Strap with quick-release?
/forum/topic/1173207/1

end

andyz
Total Posts: 543

Another vote for UpStrap. You can disconnect the strap leaving two parts still on the camera, and connect a wrist strap if desired and have that on your wrist, or tripod if you're carrying your camera on the tripod. I like things which do double duty. It also doesn't interfere with any quick releases attached yo the body.

DaveD
Total Posts: 102

You might want to check out https://peakdesignltd.com/. I utilize the Clip and should receive the Leash and Cuff next week. They have a couple videos on their website or on kickstarter.

Dave

uscmatt99
Total Posts: 330

I have the Leash and Cuff on the way as well, look forward to comparing it with my BR. The BR is quite comfortable and I use it with anything bigger than my mirrorless camera (which I use with the Peak Capture). But the shoulder pad never stays put and the underarm attachment is a bandaid solution. I've recently moved to connecting the strap to a small AS clamp, as I keep an L-bracket in place most of the time. It's very convenient, but a bulky and heavier solution. Not camera bag friendly either. Looking forward to putting the Peak solution to work for awhile.

jeff5544
Total Posts: 2

Upstrap. I like to wear it over my shoulder & across my chest. Just
my preference.

Paul Mo
Total Posts: 2993

maneatingshark wrote:
Thanks all. I will take a look at the Op-tech, does it work well on the shoulder?

I have an Optech Classic and it's okay on the shoulder - it's the only way I use mine. I have two complaints about the Optech. Firstly, the neoprene is pretty rigid/bulky so stuffing it into a holster isn't easy; it's not very pliable. And secondly the strap (the nylon part) gets twisted too easily.

pingflood
Total Posts: 1574

Anybody using a Domke Gripper on SLR setups? I have the 1" version for my Leica and OM-D and it is superb (quick release, rubber on the inside of strap so it does not slide, solid and good looking). There is a 1.5" version that I would imagine would work for an SLR + normal-ish lens though I do not know what the weight rating is...

ACNYPhoto
Total Posts: 510

I've standardized to the Optech straps, I even have one on my 400 2.8 so I can remove it while it's on a monopod/tripod and it doesn't flap around while in use.

The main thing I like that I did is install the extensions on my backpacks and belt/shoulder strap setups. When I have either on I don't use an actual neckstrap I connect the camera to the straps on the backpack. I'm comfortable enough with the connection that I will regularly connect a camera to each strap and let them dangle at my side.

The thing is, Optech doesn't really offer the straps with the shortie style clips so you have to buy the strap with the long loops and the extensions plus the clips, didn't bother me since I found uses for each of the pieces.

Buy one of these, take the straps that come with the strap and put them on the D rings on your backpacks shoulder harness. http://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html

Then buy this and put on your camera http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/uni-loop.html

These then replace the 2 straps that came with the neck strap and put on your backpack http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/extensions-1041.html

robstein
Total Posts: 1221

DaveD wrote:
You might want to check out https://peakdesignltd.com/. I utilize the Clip and should receive the Leash and Cuff next week. They have a couple videos on their website or on kickstarter.

Dave

Yeah, I grabbed that one as well.... and far from happy... The round things just do NOT stay in the clip on the hand strap and they are way too loose on the neck strap - they are just too easy to unattach with a slight tug in the wrong direction.... too bad because it looked like a great idea. I do like the belt clip (capture) for a small body camera - although the arca tripod thing is low tech and should be finished much better (right now I have an RRS plate, so I know that's not totally fair) and much lower profile then the spider.

uscmatt99
Total Posts: 330

robstein wrote:
DaveD wrote:

Dave

Yeah, I grabbed that one as well.... and far from happy... The round things just do NOT stay in the clip on the hand strap and they are way too loose on the neck strap - they are just too easy to unattach with a slight tug in the wrong direction.... too bad because it looked like a great idea. I do like the belt clip (capture) for a small body camera - although the arca tripod thing is low tech and should be finished much better (right now I have an RRS plate, so I know that's not totally fair) and much lower profile then the spider.

I wonder if there is some sample variation in the tension of the spring-loaded part of the straps. I got my Leash and Cuff just before Christmas, and I'm pretty happy with the Leash so far. Haven't used the Cuff much. I use mine cross-body like my R-strap. I'd personally never use it as a leash with the Capture. It's actually a bit of a challenge for me to disengage the connectors from the strap, and I couldn't pull it out without depressing the spring part if I tried.

Things I like....
The connectors allow much more variation for attachment. I can leave 2 on a plate, and one in each lug so that it's easy to attach the strap even if I've forgotten the plate.
I can choose to use the wrist-strap as well and it takes seconds to swap.
Much much much less bulk than the R-strap in the bag. Significantly less weight. Material is strong but floppy and gets out of the way when shooting.
Designed to slide when I move the camera. The R-strap shoulder pad never stays in place, and I hate having to attach the armpit fix.

Things I dislike....
The strap is pretty narrow. Comfortable with a D600 and sub-100mm primes or small zooms. Wouldn't want to use the 70-200/2.8 on a D4. Actually, not sure if I'd want to use it for a full day even with a small DSLR setup.
Connector straps are thick and can be tough to install on some smaller cameras (like my Ricoh GXR).

johnip
Total Posts: 977

I've been trying to dream up a heavy duty quick-release strap since I got my tripod and finally sat down and got it done thanks to this thread. I bought those clips JohnJ80 used, and a few other things, and made my own.

The loop through the lug is a piece of paracord knotted at both ends and pulled through. I bought the clips, split rings, and paracord from LightHound.com who had them cheaper than the site linked earlier. Also that berkley point site had a $30 minimum order...

I might try these loops jcolwell made. He also used some swivels on his that might be a good idea too.
How to make the loops
Strap showing swivels

end