. Much more color-blind than a 5D2 which itself hadn't had the top scores for that in it's day. The 1DX does the SNR without being so color-blind (although the 1DX doesn't score all that great in that regard itself).

Not sure what the real world impact is but at some point it has to eventually start showing more than just worse chroma noise.

Yeah, I saw the SMI (75 vs 69 for D50 illuminant) but it doesn't make sense to me when you compare that to the white balance scales and the channel coefficient tables between the two cameras, which are very close and are supposed to represent the mathematical inverse of SMI. To see what I mean, compare the D2x to any camera to see how much smaller its white balance scales/coefficients are compared to cameras with a lesser SMI.

chez
Total Posts: 7793

So basically tweaked 5D sensor technology?

Geoff D F
Total Posts: 58

chez wrote:

That is what I would expect. Canon is not going to put in technology that easily beats their flagship cameras in their consumer model.

sdeutscher
Total Posts: 145

Geoff D F wrote:
chez wrote:

That is what I would expect. Canon is not going to put in technology that easily beats their flagship cameras in their consumer model.

Well, they kinda did that with the 5Dmk2 for example

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5414

skibum5 wrote:

they actually made the CFA array even MORE color-blind than on the 5D3

What do you mean by "color-blind"? Inaccurate colors? De-saturated colors?

ben egbert
Total Posts: 6131

D. Diggler wrote:
skibum5 wrote:

they actually made the CFA array even MORE color-blind than on the 5D3

What do you mean by "color-blind"? Inaccurate colors? De-saturated colors?

My question too.

StillFingerz
Total Posts: 3208

Given the lateness of the 7D upgrade, perhaps the 6D is the last of the .25 fab process and subsequent bodies will be based on the new .18 fab...only time will tell, I'm thinkin 2014 might be an interesting year, maybe even an updated M with a viewfinder, faster AF

thw2
Total Posts: 2813

StillFingerz wrote:
Given the lateness of the 7D upgrade, perhaps the 6D is the last of the .25 fab process and subsequent bodies will be based on the new .18 fab...only time will tell, I'm thinkin 2014 might be an interesting year, maybe even an updated M with a viewfinder, faster AF

I thought the updated EOS-M with viewfinder is expected next year, 2013?

eskimochaos
Total Posts: 851

Another poor Canon sensor.

PeaktoPeek
Total Posts: 1962

eskimochaos wrote:
Another poor Canon sensor.

Good in comparison to Canon's current offerings, but not enough to make me regret switching. For a Canon shooter this will be a pretty darn good camera.
Paul

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17676

DxOMark rates the new Canon EOS 6D
DxOMark just posted its Canon EOS 6D sensor measurements. According to their findings, the new 6D sensor has similar dynamic range when compared to the Canon 1Ds Mark III and scored higher in most tests when compared to the Canon 5D Mark II and III.

"The EOS 6D offers a well-balanced performance across all three testing metrics, doing enough to put it into 10th place overall on the sensor rankings. Given the price, this does offer very good value for money, matched only by the Nikon D600. It suggests that this new market segment could be a real hotbed of key models for the major manufacturers and is therefore one to watch carefully"

Read full measurements

The Canon EOS 6D is now in stock:

B&H Photo | Amazon.com | Adorama

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9553

The differences sure seem minor although I certainly wouldn't characterize this performance as poor, just not cutting edge for 2012. I wonder if the slight improvements in 6D DR and high ISO are more related to the CMOS having slightly larger [corrected!] pixels (fewer MP) rather than real advances in processing and sensor design?

D. Diggler
Total Posts: 5414

Gochugogi wrote:

I wonder if the slight improvements in 6D DR and high ISO are more related to the CMOS having slightly smaller pixels (fewer MP) rather than real advances in processing and sensor design?

That's what I'm thinking.

curious80
Total Posts: 1245

With DxoMark it is much more informative to look at detailed graphs rather than the scores. Here is 6D against D800 and D3s:

The SNR is pretty much identical and the differences are primarily in dynamic range. 6D has basically joined D3s as the high-ISO king and edges above the D800 at high ISO. At low ISOs of 100-400 the Sony sensor keeps its dynamic range advantage. Though at a DR of just over 12 EV at low ISOs, 6D is still excellent. I am a fan of Sony sensors with their great low ISO DR, but I don't know how many of those who are complaining about this sensor actually make use of 13 or 14 EV DR in their pictures. My Sony NEX-5N with 12 EV of DR already has so much room to pull out shadows that unless I am careful with my processing I can easily get my photos to start looking like HDRs. With 12 EV you are already getting into fairly deep shadows and the 13th and 14th stops are really really deep shadows - the range which most people will turn into black anyway. In reality I suspect that for most users the high ISO advantage has more practical value than the extra 2 stops of ultra-deep shadows.

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

StillFingerz wrote:

Canon uses a much larger fab process than .25, hoping that when they use the new rumored technology it is backlit as well as smaller.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/technologyblog/2012/10/24/full-frame-dslr-cameras-canon-stays-the-course/

2       3       4       end