Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S
/forum/topic/1171447/3

1       2       3      
       5              16       17       end

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9247

woos wrote:
Cool, checked out his stuff. I like some of his black and white stuff. Color stuff doesn't interest me at all, but that's fine, if he makes good money off of it who cares what I think that's for sure.

When I look at an ansel photograph though, it resonates with me, that's for sure--completely different--

Diado's stuff to me just looks like snapshots, but to someone else might be completely different.

Ditto

Exdsc wrote:
This video shows Diado Moriyama shooting with a P&S, which is a Nikon S9100 that only shoots jpg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWAs3V_lkg

It makes one feel really silly to think how much obsession there is for gear and yet here is one of the best happily shooting with a jpg-only zoom P&S.

telyt wrote:
Having zero interest in this style of photography I fail to see why the camera he uses should in any way influence my own equipment and workflow choices.

And ditto!

Or really even be relevant in his own work...

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5745

I hate to even chime in, but it kind of reminds me of how a nerdy musician, like myself, might view someone like Bob Dylan. I don't find him particularly good at singing, playing instruments, and maybe even arranging songs, but he was there at the right place and right time doing his thing, and many people love his work. I'd consider his work important and relevant, whether or not I love listening to it very often, personally.

Eggleston is also a pretty divisive figure in photography, but it's hard to emphasize how it important it was that he ushered in the idea that color photography could be considered fine art, by showing the first color photography exhibit at MOMA in the 70s...plus, it didn't hurt that he was a pretty surly and interesting character, which can certainly make a difference.

Exdsc
Total Posts: 200

woos wrote:
When I look at an ansel photograph though, it resonates with me, that's for sure--completely different--maybe because I just love landscapes, and love the american west, and I think damn someday I hope to capture a scene 1/100th as good as he was able too, and I'd be satisfied with that, lol. Diado's stuff to me just looks like snapshots, but to someone else might be completely different.

I'm a huge fan of Ansel Adams, in fact I'd much rather shoot Ansel Adams style stuff, but I don't have access to such scenery as he did.

I'm a huge fan of all "real photographers".

cogitech
Total Posts: 11322

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

RustyBug
Total Posts: 11962

Bifurcator wrote:

+1 ... except maybe for the DOF / reduced concern @ focus.

douglasf13

cogitech wrote:

Shoot, I hope it wan't because of my post. I hate these "what is art?" threads.

RustyBug
Total Posts: 11962

Exdsc wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Ansel Adams, in fact I'd much rather shoot Ansel Adams style stuff, but I don't have access to such scenery as he did.

No trees, leaves, rivers, streams, mountains, rocks, towns, people, churches, roads or snow in Canada, eh?

Bifurcator

Bifurcator wrote:

RustyBug wrote:

Yeah, that's true... If you are going to attempt "empty mind" photography a P&S does kinda fit the description.

S Dilworth
Total Posts: 484

douglasf13 wrote:
Eggleston is also a pretty divisive figure in photography, but it's hard to emphasize how it important it was that he ushered in the idea that color photography could be considered fine art, by showing the first color photography exhibit at MOMA in the 70s

Poor Ernst Haas. Everyone forgets about him.

Bifurcator

Exdsc wrote:

RustyBug wrote:
No trees, leaves, rivers, streams, mountains, rocks, towns, people, churches, roads or snow in Canada, eh?

EDIT:
Crap! Now I can't stop laughing!

douglasf13

S Dilworth wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
Eggleston is also a pretty divisive figure in photography, but it's hard to emphasize how it important it was that he ushered in the idea that color photography could be considered fine art, by showing the first color photography exhibit at MOMA in the 70s

Oh man, I don't think anyone forgets Ernst Haas, although I did forget that he had a color MOMA exhibit in the 60s. For whatever reason, it took another decade for Eggleston and a few other guys to get color into the contemporary art mainstream, but Haas was a big deal.

Pandemic
Total Posts: 366

BREAKING NEWS - Daido was shooting with a Ricoh GR film P&S in the 90's.

carstenw
Total Posts: 14905

Exdsc wrote:
I'm a huge fan of all "real photographers".

And so you have just indirectly said that all photographers you don't like are not real photographers.

carstenw

cogitech wrote:

Just spit it out and crack open another beer

carstenw

RustyBug wrote:
Exdsc wrote:

I think he probably means: no Yellowstone or Yosemite in Canada. Of course, there are other, similarly spectacular parks, especially around where Paul lives. But there is of course no such terrain in southern Ontario, for example. There you have to find other vistas. Manitoba is even worse.

carstenw

Bifurcator wrote:
Bifurcator wrote:

RustyBug wrote:

Yeah, that's true... If you are going to attempt "empty mind" photography a P&S does kinda fit the description.

I don't know, a shotgun is way better for truly empty mind.

carstenw

S Dilworth wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

Hehe. Haas is awesome.

LightShow
Total Posts: 4792

I just wish I had some popcorn....

A funny thing about an artist, their art and people's opinion about their art,
The artist will create something to express a thought/feeling/etc...
People will then comment on it, but their opinions don't really matter because it is art,
it's the fact you formed an opinion that matters.

S Dilworth
Total Posts: 484

douglasf13 wrote:
Oh man, I don't think anyone forgets Ernst Haas, although I did forget that he had a color MOMA exhibit in the 60s.

Sure, I wasnít being serious. But does anyone know why Eggleston is so often credited with that first show of colour photography at MoMA? Was it just a question of scale, or was it advertised as the first, or what? Itís intriguing!

Sidetrack: William Eggleston in the Real World is unmissable for anyone who likes Eggleston or just photography. You can get the DVD on eBay, but no matter what the seller says, itís only available as a Region 1 disc (which is difficult to play in Europe).

cogitech
Total Posts: 11322

carstenw wrote:
Bifurcator wrote:
Bifurcator wrote:

RustyBug wrote:

I don't know, a shotgun is way better for truly empty mind.

The analogy of P&S = shotgun is very fitting, as a shotgun is truly "point and shoot" (you do not "aim" a shotgun).

However, I think your statement comes dangerously close to inferring that shotgun users are empty-minded. Many of them are, to be sure, but certainly not all.

The same is true with P&S cameras. Many empty-minded shooters, but not all. Oddly enough, I do not think there are many "intentionally empty-minded" shotgunners. In that case it seems to be more of a genetic thing.

1       2       3      
       5              16       17       end