Zion Canyon in Fall Colours
/forum/topic/1169891/1

end

brunyan
Total Posts: 124

Very nice. I love that place!

Jeffrey
Total Posts: 9861

There's no doubt that these are all pretty well 'pumped up' with color regardless what operating system you use. I think #3 is the most realistic. In #1, the turquoise ground shrubs and the lavender colored sandstone are very odd.

gdanmitchell
Total Posts: 9622

skibum5 wrote:
[It probably doesn't hurt to a trace over do it since in the real world you also had 3D and higher DR and even wider gamut so to make up for that sometimes a touch extra contrast or saturation can make it more realistic in overall feel even if less realistic hah.
Depends, a judgement call.

Gotta' agree with you there. (Surpised, skibum5? ;-)

A photograph that purports to look exactly like real thing looked, in an objective way, will always be inferior to the real thing since it consists of less than the original experience. Even the most astounding, astonishing, "perfect" composition of that supposedly "real" scene, will have the same issue.

The goal of a great photograph is not to literally recreate the real - which is impossible anyway. I might be to evoke a something of the original subject, but perhaps even more it is about expressing the photographer's view of that subject in a way that tells us something interesting about how the photographer saw the world and about how me might see it as well.

It is hard for me to be consistent about this, but this explains why I can't exactly dismiss a different interpretation, even one that seems overly saturated - though I can be honest about my own response to it.

Dan

skibum5
Total Posts: 16752

gdanmitchell wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
[It probably doesn't hurt to a trace over do it since in the real world you also had 3D and higher DR and even wider gamut so to make up for that sometimes a touch extra contrast or saturation can make it more realistic in overall feel even if less realistic hah.
Depends, a judgement call.

Gotta' agree with you there. (Surpised, skibum5? ;-)

speechless!!!

A photograph that purports to look exactly like real thing looked, in an objective way, will always be inferior to the real thing since it consists of less than the original experience. Even the most astounding, astonishing, "perfect" composition of that supposedly "real" scene, will have the same issue.

yes, and to even further, even the smells of pines in the air, bubbling brook, calling birds, honeysuckle on the air, smell of the salt spray, wet meadow, a cool breeze, warming sun, lots is missing even beyond just the plainly visible

David Leask
Total Posts: 36101

Beautiful shots Nigel, thanks for sharing.
David

nburwell
Total Posts: 3429

An absolutely gorgeous set!

-Nick

alatoo60
Total Posts: 3488

The first two seem too "nuclear" to me, indeed, but may be its my monitor. Really like the last two.

Bones74
Total Posts: 987

Great work! Love 3 and 4... Thumbs up

thw2
Total Posts: 2923

Bold colors! Wow! Nice!

end