Get to Yosemite NOW!!
/forum/topic/1171007/2

1       2      
       end

ShutteredMe
Total Posts: 2980

phil hawkins wrote:
Bring everything. It all works, from 15mm to 300mm. Give yourself the latitude to capture whatever presents itself.

I always tell my workshop students "Don't ask me what lens to use; trust your intuition and open your EYES and MIND to the scene in front of you and decide how YOU want it composed. I can make suggestions, but ultimately, it's YOUR feelings about the scene that are the most important thing."

Thank you Phil.

-Quang

ShutteredMe
Total Posts: 2980

gdanmitchell wrote:
If I didn't mention it before, you might consider picking up a copy of my friend Michael Frye's "Photographer's Guide to Yosemite." They had copies in the Ansel Adams Gallery when I was there yesterday. (Plus, stopping at the gallery is worth it for other reasons. ;-) There is also an iPhone app version of the text.

As far as lenses go, that is really a personal thing that depends a lot on what subjects you like and how you like to photograph them. In a very general sense you could do fine (assuming you shoot full frame) with something like an ultrawide (like a 17-40), a mid-range zoom (like 24-70 or 24-105) and a telephoto zoom (like a 70-200) or some equivalent set of lenses for your camera. When I go, I like to be able to cover 17mm-400mm, but that doesn't mean that you should, too.

One small hint: At this time of year, especially when there is some snow on the ground, you have a bit better chance of seeing things like coyotes and bobcats in the Valley, so keep an eye out! Early morning and then evening fog in the meadows often forms in the winter and can be a wonderful subject, too.

Have a great visit!

Dan

Thanks again Dan. I'll be sure to stop by the gallery. I will bring my D800e along with the 14-24, 28, 50, 70-200, and the 300mm with me. Any wildlife sighting would be a bonus!

-Quang

harvey steeves
Total Posts: 195

the images of Yosemite are beautiful but personally, I kind of like my images to be a little quirkier so Phil, if you would like to run down the road naked, let me know which day ....

nikon65
Total Posts: 541

I'll be there Friday.

gdanmitchell
Total Posts: 9196

boingyman wrote:
LA_Sportsman wrote:
Walked out to the middle of Tenaya Lake last year since Tioga road was still open in Dec/Jan. Amazing.

If the lake freezes again this year I may be forced to make that trip! I heard it was insane, especially all the cracks.

That lake freezes every winter, but Tioga Pass Road to Tenaya Lake is normally closed for the season by winter snows... as it is this year. It is not unusual to find that there is still some ice left when the road reopens in the spring.

DABNIK wrote:
My 1st trip to Yosemite was 2 years ago & I only had 2.5 days. The first few hours I had to keep picking my chin up off of the ground ! I'm back there in late August this year for a whole 7 days of just looking and photographing. That week is on my "bucket list".
Phil - thanks for posting those beautiful shots of one of my fav places

This reminds me of an old Yosemite tall tale. I'll paraphrase: One day a person visiting the Valley for the first time walked up to ranger and said. "I only have one day in the Valley. What should I do?" The range supposedly replied, "Find a rock. Sit down and weep."

Dan

1       2      
       end