Get to Yosemite NOW!!
/forum/topic/1171007/0

2       3       end

phil hawkins
Total Posts: 2491

(The following is offered as good-natured scolding to the photo community at large, just so the tone of this is not misunderstood.)

So, there I was, last night (Sunday) by myself, not another soul anywhere... setting up my tripod in the middle of the road 'cause there was NO ONE out shooting anywhere in the 3/4 moonlight, mist everywhere just after the storm broke. WHERE were the other photographers? I shot for 3 hours and I could have run down the street naked for an hour and no one would have known (thank God). At the west end of the valley I didn't see one vehicle the whole time I was shooting.

Folks, Landscape Photography 101; you shoot Yosemite after the storms clear. There was tons of light last night with all the mist... it was ridiculous!!

There's more stormy weather predicted for most all this week, so get off your duff and get with it!! The waterfalls look like peak spring flow... RAGING! 10 days ago they were bone dry. THIS is what shooting in Yosemite is all about!

Kee Woo Rhee
Total Posts: 2391

Oh, wonderful. Yosemite to yourself all together! Nice going. Nice pictures! I wish I could fly.

dswiger
Total Posts: 6366

OK, OK, I get it!!
I was there a few weeks ago for a smaller-snow.
Yes, that's how I "plan" my trips.
Unfortunately, until I retire from my day job, I have to minimize the impulse trips

Dan

phil hawkins

dswiger wrote:
OK, OK, I get it!!
I was there a few weeks ago for a smaller-snow.
Yes, that's how I "plan" my trips.
Unfortunately, until I retire from my day job, I have to minimize the impulse trips

Dan

Hi Dan, I know you know the drill but sheesh... I know it was a Sunday night, but still.... SOMEONE could have been out there... :-)

Jeffrey
Total Posts: 9790

Phil, don't get your panties in a bunch about this! Just be glad you were there and experienced the moment. Yos gets this treatment a few times a year every year. Been there for one. It sure is purty.

stanparker
Total Posts: 2539

I wanted to be there, but I was here.

dswiger

Phil,
Just think of it this way.
Yosemite gave you a private showing!.

From my "private showing" almost 5 years ago.
I saw maybe 10 - 20 people all day

Cheers

Dan

phil hawkins

dswiger wrote:
Phil,
Just think of it this way.
Yosemite gave you a private showing!.

From my "private showing" almost 5 years ago.
I saw maybe 10 - 20 people all day

Cheers

Dan

Great shot Dan!! So, you know of what I speak!

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17796

You are making a lot of photographers jealous!
Great shots and thanks for the tips.
Fred

rc12k
Total Posts: 801

I love the mystery in the top half of the second one. I had the same experience a few winters back. Just stopped the car wherever I felt like and didn't disrupt anything.

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

Hay people I agree go now get it out of your system. If you go now you won't feel obliged in February, Horsetail Fall is over rated stay away. No need for 300 of you to jam into the picnic area and stand around while nothing happens. Go now lots of clouds and atmosphere and no people you can't beat it!
Remember Feb. is a really lousy time to go

dswiger

WAYCOOL wrote:
Hay people I agree go now get it out of your system. If you go now you won't feel obliged in February, Horsetail Fall is over rated stay away. No need for 300 of you to jam into the picnic area and stand around while nothing happens. Go now lots of clouds and atmosphere and no people you can't beat it!

I think your trying to get the park to yourself in Feb

Yea, Horsetail has been a bit oversold.
I have gone three times, saw it once. Big crowds, a lot of storytelling

jfeldt
Total Posts: 5

Thanks for the heads-up Phil! I was wanting to go over new years, but I'll try to get up there in the next weekend or two now

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4640

I really wish I could go out there some time

WAYCOOL
Total Posts: 2421

dswiger wrote:
WAYCOOL wrote:

I think your trying to get the park to yourself in Feb

Yea, Horsetail has been a bit oversold.
I have gone three times, saw it once. Big crowds, a lot of storytelling

Not all by myself 2 or 3 of you can come but everybody else stay away, nothing to see there.

Karl Witt
Total Posts: 32822

Phil, thanks for treating me to what I will likely never have the opportunity to witness, your shots and the one Dan posted just continue to remind me how much beauty often goes unseen.
Holy smokes these shots have character in light and emotion, wonderful work and I personally thank 'you' for being there

Best of it to you
Karl

thw2
Total Posts: 2866

Powerful images. Love 'em!

LA_Sportsman
Total Posts: 405

Great photos!

It's been killing me to read about the falls right now. I have duty this week and can't leave the area (military) so no quick trip. I'll still need the weather to cooperate on a weekend but my plan is to head up over the next few weeks if I can catch a storm around the family/work obligations.

This spring, I changed plans to go to Yosemite because of a forecast storm and we just made it in on Friday night before they closed the roads. The next morning I was one of about 5 photographers out in the snow while the valley slept. Unfortunately there were so many incredible shots with 8" of snow on the valley floor that the storm cleared before I'd worked my way to Tunnel View (started in meadow by Curry Village).

The snow melted within an hour of so of the clouds clearing which corresponded to the time most folks rolled out of bed thinking "ooh, isn't it beautiful with scattered snow patches in the shadows!"

Yes, every landscape photographer needs to get to Yosemite once after a storm. If it's a snow storm, I think you pretty much need to be in the park before it rolls in due to unsafe road conditions or simply closed roads.

kenyee
Total Posts: 1528

Wow...awesome :-O

phil hawkins

OK everyone, more nasty weather coming to Yosemite this week; starting today, storm coming w/ snow level to be 3500 ft, so that means snow in the valley! Time to motivate!

2       3       end