Get to Yosemite NOW!!
/forum/topic/1171007/1

1      
2
       3       end

aFeinberg
Registered: Mar 15, 2006
Total Posts: 4136
Country: United States

That 3rd one is sick. And i've seen that location before...now I have to find it myself Nice work

aF



cheekygeek
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 58
Country: United States

Hope to get there one day. Amazing to know that any time of year can be uncrowded. Your images are spectacular!



Chris Anthony
Registered: Apr 23, 2005
Total Posts: 378
Country: United States

Awesome images! I was there on black Friday and had the exact opposite effect, the snow had already melted and there seemed to be a million people there... Work has been real slow so can't afford the gas for another day trip but hopefully soon I can get up there with some snow and not many people



boingyman
Registered: Jun 29, 2012
Total Posts: 749
Country: United States

I so want to go to Yosemite again, especially with some wild weather. If Tenaya Lake freezes this year with the cracks I'm going to try my best to get there.



phil hawkins
Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Total Posts: 2488
Country: United States

boingyman wrote:
I so want to go to Yosemite again, especially with some wild weather. If Tenaya Lake freezes this year with the cracks I'm going to try my best to get there.


Hit it on opening day for Tioga Road or as close as possible. Usually none of the high-country lakes are melted out that soon, and ice still covers most of the lakes.



Ed Swift
Registered: Jul 03, 2009
Total Posts: 1554
Country: United Kingdom

All outstanding. 3 is my favourite though.



LA_Sportsman
Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Total Posts: 403
Country: United States

Walked out to the middle of Tenaya Lake last year since Tioga road was still open in Dec/Jan. Amazing.



WilliamFinley
Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Total Posts: 2517
Country: United States

Some outstanding work here! Keep it coming.

Bill



James McQueen
Registered: Nov 10, 2003
Total Posts: 1030
Country: United States

Phil you are breaking my heart with these awesome images. I use to get to Modesto, CA often taking care of the companys computers and alway though I would have time to get over to Yosemite .......... never was able to get time as the company jet was always leaving early or the schedule changed. Now I'm retired with no free ticket so I'll never get to make it. Anyway I'll just enjoy your excellent images.

- Jim



ShutteredMe
Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Total Posts: 2931
Country: United States

Fantastic pictures Phil.
I am heading to Yosemite this weekend. Is anyone gonna be there? Not knowing what the heck I'm doing and I don't want to be in the park by myself...

-Quang



Mashuto
Registered: Dec 30, 2012
Total Posts: 69
Country: United States

Great pictures. And believe me, if Yosemite was easily accessible, I would be there all the time. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the country...



gdanmitchell
Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Total Posts: 8424
Country: United States

You certainly won't be there by yourself, Quang - though you also won't encounter the frequent huge crowds that you see at other times of the year. (I'll be there today, as it turns out...)

If this is your first visit, a few quick thoughts about photography and other things:

1. The shooting hours start later and end earlier in the winter with the shorter daylight hours. Because the Valley is oriented in a roughly east-west direction with tall mountains to the east, certain places tend to get better light at somewhat specific times of day. The south side of the Valley can get little (or in a few cases, no!) sun at this time of year, while the north side tends to be warmer and often better lit. Shooting dawn can be a bit tricky here, as you don't easily get wide open, unobstructed views to the east.

2. It will be cold. If you start out very early in the morning, expect it to be in the twenties. It may not get much above 40 all day, if that, though there are (colder and warmer) variations depending upon where in the Valley you go. The current weather forecast, which can change, suggests that you probably will have relatively clear weather.

3. For first-time Yosemite shooter, starting out by photographing a few icons is a fine thing. A few that could easily be on your list include "Tunnel View" (from the Wawona Tunnel overlook) in the evening, Sentinel Bridge with its view of Half Dome, Awhahnee Meadows between the park housing near Yosemite Village and the Ahwahnee (often with nice low fog in the mornings), "Gates of the Valley" (known by other names as well) along the Merced River along Northside drive as you head west toward the park exits. There are tons of other opportunities too numerous to name, so wander about a bit and enjoy.

Dan



Lisa_Holloway
Registered: Feb 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1756
Country: United States

Gorgeous!! I was in Yosemite once years ago (long before I got into photography) and have really wanted to go back. Might have to make another road trip.



ShutteredMe
Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Total Posts: 2931
Country: United States

gdanmitchell wrote:
You certainly won't be there by yourself, Quang - though you also won't encounter the frequent huge crowds that you see at other times of the year. (I'll be there today, as it turns out...)

If this is your first visit, a few quick thoughts about photography and other things:

1. The shooting hours start later and end earlier in the winter with the shorter daylight hours. Because the Valley is oriented in a roughly east-west direction with tall mountains to the east, certain places tend to get better light at somewhat specific times of day. The south side of the Valley can get little (or in a few cases, no!) sun at this time of year, while the north side tends to be warmer and often better lit. Shooting dawn can be a bit tricky here, as you don't easily get wide open, unobstructed views to the east.

2. It will be cold. If you start out very early in the morning, expect it to be in the twenties. It may not get much above 40 all day, if that, though there are (colder and warmer) variations depending upon where in the Valley you go. The current weather forecast, which can change, suggests that you probably will have relatively clear weather.

3. For first-time Yosemite shooter, starting out by photographing a few icons is a fine thing. A few that could easily be on your list include "Tunnel View" (from the Wawona Tunnel overlook) in the evening, Sentinel Bridge with its view of Half Dome, Awhahnee Meadows between the park housing near Yosemite Village and the Ahwahnee (often with nice low fog in the mornings), "Gates of the Valley" (known by other names as well) along the Merced River along Northside drive as you head west toward the park exits. There are tons of other opportunities too numerous to name, so wander about a bit and enjoy.

Dan



Dan,

Thank you for the tips. I'll need to get me a map to see where all these locations you mentioned are. I've been to Yosemite before but more for hiking then photography. I hope the weather will be nice with some nice clouds and fog. Any suggestions as far as lens goes?

-Quang



phil hawkins
Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Total Posts: 2488
Country: United States

Bring everything. It all works, from 15mm to 300mm. Give yourself the latitude to capture whatever presents itself.

I always tell my workshop students "Don't ask me what lens to use; trust your intuition and open your EYES and MIND to the scene in front of you and decide how YOU want it composed. I can make suggestions, but ultimately, it's YOUR feelings about the scene that are the most important thing."



boingyman
Registered: Jun 29, 2012
Total Posts: 749
Country: United States

LA_Sportsman wrote:
Walked out to the middle of Tenaya Lake last year since Tioga road was still open in Dec/Jan. Amazing.


If the lake freezes again this year I may be forced to make that trip! I heard it was insane, especially all the cracks.



sozypozy
Registered: Jan 02, 2013
Total Posts: 600
Country: United States

You should savor the moment that you were the only photographer there to take such tremendous pictures. The first one is absolutely gorgeous, love the colors. The picture speaks for itself.



Tom K.
Registered: Mar 21, 2005
Total Posts: 6725
Country: United States

Phil, your work has always knocked my socks off.



gdanmitchell
Registered: Jun 28, 2009
Total Posts: 8424
Country: United States

ShutteredMe wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
You certainly won't be there by yourself, Quang - though you also won't encounter the frequent huge crowds that you see at other times of the year. (I'll be there today, as it turns out...)

If this is your first visit, a few quick thoughts about photography and other things:

1. The shooting hours start later and end earlier in the winter with the shorter daylight hours. Because the Valley is oriented in a roughly east-west direction with tall mountains to the east, certain places tend to get better light at somewhat specific times of day. The south side of the Valley can get little (or in a few cases, no!) sun at this time of year, while the north side tends to be warmer and often better lit. Shooting dawn can be a bit tricky here, as you don't easily get wide open, unobstructed views to the east.

2. It will be cold. If you start out very early in the morning, expect it to be in the twenties. It may not get much above 40 all day, if that, though there are (colder and warmer) variations depending upon where in the Valley you go. The current weather forecast, which can change, suggests that you probably will have relatively clear weather.

3. For first-time Yosemite shooter, starting out by photographing a few icons is a fine thing. A few that could easily be on your list include "Tunnel View" (from the Wawona Tunnel overlook) in the evening, Sentinel Bridge with its view of Half Dome, Awhahnee Meadows between the park housing near Yosemite Village and the Ahwahnee (often with nice low fog in the mornings), "Gates of the Valley" (known by other names as well) along the Merced River along Northside drive as you head west toward the park exits. There are tons of other opportunities too numerous to name, so wander about a bit and enjoy.

Dan



Dan,

Thank you for the tips. I'll need to get me a map to see where all these locations you mentioned are. I've been to Yosemite before but more for hiking then photography. I hope the weather will be nice with some nice clouds and fog. Any suggestions as far as lens goes?

-Quang


If I didn't mention it before, you might consider picking up a copy of my friend Michael Frye's "Photographer's Guide to Yosemite." They had copies in the Ansel Adams Gallery when I was there yesterday. (Plus, stopping at the gallery is worth it for other reasons. ;-) There is also an iPhone app version of the text.

As far as lenses go, that is really a personal thing that depends a lot on what subjects you like and how you like to photograph them. In a very general sense you could do fine (assuming you shoot full frame) with something like an ultrawide (like a 17-40), a mid-range zoom (like 24-70 or 24-105) and a telephoto zoom (like a 70-200) or some equivalent set of lenses for your camera. When I go, I like to be able to cover 17mm-400mm, but that doesn't mean that you should, too.

One small hint: At this time of year, especially when there is some snow on the ground, you have a bit better chance of seeing things like coyotes and bobcats in the Valley, so keep an eye out! Early morning and then evening fog in the meadows often forms in the winter and can be a wonderful subject, too.

Have a great visit!

Dan



DABNIK
Registered: Jun 30, 2009
Total Posts: 526
Country: Canada

My 1st trip to Yosemite was 2 years ago & I only had 2.5 days. The first few hours I had to keep picking my chin up off of the ground ! I'm back there in late August this year for a whole 7 days of just looking and photographing. That week is on my "bucket list".
Phil - thanks for posting those beautiful shots of one of my fav places



1      
2
       3       end