Magic Lantern 3rd alpha for 5D Mark III available
/forum/topic/1169429/0

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18141

Third alpha for 5D Mark III
If you shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III, download the third alpha version. This is a small update, mostly with bug fixes and a few handy tweaks.

New or improved features:

• Card test at startup
  • Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
  • New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
  • 16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
  • Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
  • After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
  • Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
  • Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
  • Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)
Release notes | Free download link

skibum5
Total Posts: 16907

Fred Miranda wrote:
If you shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III, download the third alpha version. This is a small update, mostly with bug fixes and a few handy tweaks.

New or improved features:
Card test at startup
Histogram and waveform moved to bottom
New experimental display for focus peaking (extreme sharpness)
16:9 bars for anamorphic preview
Focus box moves faster (not yet customizable)
After taking a picture and pressing Zoom In right away, you can scroll through pictures
Saturation boost when adjusting white balance
Warnings for bad settings (e.g. if you set picture quality to JPEG instead of RAW by mistake)
Dim the red LED while recording (make it less distracting)
Release notes | Free download link

I wonder if they will ever manage to access the full 1920x1080 buffer and not the re-scaled cut down buffer that makes using an external recorder more or less pointless with it even though it makes it a clean HDMI or if we will have to wait until April.

That said ML adds a lot of great usability features, at least some of which surely should have been in the camera in the first place.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19928

Does this replace the Canon 5D III menu and use their own or is it a supplement to the Canon menu system?

skibum5

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Does this replace the Canon 5D III menu and use their own or is it a supplement to the Canon menu system?

In addition. If you hit the trashcan button while in video mode then it brings up its own special menu system.

dwweiche
Total Posts: 1476

Why doesn't Canon hire these developers or contract them out to develop this as standard?

skibum5

dwweiche wrote:
Why doesn't Canon hire these developers or contract them out to develop this as standard?

Because of the MBA/Marketing types. If they wanted that in there it would be in there. Have no doubt that the Canon engineers can do this themselves and probably want to, many an engineer is greatly frustrated by the decisions of his design team non-engineer boss.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19928

skibum5 wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:

In addition. If you hit the trashcan button while in video mode then it brings up its own special menu system.

Ah, that's nifty.

Thanks

CW100
Total Posts: 4700

skibum5 wrote:
dwweiche wrote:

Because of the MBA/Marketing types. If they wanted that in there it would be in there. Have no doubt that the Canon engineers can do this themselves and probably want to, many an engineer is greatly frustrated by the decisions of his design team non-engineer boss.

true, functions are crippled or not included for market segmentation purposes

OntheRez
Total Posts: 2964

CW100 wrote:
skibum5 wrote:
dwweiche wrote:

true, functions are crippled or not included for market segmentation purposes

Don't even want to remember the meetings I've stomped out of nor the words (not suitable for a family audience) when thwarted by marketing droids with pie charts proving that something they've never seen (much less have a clue about) won't sell.

Ask any engineer/designer/creator. Doesn't matter what the field is.

racoll
Total Posts: 3012

Slightly off-topic but somewhat related, can anyone provide me with the link to the Magic Lantern download for the 7D? I remember reading about it on this forum but not knowing much about Magic Lantern (I thought that it was a reference to the guide books!), I didn't take it too seriously. How good are these and how reliable are they?

Andy

rotorwash4944
Total Posts: 159

I have the same question... I believe there is a version for my 60D? This might be a silly question, but do I risk voiding my warranty, or worse, frying my chip?

akivisuals
Total Posts: 1850

I won't say it's impossible to mess up your camera but.... It is supposed to be pretty stable. I use it on my 5D2 and 60D all the time. ML will occasionally do funky stuff like lock up my cameras but I just remove the battery, restart and I'm usually good to go unless the camera doesn't like that specific card with ML.

Once with an earlier version of ML, my 5D2 got screwed up a bit and the back LCD didn't go back to normal for a while. It scared me enough to where I didn't load up ML until the newest, stable version came out.

That said, I LOVE ML. It's the best addition to the Canon firmware I've used and a Godsend for shooting video!

Beni
Total Posts: 8607

I only just found out that ML has an advanced beta for the 5Dc! Tried it last night, fun!

zack_A
Total Posts: 7

Is that possible restore factory firmware after installed lm?

pompo
Total Posts: 610

yes, it actually boots and starts from your memory card it is not permanent on the body you are using

Northeast Bay
Total Posts: 212

racoll wrote:
Slightly off-topic but somewhat related, can anyone provide me with the link to the Magic Lantern download for the 7D? I remember reading about it on this forum but not knowing much about Magic Lantern (I thought that it was a reference to the guide books!), I didn't take it too seriously. How good are these and how reliable are they?

Andy

Andy,

Believe this is the link you are looking for: ML 7D Link

Regards,
Robret