Nikon D4 DSLR firmware update improves autofocus!
/forum/topic/1169289/2

1       2      
       end

sjms
Total Posts: 19401

yep just moments away.
just use one card. either/or neither one has any particular advantage.
this should help from here. I forgot about the "Update" option. since yours is behind a little it may want to update both A and B. that would be a Yes of course.
image 1
shows what you have onboard and should have the term update available
image 2
will show again what's onboard and what is available on your card(if placed on properly) to update to.

L is another item that can de dealt with separately. it is a database of Nikon lens distortion corrections that can be done in camera that are occasionally updated as new products come out. not important if you don't use it. I have the option off and use an external program for lens correction.
http://www.nikonimglib.com/dcdata/index.html#os-windows

nugeny
Total Posts: 5290

Thank you for trying to help, sjms,
I did every thing by the book but I seemed not able to get the "update" choice.
Here is all I can see, I tried all variations, both and one Memory at a time. All show this:

MikeW
Total Posts: 1944

full battery?

nugeny

MikeW wrote:
full battery?

YES

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35632

nugeny wrote:
Here is all I can see, I tried all variations, both and one Memory at a time. All show this:

The download isn't available properly on your card then, or you'd see what's on Steve's menu (image 2)

sjms

that means the file is either the wrong place or your camera is in the wrong mode.
see: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18061/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU0Mzk2NTExL3NpZC9Nb0RvUUdjbA%3D%3D

The firmware cannot be upgraded when Network> Network connection in the Setup menu is set to ON. Be sure to set Network connection to OFF before attempting to upgrade the firmware
if the above issue does not exist then this is how your card can look.
it can be in the card but not in the DCIM folder. it can look like this and will work

nugeny

trenchmonkey wrote:
nugeny wrote:

The download isn't available properly on your card then, or you'd see what's on Steve's menu (image 2)

I saw it .. The downloaded file for sure is is the card. The camera just didn't see it. wonder why!
that is the question.

sjms

read the above link about having your camera in network mode the connection must be off.

nugeny

Done! the third time was the charm. Wonder why, didn't do any thing different nor extra. Any way it is AOK now.
Thanks for all the help.
Bob

sjms

EXCELLENT!!!!!!

stuuke
Total Posts: 1599

My autofocus has pretty much been a disaster since updating the firmware. Has anyone else had issues?

sjms

actually mine has worked w/o issue. I photograph at greatly varying light levels too. first 3 shot previous to the update. last was post

SoundHound
Total Posts: 5325

Mine is fine-two bodies.

Baywing
Total Posts: 436

I noticed an improvement in mine. Nikon rarely if ever has problems associated with firmware upgrades unlike some of the more notable disasters over at Canon. I haven't done one upgrade that has caused any problems and this covers the last 10 years and at least 5 bodies often with multiple upgrades to a single body.
If you AF Fine tune, I'd at least re-check after doing a firmware upgrade. If it goes to Nikon for anything, you also need to check your fine tune settings as Nikon will often tweak the AF during a routine check or any other work.
My D4 went in last month to have the eyepiece shutter replaced and my AF fine tune settings were off by -6 when it returned.

1       2      
       end